Can I put a broadhead through a shoulder?

Well I shot a second year branch bull this morning and hit him a little too far forward. The arrow entered his left shoulder just missing the shoulder blade took out the big pipe on top of heart, penetrated through the right shoulder blade and exited through the thick part of shoulder. He ran about 50 yards an dropped dead. I found the fletching end completely buried in the left shoulder under the meat, could not find the broadhead end that exited. Range was 43 yards with a 14 year old Mathews bow at 60lbs., 100g Muzzy, going only about 230fps. So they will go through a shoulder blade on an elk. I don't know how to do pictures but will take a picture of shoulder blade when I cut it up.

JD338,

That was a pretty nice setup. I know a few guys who, through about 2007 or 2008, were of the opinion that the MQ1 was the best hunting bow that Matthews produced.

69gto,

You are a blessed man! Hitting the ball joint would have resulted in a lost Elk. I'm glad things worked out so well.

Nimrod: you are so right, it was a little farther than I like to shoot. I switched from PSE to Mathews years ago, they are so much smoother and quieter. Started with MQ32 then MQ1 then a Switchback to get the roller cable guard, all great bows. Well after boning out the shoulders I discovered that the broadhead DID NOT hit the shoulder blade but fully penetrated the thickest part of both shoulders and ribs and exited. Still, outstanding penetration from a 60lb bow. Sorry about the mistake I guess my age is showing.

Stay AWAY from the shoulder. One thing that I tell myself and my wife is to aim for the heart. If the deer drops to run, the arrow will still get lungs.

This happened today. My partner shot a bull elk as it passed at about 15 yards. Unfortunately the near leg was back when it struck and he caught the shoulder blade. It only penetrated about three inches. Lost elk. I have had the same experience. I once had to do a follow up shot on an elk with only a small portion of the body sticking out from behind a large three. The arrow hit the shoulder, flipped up, dropped down, and fell out. Fortunately the first shot did the job. I butchered that shoulder myself and there was just a small cone shaped dent in the shoulder blade. That blade is really tough.

Mathteacher: That's some bad luck but that bull will heal up and be fine, in fact he is probably already chasing cows. Had the same thing happen to me years ago.

Back