Centerfire Rifle For 7 Year old

280SOLIDBASE

Beginner
Dec 25, 2007
Gentlemen,

The PA Game Commission has recently started a mentored youth hunting program http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view ... 0&q=168353

I am looking to purchase a rifle for my 7 year old son to hunt deer in the woods of western PA. The average shot would be 30 - 100 yards (unless looking over a field or utility line). As for youth rifles available after looking over Remington's site and Ruger's I only have a few options and am wondering what some of you may suggest in a lightweight, low recoil rifle & cartridge combination?

The cartridges in consideration are .243 Win, 6mm Rem, .260 Rem. and .257 Roberts, and a slight eye on a 7mm-08, (7mm-08 may be a bit much for a 7 yr. old) but always open to other suggestions on cartridges.

If it matters in any of your opinions as to lean one way or another, I already have reloading components for the .243 Win. and 7mm-08. My 13 year old has a Remington 700 SPS in 7mm-08 which he has been shooting for 3 years and has always shot well.

I'm building my 7 year old grandson a short lite weight 223 on a Remington 700 action. Shots at deer will be 100 yards and under.

280SOLIDBASE,

As you know, the 257 Roberts is one of my favorites with plenty of power for deer with very light recoil. The only problem is finding one. If you look for a used one, get the long action so that the bullets can be seated out. When loaded to its potential, the 257 Bob is right on the heals of the
25-06. The 100 gr BT will kill deer like lighting.

The 260 Rem and 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser would also be excellent choices. Light loads with the 100 gr PT will get the job done on the biggest of WT deer. The 120 gr BT is perfect for deer.

The 7mm-08 would also be an excellent choice. Load it with the 120 gr BT and a youth load and your son will have an exceptional deer slayer.

You could try a youth load in youor older son's 7mm08 to see if your younger son can tolerate the recoil. http://www.hodgdon.com/data/youth/index.php
Make sure that he has both ear plugs and muffs to help him overcome muzzel blast.

The Remington M7 Youth would be a nice handeling rifle. Also available is a M700 SPS Youth. When you son get a litle bigger, you can get a standard stock and he will be set.

Hope this helps you out.

JD338

280solidbase
There are also Savage youth rifles in almost all their models including package models with scopes. They have accutriggers and are probably cheaper and more accurate than any of the other brand/models mentioned.
Just another option to consider!
Good luck and send pictures of the hunters first animal :grin:

JD338...I see what you mean about the avaiability of the .257 Bob. The only new one I can find is in the Ruger M77 Hawkeye, and it's not a youth model. I am leaning towards the 7mm-08 as you mentioned and making up some reduced loads with the 85 gr. BT and then if he deals with it ok; work him up to some hunting weight loads with the 120 gr. BT's.

As for the rifle itself, I had thought about the youth models in the Remington line; but I was not completely aware that you could replace the youth stock with a full sized stock later on. Being that I'm already set-up to load 7mm-08's and I can't find a youth model .257 Bob, this may be the way for my son and I to go.

Greg Nolan...I looked into the Savage line and have heard they have a reputation of good shooting rifles. It may be easier to find a full sized stock at a later date for a Remington rather than a youth stock now to fit a Savage. I will have to look into that option in more depth...just a thought for now.

I appreciate everyone taking time to answer my questions...thank you all

280................Since you already have the reloading components for the 7mm/08, if I were you, that cartridge would be my 1st choice! Your 7 year old will grow into that caliber nicely and continue with that cartridge into adulthood! It can also be loaded down to reduce the affects of recoil................At 6'3" and 240 lbs., my dimensions are not exactly,,, youth size! But that certainly does not mean that adults can`t enjoy compact rifles!........After 35+ years of owning a full sized 300 Win. Vanguard, I decided to convert. I own the Ruger Frontier Mk2 compact 16.5" barrel in 300 WSM, which also is available in the 7mm/08. I did look at other compacts including Remingtons, Savage, Weatherbys etc. Then, I came across the Ruger Frontier!........To be honest, at 35.5" long, no other compact handles as well as these little Rugers. But the Ruger has an advantage that no other compact does. You can mount a scope conventionally over the receiver OR mount one on the barrel forward of the action as a scout scope! Ruger supplies the scout base for mounting. I use two scopes and go both ways depending on my hunting needs...............With the scout scope mounted and if needed, this little rifle is extremely fast to shoulder and is very quick to the target! No scope whacking worrys in the scout position either!.......For long range plains work, I go the conventional mounted method. For closer hunting I use the scout scope. You can choose one or the other or both!!..............Compared with a 24" tube or at a 31% greater length, your velocity loss with the shorter barrel will only be about 4.5%. My personal chrono results confirm that! Your intended game won`t know the difference!..................There is a real good article by Dick Metcalf now at ,,,,shootingtimes.com. From the home page, click on "long guns" scroll down and on page 2 or 3 you`ll find that article entitled "Short Answer About Scout Styled Rifles." He discusses the minimal velocity loss, why shorter barrels are inherently more accurate and compared other compacts. His test rifle? A 7mm/08 Frontier!!! There are, if I remember, two other nice articles on the G&A website as well.............The Ruger Frontier was also nominated for rifle of the year in `05 by G&A! Came in a very close 2nd!.............The Ruger Frontier should definetely be on your short list of choices! Simply outstanding in the field! If chosen, your son will be pleased.........

280...........If you do go with the Ruger Frontier, you will not need to worry about changing the stock as your son grows! Trust me on that one!!! Even with my size and reach, the Frontier`s dimensions are absolutely perfect for its intended purpose!!!

JD beat me to it. I have both the 7-08 Varmiter Rem700 & a .260 youth M7. The .260 is my wife's of which I shoot now more than she does. JD is correct with swapping stocks as I generally keep it as the youth stock, but have a synthetic that it drops right into. I have no issues with the youth stock. The .260 has been used for several cow elk hunts and taken them out a little past the 300yrd mark with 120gr B-tips.

With all that being said, the 7-08 is a very hard round to beat and you are already set up to shoot it. ( youth loads availalbe as JD states as well )
Remington also has that in a mountain rifle ( stainless synthetic ) no frills that is very light or again the model 7.

I'd favor the 7-08 if he can handle the recoil side due to it having a little more on the receiving end.
If he's very confident and excellent with shot placement at those yardages you mentioned then the .260 will do it ALL.

Keep us posted on your decision

Go Savage/Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 my favorite small kid gun. Only 265$ on gunbroker NIB and if he/she likes it then upgrades are available....

Back