CDS dials vs B&C recticle

orchemo

Handloader
Dec 13, 2006
Planning for my winter project.

I have a new to me, 300 WSM coming. Will be replacing by current 300 WSM rifle.

I have two Leupold VX-3 scopes laying around. Both are 3.5-10 x 40.

One has the B&C recticle and one has a CDS dial with a free coupon for a custom dial.

The B&C is pretty close with the 300 WSM shooting 180 AB.

I have a VX-3 with CDS dials on my 243 and it is spot on through 500 yds.

This is a hunting rifle and I feel confident in shooting any of my hunting rifles at 300 yds. With a perfect set-up I might shoot 400 yds, but not by choice.

Anyone have an opinion on B&C verse CDS?

Cheers

Yeah, I'm with Fotis, the BDC's, B&C's work well, but nothing beats just straight up dialing for accuracy. I like a few of the drop compensating reticles, but I would take a dial everytime.

I have never owned a scope that is CDS. I do have a couple different designs of B&C type reticles, including a TDS, and they work pretty well, especially since I have a self inflicted 400 yard shooting limit on game.

Thanks for the thoughts. I am also leaning CDS.

But first it is off to ID Friday for a 10 day hunt.

Chers

Eric,

I have the CDS dial on a VX-3 3.5-10x40mm mounted on my 280 AI and it is spot on out to 600 yds. I have no trouble hitting water filled gallon milk jugs at 500 yds.

JD338

I'd choose CDS as the dial up is good at any power on your scope.
The BDC is not unless you carry a card for each power on the scope or find a program for your phone to do the math for you.

Played with dials on my 223 today in a stiff wind, and I'd go with dials any day.

I do direct dial, I don't have a CDS scope however. I leave my standard MOA dial on my scope. I run a ballistics program in tandem with a kestrel and Leica range finder in the field. This is the most accurate way to shoot long range that I've found. It allows me to compensate for temp, elevation (station pressure), humidity and angles, Coriolis and spin drift for every shot.

I went out today with my dad actually with my .300 and his '06 just as a final check for hunting season and shot milk jugs at 622, 816 and 1,041 yards. Then for grins I took one shot at one at 1,367 yards with my .300; went about a half - three-quarter MOA right but elevation was spot on. It's still there though, I'm going to have to try another shot at it next time.

CDS-I have a couple older duplex scopes on rifles I like too much to change them, but the cds is so simple and accurate that I have largely joined that methodology.
I started using them on guns that were for my daugjters and have stayed with them since then. They just range and shoot, simple, successful.
People tend to forget you can still sight in for 200 yards and use holdover just like on a regular duplex scope if there isn’t time to range and dial.

Last edited:
I have some scopes now with the CDS dials, but have yet to send in for them.
I have been using the B&C for years and found it to be good and quick in the field. You just have to remember to have the scope's power setting on the proper triangle for your velocity.
Over the years, I have only taken a few shots on animals over 400 yards and this includes wounded animals. The first was a gross under estimation of range, the second was known and the third was on a wounded deer I had been looking for over a couple of days. The B&C reticle was used successfully on the latter two animals.
My 300 WSM originally had a duplex reticle, but has been upgraded to the B&C and has worked very well over the years. (I too shoot the 180 gr AB in that rifle @ 2978 fps, producing slightly better than 1/2" groups.)
I like the idea of the dial, but if getting ready for follow up shots, the B&C is just a hair quicker.

I've got both and have used both extensively. If you're shooting under 400yds, the B&C is much faster and very reliable. I don't worry about matching the drop exactly. I use the 400yd reticle and zero it dead on at 400yds. If you check the 200yd & 300yd crosshairs they are never off enough to make any difference. It's when you site in using the 100yd crosshair that you find the 400yd crosshair off.

I like the dial up system too, but it's mostly advantageous when shooting beyond 400yds where the drop can become a real issue.

Each system has its place IMO.

CDS is fine if you have 1 load for that rifle , or you invest in multiple dials for each load you work up per rifle. Under 400yds hold overs is all that is needed.

Since I might have to switch loads, and I keep it under 500 yards, I prefer the ballistic drop reticle.

Vince

Yes multiple dials-my .300 wm for example has a very Specific dial based on my hand loads, common altitude and temps etc.
Then I took it to africa. Had a new dial built for that different bullet and very general conditions expected. Had to sight in with it
But after that the performance was outstanding. Ph would range with his binos and I would be ready to dial then fire. I’ve heard guys being too slow with the system but I’ve not had issues.
Some rifles have three or four dials built-one for varmints. Heavy bullets, different type bullet etc-generally based on my hand load info that I provide them.

CDS is fine if you have 1 load for that rifle , or you invest in multiple dials for each load you work up per rifle. Under 400yds hold overs is all that is needed.
Since I have multiple rifles in most calibers, I currently run (or plan to run) a single load in each rifle based on the selected bullet type and weight. And I choose the rifle and load based on the game and terrain for the planned hunt.
For example:
.257": 100 gr BT in 250 Savage, 110 gr AB in 250AI and 115 gr BT in 257 Roberts
.264": 130 gr AB in 6.5 Creedmoor, 140 gr AB in 6.5x55 and 140 gr AB in 6.5 PRC
.284": 140 gr AB in 7mm-08, 150 gr AB in 280 Rem and 160 gr AB in 7MM STW
.338": 200 gr AB in the Sako and 210 gr PT in the M88 in 338 Federal, and 215 gr SGK in 338-06
.358": 180 gr HC in 35 Rem, 220 gr HC in BLR and 225 gr SGK in Rem 700 in 358 Win

While I have only run the one scope with the option for CDS on a rifle so far (VX-5HD 2-10x42 w/ Firedot on the Sako in 338 Federal) and I still have to develop the final load for this rifle with the 200 gr AB, I have not yet ordered the CDS dial. Although I have been thinking of putting it on the Rem 700 in 358 Win, and putting the used VX-6HD 2-12x42 Illuminated B&C on the 338 Federal instead.
And I am waiting to take the X Bolt in to get the 6.5 PRC Wilson carbon fibre barrel screwed on so that I can work up the 140 gr AB load for it for the VX-5HD 3-15x44 B&C. Once this has all been accomplished and final loads determined, I will order the CDS dials.
The challenge then becomes the elevations as for most of my hunting, that is easy (approx. 2200' asl) ...but I make regular trips to the mountains for elk, caribou, sheep and goats and they can vary significantly (5000-7000'+).

Back