Cartridges you will never be without.

Songdog":2jqgqfuz said:
DrMike":2jqgqfuz said:
Those shooting Winchesters should be saluted for their commitment to handicapping themselves for the sake of "sportsmanship".

And they seem almost inevitably to excel in accuracy, just as they excel in their appreciate of fine firearms. :mrgreen:

So.... Never underestimate the power of the Handicapped?

A big +1 on that, DrMike!

12ga
243win
9,3x62

With these i can shoot everything from Black Grouse to Moose up to 250meters and keep my fridge full :)

it would be my 270win,45acp,22lr, and the 300winmag.

if i cant kill it with those calibers i proably should not be hunting it.

I guess if I have to be handicapped to Winchesters, I will have to have stick with:

.22 LR-Model 63.
.270 Win-Model 70.
.30-06 Spring-Model 70.

Still get along in life.

Late to this thread. Interesting, but kind of predictable choices. So are mine:

.22 long rifle

.30-06

Everything else is negotiable to one extent or another.

Am tempted to say I'd never let the .308 Win go, but I could see re-barreling it to any number of cartridges, say something in 6mm or 6.5mm...

I could say the .375 H&H, but much as I like it, it's mostly for fun. I don't need it for anything.

I could say the .25-06, as it's put all but one deer since 2005 in my freezer... But it could be replaced. I guess. If I had to...

Yeah, I'd have to keep the .22 and the .30-06, but the others are negotiable if necessary.

This has been an interesting thread I should have also mentioned along with the 260 and 35 Whelen a 22 LR and my old single shot Baikal 12 gauge my late father bought me as my first gun would have to make the list.

Welcome crimsontide, I like your different catagories.

crimsontide,

May we take it that you are not an Auburn fan? Welcome to the forum. It is good to have you aboard. You picked some fine cartridges in some sensible categories.

I'll stick with my original rifle choice in the macho category. However, I might be open to seeing some evidence to the contrary.

220 Swift-It's a real joy to shoot. Fast,flat, not too noisy and easy on the shoulder.
44gr of IMR 4831 under a 55gr Ballistic Tip just devistates the varmits. I have
this cartridge chambered in a Rem 700 Classic. It's the most accurrate factory
rifle I have ever owned. I have to work hard to find a load that won't shoot
MOA or better.

270 Weatherby Mag-What more can I say about this cartridge that dubyam and others haven't said already? It's simply the most versatile North American game cartridge Weatherby offers. My pet load drives a 130gr bullet at almost 3500 fps. Heck, the darn thing shoots flatter than my 220 Swift...... and kicks about like a 30-06!! If Weatherby would chamber it in the Vanguard, it would sell by the boat load. Expensive ammo is no longer an excuse not to own this fine cartridge as Weatherby now offers an economy minded 130 gr spitzer at 35.00 per box. That's about what a box of cheap 270 WSM ammo costs now a days.

Welcome wbyfan1, those are two pretty cool rounds you got there. There are a few other guys that like those two rounds as well here

gerry":1q3b78ho said:
Welcome wbyfan1, those are two pretty cool rounds you got there. There are a few other guys that like those two rounds as well here

Thanks Gerry. Glad to be on board. Lots of knowledgeable folks here.

wbyfan1":3k3ope54 said:
gerry":3k3ope54 said:

Thanks Gerry. Glad to be on board. Lots of knowledgeable folks here.

Welcome aboard buddy! Like Gerry said, I like your choices!

Back