Case Trimmer

old_school_guy

Beginner
Jan 8, 2017
I'm needing a new case trimmer and after reading reviews of several different brands, I'm not certain. Seems like every one I research has both great and terrible reviews. I was wanting an RCBS Trim Pro 90355 but mixed reviews. I'm wanting a kit that I don't have to go back out and buy pilots or shell holders for. All my reloading is for high power deer rifles. What would you guys suggest for a quality manual trimmer less than $150 range? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have both an RCBS Trim Pro-2 and a Redding Model 2400 Manual Lathe. Each works well. Either requires pilots, as do most lathes. The Model 2400 uses a collet to hold the case. Hence, there is no requirement for shell holders. I've used at various times in the past Forster and Lyman lathes; each worked well. None of these are overly expensive.

I actually have the older model that uses collets to hold the cases and works fine for me. But this one should work well for the beginner or casual reloader. The fancy ones are an improvement for the serious bench rest shooters who need to wring everything they can out of their ammo for accuracy.JMO

sask boy":3mog3qf1 said:
I have an old Lyman and it works very well for me (y).

Blessings,
Dan

me too . I did upgrade it to the hex shaft so I can run it with a drill .

truck driver":2o3no5me said:
I actually have the older model that uses collets to hold the cases and works fine for me. But this one should work well for the beginner or casual reloader. The fancy ones are an improvement for the serious bench rest shooters who need to wring everything they can out of their ammo for accuracy.JMO

Same here - does everything I need it to do.

I have an RCBS electric laithe and the 5 station RCBS prep Center..... but more often than not I grab my good old Lee depth stop case specific trimmers in conjunction with Universal chuck.....fast, simple...0 setup....

TackDriver284":1v4h1fjw said:
waveslayer":1v4h1fjw said:
Have you checked out Little Crow fastest trimmer? It's really good
https://littlecrowgunworks.com/product/ ... 16fd43adaa

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

I saw that one, looks sweet but expensive buying one for each caliber.
You just buy a collet for each one. It's cheap and much faster then what others have been posting. I have one and I trim about 15 different calibers with it

Hey kraky1, that's how I'm doing mine now. But I have been increasing the amount that I load, so I want an easier way to do it. LOL

waveslayer":8uk1p2xf said:
TackDriver284":8uk1p2xf said:
waveslayer":8uk1p2xf said:
Have you checked out Little Crow fastest trimmer? It's really good
https://littlecrowgunworks.com/product/ ... 16fd43adaa

I saw that one, looks sweet but expensive buying one for each caliber.
You just buy a collet for each one. It's cheap and much faster then what others have been posting. I have one and I trim about 15 different calibers with it

Checked out the site, I see you can use the same collet for a few cartridges like the 7mm / 300 Mag, so cool. I'll look into it soon and get them. Thanks

Many years ago I ground the handle off my Lyman Universal trimmer and turned the shaft down to a quarter inch so that I could attach any variable speed drill motor. Now you don't have to. Lyman and others make models like that. It saves a lot of work. But for someone who already has an old hand crank, it is the way to go.

Excellent step, MT. Welcome aboard. Many of us had to adapt in years past. Now, those adaptations are provided, so that we are spoiled.

DrMike":39vsoir6 said:
Excellent step, MT. Welcome aboard. Many of us had to adapt in years past. Now, those adaptations are provided, so that we are spoiled.
We may be spoiled now but we sure did learn a lot along the way that most will never experience. :grin:

I guess I better get with it and get one of those little crow trimmers on order for my 308 size cases and the 3006.
In general I probably trim more to make sure the case mouths are square than I do for the purpose of trimming.
I have the Sinclair inserts shown in the video here for almost every caliber of gun I have.... these are really cheap and they work really good and you'll be surprised how much less you really have to trim..... I don't have one Factory gun that doesn't have at least .015 more trimming room then sammi specs and most are over that. I've actually Worn cases out before they needed trimming...

https://youtu.be/JKnXJxaAw2U

Back