CHP helicopter saves hiker from mountain lion

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
"It took some quick thinking and work by two CHP helicopter pilots to save a hiker from a mountain lion near Colfax, officials said.

Officers Monty Emery and David White were dispatched Saturday to help hiker David Nash, of Rocklin, who was being stalked by a mountain lion on the Stevens Trail in Placer County.

Nash was unable to scare off the lion, which was blocking his path two miles from the trailhead, and the sun was setting.

“You know, I shudder to think what would have happened if [Nash] wouldn’t have had a cellphone…to call for help,” White told Fox40 in Sacramento.

Stevens Trail is a short flight from the CHP’s Air Operations Unit at the Auburn Airport. Emery and White flew from there to Nash’s location on the trail. They found him frantically waving a flashlight, with the lion standing 20 to 30 feet in front of him.

But there was no suitable place to land the helicopter.
“I’d never scared off a mountain lion before using a helicopter,” Emery said.

They had to fly in low and close to Nash for the mountain lion to take off and run up the mountain, White said.

”We were able to hover over the top of Mr. Nash with a bright light, which is our night sun spotlight," White said. "And we stayed over the top of him until he met up with deputies further up the trail.”

A state Fish and Wildlife warden went to the trail Sunday to put up warning signs, but when the lion aggressively approached him, he shot and killed it, according to department officials."

-- Dennis Shanahan, Fox40 Sacramento

Link to the story: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... -lion.html

I think I know what most of us here on this forum would have done if confronted by an aggressive mountain lion while out hiking some trail... Would have saved the CHP a flight! :grin: Of course then I'd be in trouble for killing a Precious Kalifornia Kitty. Sheesh.

Just happens I've hiked that area off and on for many years. Have some friends in the area. Part of the Gold Rush area from the 1849 Gold Rush. Very wild, steep & brushy. Outstanding area to hike! And yes, I think I've always had a sidearm with me while hiking it.

Regards, Guy

Fascinating story. Unusual, though not unheard of, for a lion to be that aggressive, especially facing an adult.

How long since hunting lions in California was legal?

It seems this one had no fear of man.

I believe that it was in 1990 that mountain lion hunting was eliminated. I remember that during the next two summers between 6-7 people were mauled on the American River bike trail while jogging. I have not heard much in the way of mountain lion attacks since that time.

Thanks. for sharing. I think a person's an idiot for not hiking with anysort of firearm or means of protetion.

Corey

It is actually illegal to carry a side arm while hiking in Ca if you are not hunting, fishing, or have a CCW

runtohunt":2fje84rk said:
It is actually illegal to carry a side arm while hiking in Ca if you are not hunting, fishing, or have a CCW

So, you carry a fishing rod and a sidearm while hiking. :grin:

DrMike":34zubf8m said:
runtohunt":34zubf8m said:

DrMike":34zubf8m said:
runtohunt":34zubf8m said:

Or at least ten feet of fishing line and a small hook :wink:

Cool story. Glad it didn't take a turn for the worse. Of course people now will say all a person needs for defense is a cell phone and the whole world will be a safer place.

I never would have thought to call the Highway patrol Helicopters. My friends would never let me live that one down! :roll:

runtohunt":294fi4c2 said:

The Peoples Democratic Republic of Kalifornia never seizes to amaze me.

Do you suppose a large caliber pistol would have done the same job? This is a classic example where natural selection has been interrupted by mans intervention

FOTIS":1kbbp20q said:
runtohunt":1kbbp20q said:

The Peoples Democratic Republic of Kalifornia never seizes to amaze me.

You all would love it here...

:roll:

Back