Chrony

old #7

Handloader
Sep 9, 2006
I finally bought a chrony. Its a master shooting chrony - beta model if that makes any sense.
I can't wait to try it out.
Because it's going to rain HARD tommorrow I think I will start with my benjamin 20cal pellet gun, in the back yard under the porch, and follow up with the wrist rocket.
It's going to be decent on Sunday and I haven't shot anything in three weeks. I have a feeling my shoulder may be a bit sore come Monday. I have multiple loads for multiple rifles to shoot. After all that shooting I will be stuck in the reloading room. Ooh darn :grin: :grin: :grin:
I don't think I will get any sleep this weekend.

old #7

Congratulations on your master shooting chrony. Its a valuable tool for reloading and you will soon wonder how you got this far without one.

Let us know how it works for you.

JD338

I have a chronograph (pro-chrono II) too and love it, I've only used it twice, mine only take about three minutes to set up, take longer to bring the stuff outside that it does to set it up. good luck and have fun.

You made a wise choice in your chrono. I've had one a while, and it has all but retired my PACT Professional. You will find that some of your handloads aren't doing what the book said they are, and some are doing exactly what you want. I use mine to help determine pressure, and you'll love having the added information. Congratulations and enjoy your new toy!

old #7":jvywxrg1 said:
I finally bought a chrony. Its a master shooting chrony - beta model if that makes any sense.
I can't wait to try it out.
Because it's going to rain HARD tommorrow I think I will start with my benjamin 20cal pellet gun, in the back yard under the porch, and follow up with the wrist rocket.
It's going to be decent on Sunday and I haven't shot anything in three weeks. I have a feeling my shoulder may be a bit sore come Monday. I have multiple loads for multiple rifles to shoot. After all that shooting I will be stuck in the reloading room. Ooh darn :grin: :grin: :grin:
I don't think I will get any sleep this weekend.

FINALLY!

Your life is now officially changed. What an eye-opener huh?

Things have indeed come a long way! My first chronograph was a unit that read out a "time" which one then had to look up in a chart in the accompanying manual to get the velocity. What a pain. Congratulations on your purchase! You will find this unit an asset for your reloading endeavors, and you will soon wonder how you got along without it. Regards, Eagleye.

I have the same chrony - you're gonna love it, until it starts messing with your head (in a good way).

I for one know that what I thought I was getting and what I was actually getting were often miles apart. This will open up a whole new world to your shooting.

Have fun. Mine certainly made me ask more questions than answer them initially.

Matt

I have been shooting through the crony for a couple of weekends and you guys are right. How did I do anything before now. I'm not even sure I could "tie my shoe" as far as reloading goes before having a chrony.
I went to the range today and got some great results with my Rem 700 30-06. I also got great results with my 280 but screwed up and forgot to switch strings before shooting another rifle. I did mamage to write down the velocities but the E.S and the S.D are wrong. Anyway I shot a couple of 1' groups with the 280 while sighting in for a 250yd zero.
The crony along with a ballistics program is awesome to say the least.
These are the best results from my '06. I was shooting groups of five to find the best c.o.l.

30-06
Nosler 165gr AB
RL-19- 62gr compressed
CCI 250
R-P brass
COL 3.335

5 shots
Average vel- 2882
E.S.- 20.62
S.D.- 8.0
group was .75 measured outside.

Good for you man! This is where the rubber really meats the road. All the hype goes away and you can really see what's going on for yourself. It was a real eye opener for me too. The reloading manuals are (abstract) or over zealous in their predictions. It will help bring your groups together and your trajactories into reality. I shot my 338 WM for 10 years before I realized my velocity was 150 fps. less than the reloading manual claimed. A wise gunwriter wrote that the velocities you see in the manuals are realistic, the loads they show aren't.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

old #7":ls50a6k2 said:
I have been shooting through the crony for a couple of weekends and you guys are right. How did I do anything before now. I'm not even sure I could "tie my shoe" as far as reloading goes before having a chrony.
I went to the range today and got some great results with my Rem 700 30-06. I also got great results with my 280 but screwed up and forgot to switch strings before shooting another rifle. I did mamage to write down the velocities but the E.S and the S.D are wrong. Anyway I shot a couple of 1' groups with the 280 while sighting in for a 250yd zero.
The crony along with a ballistics program is awesome to say the least.
These are the best results from my '06. I was shooting groups of five to find the best c.o.l.

30-06
Nosler 165gr AB
RL-19- 62gr compressed
CCI 250
R-P brass
COL 3.335

5 shots
Average vel- 2882
E.S.- 20.62
S.D.- 8.0
group was .75 measured outside.

That is a nice load my friend! A .75" outside measurement will actually put you under .5 MOA center to center.
Congratulations on your shooting, your load and your chrony.

JD338

As far as the statistics go, if you are at all handy with Microsoft Excel, you can write a simple spreadsheet that will (using existing formulas) compute all the statistics you want (SD, ES, Avg) and then some if you just plug in the velocity values from your shooting. If you aren't handy with writing a little spreadsheet, PM me and I'll send you a blank copy of mine, with whatever you want already set up, calculations-wise.

Same here! I keep my data in excell spreed sheets. Everything gets tallied for me. Except group sizes and comments.

At one time, I thought I'd be having more time to shoot and analyze than I do, and I wrote a spreadsheet that would analyze the differences in group size to find the absolute best load. I plugged in formulas to compare the difference between the means, and even went so far as to determine the sample size necessary to gain statistical significance. You don't want to know how big it has to be to really tell if a load shooting .5 is better than a load shooting .7 (averages)! I finally gave up on that one (even us numbers geeks have our limits) and just started setting up rifles to shoot a maximum size group at a best velocity. I think we all sort of intuitively know after a while what load is the best after load development is done anyway. I think the real indicators for me these days are group size within my preconceived limits, mean velocity, extreme spread, and standard deviation.

Back