Changing Primers - Am I going to be ok?

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
I have worked a great hunting load for my 300 WSM...
Norma Brass, 68gr. reloader 22, 180 Partition, federal 215 primers

My problem is I have ran out of Federal 215's and none of the local stores have any. I do however have a large supplies of CCI 250 primers...

If I keep everything the same except for using the CCI 250's, is it going to change things that much or will I be ok?

What I would do...load up three rounds each at 67.1, 67.4, 67.7, and 68.0 grains and take a trip to the range. That way I'd see if any pressure issues arise and/or a change affecting accuracy. I'd take the time to set up the chronograph, too. A little practice would be a good thing anyway.

I have been forced to change primers on more than one occasion and have not noticed a discernible difference in velocity or accuracy. Naturally, I didn't switch from standard to magnum or vice-a-versa.

There is enough difference in brisance to merit the approach RR suggested. You may be fine. But...

I wouldn't take the chance my self, I would drop back like others have said and work back up. It's better to burn a few rounds to see how things might have changed than wish like hell you had done so.

Its been my understanding that Fed 215 primers were hotter than the CCI 250's...if that's the case would pressures really be higher?

I think all the guys are tell you the correct way to go about this and if it were me I would load a few and work up to the load I used before with the other primer. One rule of thumb in reloading is if you change a component you work up a new load. You wouldn't change the bullet to a 180gr GK and not change the powder charge so why would you change the primer with out testing?

Depending how you value your time, it might be worth buying a few boxes online and just paying the HazMat on them. I have to drive an hour each way to the range (gas $) plus my time. Divide the HazMat fee among a few boxes of primers or pounds of powder and... I'd do it in a second. It's just not worth it - to me - to change an accurate load and mess around.

Just my thoughts.

Back