Case cleaning

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
Hi Gents,
which do you guys think is the best way to go about case cleaning?

Tumblers, ultrasonic, else?

So far I have been doing it manually, but I am now almost convinced to get this piece of equipment (and a good one).

Please, advise on methods and best brands/articles.

TY
HAPPY EASTER :wink:

Bluejay

I've been using a Thumlers Tumbler forever. Corn Cob media with a little bit of Brasso mixed in. Clean the neck exteriors with 4/0 steel wool. Clean the neck interior with a brass bore brush about one caliber smaller than what your shooting. Make sure you clean the primer pocket and Make very sure you get any corncob media out of the primer flash hole. Works for me. Good Luck

I still do each one by hand. I like to "feel" the brass during the process, so that I can pick up on any grit/dents/cracks/or whatever. I re-size, clean primer pockets, trim (as required), bevel/chamfer, then use 0000 steel wool with a shell holder and arbor in a hand drill to polish each case. That's the way I've always done it and see no need to change. I know it's slow, but once I get into a rhythm, it goes pretty fast. During the whole process, I've felt and inspected the case numerous times.

Blaine

I have a VibraTech vibrating case cleaner. It has worked well for years.

JD338

You guys clean your rifle cases??????????? What in the world for??

I only clean the inside and outside of case necks. My brass doesn't get "dirty". I do have a vibratoy tumble but rarely find it necessary to tumble rifle cases. Pistol cases always seem to get dirty and see the tumbler fairly often.

I use treated corn-cob media, it works fine.

I tumble my cases after every firing. Im not a cleaning freak, but I can do a better job of examining my cases for cracks and splits if they're clean. I also use a walnut media impregnated with jewellers rouge so it's actually a dry cleaning operating. The media seems to last a lot longer by not using liquids which containate the media. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Hey Guys...I use a tumbler with corn cob with a teaspoon of Midways's Brass Polish. It does a good job quickly!

Welcome to the site ColdSteel. I generally go the same route as you. Although I only use the liquid polish when the media starts to get a little dirty and needs some help.

Long

Back