Can you believe the $$ savings!!

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
Even though our component cost have gone up, esp powder and primers. I spent a few hours in the reloading room yesterday and figured cost for what my son and I did. I compared to Federal Premium Ammo from Cabelas, I used $52.97 worth of components and if I paid for the ammo it would have been $272.00 plus shipping. I saved $219.00!!!

I tried the saying "I think I can afford another gun after a couple of reloading sessions" to my wife and she just laughed and said "After my new counter tops!!!!". I think I'm stuck.

Point is: Even though component cost is up, so is factory ammo. I know you can go to Wal-Mart and pick up the std caliper rounds still pretty cheap, but thats not the type of bullets I shoot, or as much fun. Bivwak has helped getting bullet cost down, buying 2nds.

It is always cheaper to hand load, and you will shoot more because you will enjoy it more.

Bullets are hurting my cost at the moment. I cant get what I want from Nosler Pro Shop or Bivak. Cant get new or seconds. I love the Accubonds but for anything 30 Caliber its $39 per box here. Boxes of 100 Interbonds $42. I have used Nosler all my life and if they cant keep me stocked I think Im going to give Hornady a try. I have to get something.
Now I have primers that I have paid $23 a brick or less and havent paid more than $17 for powder so cost in still low. But im not paying $39 for a box of Accubonds again

DrMike":2n6ve8au said:
It is always cheaper to hand load, and you will shoot more because you will enjoy it more.

Roger that.

My cast pistol bullets cost me very little to make. Only the labor I put into them.Plus some of the bullets are unavailable to buy right now.

I have been saving lots of money. With the nearly 20 trips to the local shops to buy primers, powder, .22 shells. I have spent less than $40 total. The shelves are still empty every time i look. Online availability of .22 shells was zero last time i looked. unless i wanted to spend over $0.10 per shell.

Just like everyone else, I really enjoy shooting my handloads. However, I also love to handload. It may sound ridiculous but I just enjoy handloading. Even if there wasn't a great saving in handloading i'd still do it just for the shear enjoyment of producing high quality precision ammo.

Other than rimfire ammo, I haven't bought a single round of factory ammo in decades and that's just the way I like it.

Idaho_Elk_Huntr":3acim04a said:
Bullets are hurting my cost at the moment. I cant get what I want from Nosler Pro Shop or Bivak. Cant get new or seconds. I love the Accubonds but for anything 30 Caliber its $39 per box here. Boxes of 100 Interbonds $42. I have used Nosler all my life and if they cant keep me stocked I think Im going to give Hornady a try. I have to get something.
Now I have primers that I have paid $23 a brick or less and havent paid more than $17 for powder so cost in still low. But im not paying $39 for a box of Accubonds again

Have you tried midwayusa? They have been running reloading sales on and off for the past couple months. I picked up two boxes of AB for about $22/box...pretty close to the interbonds. I think they are still on sale for 23 or 24.

I figure it cost about 1/2 the 1st time and its cheaper after that with re-using the brass. And I too love reloading.....except trimming brass-hate that much.

I have enough stuff to last for quite a while unless I would start shooting again almost weekly. I have cut my shooting way back and am hoping for easier acquisition and perhaps a bit cheaper prices in the future.

Long

It is always cheaper to roll your own. I shoot more so I spend more. I shoot a lot of Nosler seconds so that in its self os a big savings.

JD338

Idaho_Elk_Huntr":263cyi7s said:

HA, you shouldnt be complaining about your bullet prices, 50 accubonds up here,(northern bc) cost atleast 55$, and 100 interbonds is still 67$
any powder up here cost 30-33$ and primers are 6$ for 100 :!:
prices are still climbing :(

Yep, I shoot nosler seconds, and military surpluss powder. I bought....well... a good amount of surpluss powder back when you could get it for $3.65 a pound. That was including hazmat delivered to my door.

Back