Case Head Separation and concentricity

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
Using the RCBS Concentricity Gauge I find that some of my 30-06 cases are showing the initial signs of head separation. By this I mean the dial indicator bounces over the likely spot for separation showing about .002 +/- thinning of the wall thickness. Does this indicate that it is time to trash these cases or is there a little remaining life in the case? How much thinning becomes significant?

I am loading near max loads, 56.0 gr H4350 and 61.0 gr of Reloder 22 for Nosler 180 gr Partition and Accubonds.

After sizing my cases I check neck concentricity and find most are .002 or less run out. After using a RCBS Competition Seater Die in my old Lyman Spartan press I check concentricity of the bullets, again Nosler 180 Partitions, and find .005 to .007 run out. Using the Hornady seater die in a New Dimension Die Set that I picked up used at my LGS the results are .005 run out with the same load.
Can anyone point me to a solution to reduce the run out of my finished loads? Thank you in advance. Rol

For case head separation I still use the old paper clip
However I hardly load near max anymore.
As for run out I always rotate my case in the holder as I seat bullets
and have always got good results. Skid

I too use a sharp object and scrape down by the ring from the inside of the case. A small thin bladed screwdriver can do pretty good at this. I've also noticed with some of these new really bright small LED flashlight alot of times when you look inside there you can see the crack inside to before you see it on the outside.

Rol,

I also check the inside of the case with a bent paper clip.

The paper clip trick might sound like it's hit-and-miss, or primitive, or cheesy, but it really does work. Your fingers are a lot more sensitive than you might think.

Back