case trimmer

romex2121

Beginner
Mar 13, 2009
im having a little trouble with my Lymann universal case trimmer,, it doesnt seem to want to hold the case ( 30/06 ) very well,, its like its not locking it in place,, heres how ive been doing it-- insert case,bring piolot to case mouth , lock case down and start trimming, the case will start turning in the chuck :x i have to unlock and lock it back 2 ta 3 times to trim one case,, very frustrating,, also the die seems a bit tight and binding im wondering if thats not the whole problem right there,, do i need to oil the die with some sort of grafite or lube of some sort ???
if you have any comments please let me know,, this is very agravating :x

+1 for Lee trimmers/length gages. All I use except for a dedicated lyman trimmer for 204 cases. Simple, fool proof, cheap, and accurate.

BTW if you call Lee and tell them

--length of case you desire
--shell holder # and
--diameter

They will make you one of your choice. I had them made for the following because they were/are not generally made or made yet at the beginning of their manufacture.

223 wssm
243 wssm
270 Bee
7mm Bee
270 WSM
378 Bee
356 win
358 win
416 Bee
450 Marlin
500 S&W
204 Ruger

and many more!

im new to reloading so i get suckerd into what the guy behind the counter says is good :oops: from looking at the lee tool ,, i think with alittle brain scratchin ( mounting on the bench ) and a small drill this would be a good idea. anyone want to buy a Lyman case trimmer?? :lol:

I use a cordless screwdriver and it works GREAT! The best part is that it is very simple to use and it is IMPOSSIBLE to over or under trim! No adjusting no tightening no worries about measuring afterwords and re working the issue!...

Put the case in shell holder

screw it in the portion that has the hex stud (lock stud) that goes into the drill or screwdriver

screw length gage into cutter and trim

cutrbar.jpg

csetools.jpg

and website

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog ... secon.html

I've used the Lee system, but I switched to the L.E. Wilson Trimmer for rifle brass. Adjustable, reasonably priced, incredibly accurate and consistent. Sinclair sell a fancy base and micrometer adjustment, as well as other accessories for it that are very nice, but not really necessary.

Andy

Yup. I got rid of my old Lyman trimmer - it worked better when lubed, but still produced a variety of different case lengths - and purchased a Wilson trimmer a few years ago. I just put it in my small bench vise and use it from that. Absolutely no complaints about it. Great piece of gear.

i think im gonna give it a try ,, order tomorrow,, so what all im i gonna need for the 30/06??? thanks

I'm with Pop and Yote......I use the Lee trimmers for all of my cartridges and they are idiot proof. I couldn't be happier with them.

Scott Spencer":cocr8um9 said:
I'm with Pop and Yote......I use the Lee trimmers for all of my cartridges and they are idiot proof. I couldn't be happier with them.

Same thing for me... There was not one for my 300SAUM, but I found than the 308 had the exact same case length, so I ordered the shell holder for the 300 WSM and the case length gauge for the 308... But I advised Lee that they already had the stuff to make the kit for the SAUM with the stuff of the WSM and 308... They are now available for the SAUM...

But to complete that kit, I use that:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=136199

Lee Case Trimmer Cutter with Ball Grip, to get better grip ;) Just to screw the gauge in the cutter and you are ready to go... Fast and easy, with a cordless screwdriver like POP...

thanks for the feed back and pics ,, i havent orderd yet but im going to,,
the wind has been blowing here so much here lately i cant shoot anyway :x also turkey opens next week ,, i cant wait to get out and show uncle tom what my 870 did to his brother last year :grin:

Back