Canvas Tents

I have been looking at getting a 4 to 6 person Tipi style tent that I can put a folding stove in it. I have a 5th Wheel Toy hauler that I want to use as a base camp and then use the Tipi to get a little further out into the wilderness as a Spike camp. I'm actually looking for a more light weight material so I can pack it in. From what i've been reading the Tipi holds up better to stronger weather than the wall tents do. The current 3 season tent I have doesn't work that well for me. It's a bit drafty and doesn't have a stove jack. I also can't stand up in it and that bugs me when trying to get dressed and move around. I hate having to crawl around.

Arctic Ovens from Alaska Tent and Tarp...beat of both worlds. Easy to set up, dry, and wood stove ready.

Most comfortable tents in the world.

HodgemanAK":1j75cta0 said:
Arctic Ovens from Alaska Tent and Tarp...beat of both worlds. Easy to set up, dry, and wood stove ready.

Most comfortable tents in the world.

Ya - those look pretty danged serious.

Thanks, Guy

I have a 12x14 Kens tent. I have not used it since I bought a Kodiak 10x10. I run a buddy heater on a 10 gallon propane tank. Which runs about 7 days depending on day time shut off or not. The Kodiak 10x14 works great with the big buddy heater. We save the wood for the campfire. One of the guys has the tepee type range tent. Seems to work well but it is not cot friendly. Easy set up and wood stove works in it. One of the guys uses a Kodiak 10x14 with a small wood stove. But he has his kitchen in a horse trailer. One warning on the Buddy heaters. I have had my CO alarm go off when camped at 6500' when running it in my travel trailer. Never a problem at lower elevation.

Guy,

Made any progress with your tent?

I followed the advice of a couple friends who have them and bought a Davis. It was delivered during our snow debacle. Right after that we had a week of heavy rain so all I can say about them is they look good while still in the box it came in! :>)

So while I've never spent any time in it I can say that Davis is a pleasure to work with. I'm a huge fan of the mom & pop stores so I always try to use them first.

No - no progress - certainly a lot to consider though.

I appreciate all the input.

Regards, Guy

Guy,

Instead of a wall tent look at a Cowboy Range Tepee.

They are much much easier to set up. You can get them with stove jacks as well. Get a little larger one than the typical 7x7 that a solo cowboy would use. 10x10 or 12x12 would be ideal I think.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince":ej71hhgd said:
Guy,

Instead of a wall tent look at a Cowboy Range Tepee.

They are much much easier to set up. You can get them with stove jacks as well. Get a little larger one than the typical 7x7 that a solo cowboy would use. 10x10 or 12x12 would be ideal I think.

Vince

Yup. I want/need something a bit smaller than a regular wall tent. Easier to set up alone, and big enough to live in for a while, just me and my dog. MAYBE a friend or family, if they pass muster. :wink:

Guy

May be hard to come by at the moment, but look up SpringBar tent classic Jack 140.
Excellent tent , easy to set up , wind resistant, and with the zip in stove Jack it’s a simple 3 season tent , pack a stove for fall rest of the time use as a normal tent.

super-7":3izorl4f said:
May be hard to come by at the moment, but look up SpringBar tent classic Jack 140.
Excellent tent , easy to set up , wind resistant, and with the zip in stove Jack it’s a simple 3 season tent , pack a stove for fall rest of the time use as a normal tent.

I came across that in my search - it looks good. (y)

Thanks, Guy

Using a MANTA camping teepee tent as a spike camp for your 5th Wheel Toy hauler base camp sounds like a fantastic setup. The lightweight material for easier packing is a wise choice, and the resilience of Tipis in strong weather is a definite advantage.
Really nice spacious tent used it a few times this summer for camping and it was amazing. Looking forward to using it in the winter with a stove :)

Last edited:
I make floorless backpacking tents for a living and use a friend's canvas wall tent with stove for deer camp. That pyramid shape will hold up well in high winds and IS easy to set up quick. Stake out four corners and put up the pole and you can get out of the weather right now. When you have warmed up you can go back outside and tie out more guy lines, chop wood etc.

Attached floor---

Pro's
keeps dust and such out in high winds
Cleaner and possibly drier inside if water sheets on ground
Easier to get the shape correct for set up (less likely to end up with a diamond shape which makes for a flappy tent)

Con's
All in one tent of canvas will be heavier. A wet one may be all you can do to pack it up if one person or your luggage space is small.
Floor can be cleaned separately. (Nice if your site is muddy or where the cattle run (I hunt where they free range))
Less concern about embers from the stove
(Copter rescue sometimes use floorless "Mids" to set up shelter right over a victim to give protection from weather while stabilizing for transport.)

The steep pitch of the walls sheds snow and rain well. The only reason I might put a tarp over it would be to lesson the drying time when you get home.

Another thing about pyramid tents, the door is open to the elements when you go in and out. Having a tarp or extension over the door is useful for a basecamp situation.

My hunter buddies have Soulpad tents in duck. a two and a four person. I think they are a British Brand sewn in Asia. Very nice TeePee style with covered entrance. Lots more stakes to put up tho. Didn't come with stove jack. I sewed one in and due to the floor and weight of the tent it took two of us to move the material around on the sewing machine.

When my other bud got his larger one, he used high heat silicone adhesive to glue the stove jack on. Much easier and is working well.

Back