Cabela's Euro is coming....

The VX7 is no longer made. I understand that it was considered too expensive. However, the one I have is excellent, comparing quite favourably to my Swarovskis, Kahles and Zeiss. That is a fantastic price for a scope of that quality. The only potential downside is the need to get 35mm rings, which is not at all difficult. Grab it, Tom. You'll never regret the move. Mine sits atop my 300 WSM, right where it belongs.

DrMike":37s179g0 said:
The VX7 is no longer made. I understand that it was considered too expensive. However, the one I have is excellent, comparing quite favourably to my Swarovskis, Kahles and Zeiss. That is a fantastic price for a scope of that quality. The only potential downside is the need to get 35mm rings, which is not at all difficult. Grab it, Tom. You'll never regret the move. Mine sits atop my 300 WSM, right where it belongs.

I thought they were 30mm tubes?

I can't swing it, although I'd love to. I know it's worth it, but I'd be reaching for the $700 for the Meostar scopes I'm looking at.

Dr. Mike, I agree, my Swarovski, (2) Kahles and (4) Zeiss (both the Conquest and the Diavari) are great scopes. I also have a Minox which is good. This is my 2nd Diavari and 3rd Conquest and I have never had a bad one. My kids have the others that I do not have anymore.

That is a good price for the VX-7 either in 30 or 35 mm. So hard to choose!

DrMike":18w74b0u said:

A buddy of mine I talk optics with a lot had a great conversation with me on this. I just processed the VX7 order. I figured out the money. Just means putting some other things off.

For those interested, the deal I got was $899.99 shipped for a brand-spankin'-new 3.5-14x50 Long Range Hunter VX7 with a German #4 reticle. I can send particulars to those who may be interested...not sure if it's ok to post links for that stuff here or not.

Now for mounts....had a line on Talleys at half-off, but the place only had lows. I don't think that'll work with a 50mm scope.

tddeangelo":d3t2ethj said:
DrMike":d3t2ethj said:

A buddy of mine I talk optics with a lot had a great conversation with me on this. I just processed the VX7 order. I figured out the money. Just means putting some other things off.

For those interested, the deal I got was $899.99 shipped for a brand-spankin'-new 3.5-14x50 Long Range Hunter VX7 with a German #4 reticle. I can send particulars to those who may be interested...not sure if it's ok to post links for that stuff here or not.

Now for mounts....had a line on Talleys at half-off, but the place only had lows. I don't think that'll work with a 50mm scope.

Congrats on the scope Tom! That sounds like a really nice piece of glass. I imagine you will find some proper rings and mounts. I would take a look at the rail system by Leupold, Warne, Weaver and others. You will probably have enough room to use low rings in addition to the rail. It will keep that scope pretty low for you and allow great stock weld. Scotty

Congratulations, Tom! You'll love the scope, I'm certain. I surely enjoy mine.

beretzs":kfkn7i8z said:
tddeangelo":kfkn7i8z said:
DrMike":kfkn7i8z said:

Congrats on the scope Tom! That sounds like a really nice piece of glass. I imagine you will find some proper rings and mounts. I would take a look at the rail system by Leupold, Warne, Weaver and others. You will probably have enough room to use low rings in addition to the rail. It will keep that scope pretty low for you and allow great stock weld. Scotty

I will check into it, Scotty.

I do like the concept of the Talley one-piece mounts. $50 from Midway (give or take), not a bad arrangement.

Oh, and if anyone is interested, I will still be checking out the Euro scopes. I can't NOT do it...Cabela's is right by my house!!!

tddeangelo":j8tkvxwm said:

Check with Talley. You are probably right about lows and 50mm scopes, but Talleys do tend to run a little higher than most.

You may just pull it off with the Talleys. Certainly, you should be able to get by with mediums.

DrMike":2dy6sk1k said:
You may just pull it off with the Talleys. Certainly, you should be able to get by with mediums.

Talley said I need the mediums...the sale my friend found only had lows. I could just order them from Midway or elsewhere.

I looked at Leupold PRW's at Cabela's tonight. They look nice. Not sure what bases/rail to put under them, though, if I go that route. I do like the Talley concept, though......less to go wrong, it would seem.

If you got the Leupolds, a MK4 base would work with them, as would a Warne Base. Any of the tactical style picatiny rails would work fine some and be stronger than you could imagine. Scotty

Mediums from Talley will maybe squeek by on a 50mm scope. I tried tham with my Mark V and there was not enough clearance for scope covers.

beretzs":3h34cwxk said:
If you got the Leupolds, a MK4 base would work with them, as would a Warne Base. Any of the tactical style picatiny rails would work fine some and be stronger than you could imagine. Scotty

Those Mk 4 bases must be made of Unobtanium, because they sure ain't cheap!

Blackhawk had a $50 rail on the racks at Cabela's tonight...seemed like it'd work, and was one piece.

Just seems like the $100 or so for mounts/rings is a lot compared to a set of Talleys at half the price?

Oldtrader3":1q5psfxv said:
Mediums from Talley will maybe squeek by on a 50mm scope. I tried tham with my Mark V and there was not enough clearance for scope covers.

I emailed Talley directly to ask that one, and they said the mediums would be fine.

The VX7 ships with the Alumina covers which thread on the scope instead of slipping over the scope housing.

tddeangelo":1bve3frx said:
beretzs":1bve3frx said:

Those Mk 4 bases must be made of Unobtanium, because they sure ain't cheap!

Blackhawk had a $50 rail on the racks at Cabela's tonight...seemed like it'd work, and was one piece.

Just seems like the $100 or so for mounts/rings is a lot compared to a set of Talleys at half the price?

I would check out the EGW's or Warnes also Tom. Any of them will work for you. They are all plenty tough enough for a hunting rifle. Scotty

I have changed my mind on the topic of bases and rings recently. I finally bit the bullet and went across the board to Talley steel bases and either Talley or (mostly) TPS rings. I really like the clean lines and sturdy design of these Mil-Std 1913 (Picatinny) based products. They have absolute structural integrity and repeatability of remounting with ease of scope/ring assembly removal. I am becoming a believer after all these years of messing around with Leupold and Redfield mounts. These new ones are cleaner and more robust, IMHO.

Oldtrader3":13yw8usn said:
I have changed my mind on the topic of bases and rings recently. I finally bit the bullet and went across the board to Talley steel bases and either Talley or (mostly) TPS rings. I really like the clean lines and sturdy design of these Mil-Std 1913 (Picatinny) based products. They have absolute structural integrity and repeatability of remounting with ease of scope/ring assembly removal. I am becoming a believer after all these years of messing around with Leupold and Redfield mounts. These new ones are cleaner and more robust, IMHO.

Getting some Talley one-piece lows, Charlie. Price is right, and I can't seem to find anyone to say anything bad about them.

I am already pretty well done with the conversion. I have (5) sets of TBS and (1) Talley steel ring set installed. Everything else is European ringmounts or .22 claw mounts.

Oldtrader3":rnd3duix said:

Same here Charlie. They are very strong and ultra reliable if they need to be taken off for any reason. I have used them for a long time on service rifles and have finally gotten away from Redfield type mounts. They have worked well, but your set up looks excellent and I like the versatility of them. Scotty

Got to see the Euro this afternoon.....

I compared it side by side with a Conquest (both 3-9x40).

The Euro stomped the Conquest for edge clarity, overall sharpness, and brightness. The Conquest has more consistent eye relief and a heavier duplex, but the Meopta's eye relief seems to be constant from about 4x-9x, and is just a tad longer at 3x.

Price was identical.

For the money, the Euro would win if I had been buying today. No question.

Back