Case filling fiber

G

I don't know what it's called, nor where to get it, but I wondered if anyone had used anything to fill cases (when shooting small charges in larger cases). I read something about it many years ago with regard to revolver loads, but I don't remember what they used to fill in the airspace in the case after loading the small powder charge. I remember the picture in the magazine looked like cotton or something, but I'd hate to be a test pilot in this instance. Any ideas?

You might want to try polyfill that is used in the sewing crafts for stuffing pillows. All that is needed is about one grain by weight or just a small pinch.

Do not use it in bottlenecked cases. There is a real possibility of ringing the neck in your chamber.

Well, I was actually asking in relation to reduced loads for my son shooting either 243Win or 7mm-08, so apparently polyfill is out. What exactly is 'ringing the neck' anyway?

I'm thinking in terms of using H4895, for sure. I'd looked over the whole 'youth load' section from Hodgdon's website and was just thinking about all that case capacity (loaded down as low as 60%), and how it must affect consistency and ignition. I will be playing around with this information later this year, I hope, so I'm just trying to see if there are things I can do to make it better from the start.

"Ringing the neck" may happen when any filler is used in bottleneck cases. The filler is pushed forward into the neck by the initial ignition before being consumed with the powder. An actual ring will form at the base of the bullet in the rifles chamber neck. If severe enough the ring can affect ejection of future fired cases when the brass flows into it.

I found this out the hard way in my favorite .30-06 when I tried a Red Dot load recommended by a long dead gun writer. Luckily mine is not severe enough to affect ejection, but still shows on every fired case from that rifle.

Since then I have used only SR4759 or IMR4895 in reduced loads. The SR4759 works best in severely reduced loads, like a 140gr bullet at 1800 - 2100 fps in a 7mm-08. The IMR4895 works best with faster loads. FWIW, filler is not needed with either powder.

I have worked up a SR4759 reduced load in most of my rifles. A 235gr bullet in a .375 H&H at 1900fps is a lot more comfortable to practice with than is a 300gr at 2600. Barrels last much longer, as does your shoulder.

dubyam,

I would follow Powerstrokes recomendation on the Hodgdon Youth Load data. Work up a load and then adjust the seating depth to fine tune the accuracy. I'm confident you can get a load to shoot MOD (minute of deer) as far as your youngster can shoot comfortably.

JD338

The best case filler I've found is called Gun Powder. I've seen too many accidents where someone was trying to get off cheap by using a small charge of a fast burning powder, and something went wrong, destroying an expensive gun. Almost all of my pet load involve a slow burning powder that is slightly compressed with a bullet seated near maximum length. This eliminates the problem of unfilled space, eliminate the possibility of a double charge, or even the worry of an overcharge if your scale is off by 10 grains. I understand you may be concerned about recoil for you kid, but a reduced load in a .243?? I hope you're not planning to shoot anything bigger then a Jack Rabbit.

You know, before you spout off and belittle other people's choices, maybe you ought to educate yourself a little better to the subject at hand. This link was posted earlier, and it might do you good to read it. I am not trying to get off cheap (I own, handload, and shoot Weatherby cartridges, cheap is not in my shooting vocabulary!) by using smaller charges of powder. I am looking for a specific solution to a specific problem, rather than your response, which, condensed, appears to be, "Tell your son to suck it up, and quit being a cheapskate." This forum thrives on it's lack of abrasiveness. Please don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Dubyam, I sorry I didn't mean any offence.
You are correct, Weatherby makes a very fine rifle, and for what you get, the Vanguards a very good value.
I agree with you that I wouldn't want to load something down to only 60% case capacity. Flashovers are not fun. As far as a solution to your problem is concerned, I still believe what you are looking for is a slower burning powder. You could reduce your velocity, reduce the recoil for you son, not have the empty space, and avoid the problems of "ringing the neck" or ruining a nice Weatherby. I'm sure someone on this forum could run one of those fancy programs for you and suggest a powder for you purpose. I'd offer my best suggestion, but I just dont' know enough about what you are loading. If you wish to tell me a little more, I'm happy to share my best idea's.
When It comes to Wives and kids, I'm with you. I believe in pretty guns for wife, big recoil pads for the kids, and yes, I knock of a few grains of power for them.
Good luck, I hope you find a good solution.

I won't be loading any of my Weatherby rounds down for my son. Sorry if that was not clear. I don't load magnum rounds down, as it seems they have a habit of not liking that, vehemently. What I will be loading down is one of several short action cartridges, either a 243Win, 257Roberts, 260Rem, 7mm-08, 30-30Win, or 308Win. For obvious reasons, I don't want to try to load down my 30-30, as it is pretty darn slow to start with. The ideal setup is something like a .260Rem, as I can get 100gr Nosler Partitions for it (suitable for deer) and load them at velocities suitable for 100yds max range with recoil in the range of 5-6lbs. I will be keeping everyone posted on my results. My only question about the case filling fiber was that I knew of it's use in revolver rounds, and wondered if it would translate. Apparently it doesn't.

Even with revolvers, we've had a couple guys around here blow up there guns using case filler. One was using sawdust, and it was probably accompanied by some kind of human error.
You mentioned .257 Roberts?
I know you have some IMR7828 in the cabinet.
44-45gr of that should push a 100gr PT around 2600 to 2650.
I would think he could harvest a whitetale out to a couple hundred yards with that.

Back