"COL" Case overall length for a 30-06?

justmetric

Beginner
Mar 30, 2011
Hello. Im new to this forum and Im also new to reloading. I understand that a "Case Overall Length" in a 30-06 is not to acceed 3.340". However, is there a minimum "Case Overall Length" that I need to look out for or to be aware of? I'm reloading with Nosler Custom brass and Nosler 165Gr AccuBond bullet for a 30-06 Ruger M77 Mark II. Thank you in advance for advice/answer.

Hi: Welcome to the forums, in the nosler reloading manual #6 it says that the max col is 3.340 and the min is 2.940, if you have not already i would make sure to buy that book, it will give you everything you need to know about reloading plus a whole bunch of loads for your 30-06. hope this helped

There's not really a hard standard for minimum COL for rifle rounds, but for pistol rounds consider the listed COL as the minimum, not the maximum. for rifles, don't go ultra short just to do it, and remember that as you get shorter, there's a point at which pressure will start to increase due to limiting case volume by shoving the heel of the bullet into the case interior and taking up powder space. The risk is slight with a -06, but just pay attention to the safety rules.

The advice to get a good manual is wisdom. Get two or three and read them all, twice. Ask plenty of questions and be careful, and you'll be fine.

dezmick
Hi: Welcome to the forums, in the nosler reloading manual #6 it says that the max col is 3.340 and the min is 2.940, if you have not already i would make sure to buy that book, it will give you everything you need to know about reloading plus a whole bunch of loads for your 30-06. hope this helped

I believe the maximum overall "case" length for an 06 is 2.494 and you trim to 2.490, the maximum overall length including the bullet is 3.340, and this can vary for a number of reasons.

Welcome to the forum !!!!!

by reading the op and it saying that the max case overall length of 3.340, i just figured that he was trying to say cartridge overall length, that is why i gave the answers i did, well anyway which ever one he was after we have them both covered. :grin:

Thank you all very much for the answers, I think I will purchase the Nosler reloading guide and educate myself some more.

justmetric

Welcome to the forum, glad you are here.

I agree, getting a copy of the Nosler RG #6 is a very good investment. You will learn quite a bit from this book. Your COL will actually depend on your rifle and determined by the lands and/or the magazine. A good starting point for your COL is .020" off the lands, providing this COL will cycle through the magazine.

Let us know if you have more questions, we are here to help you. :grin:

JD338

Oh boy, I may have bitten off more than I can chew regarding getting into reloading. I don't even know what "lands" is that you speak of in the previous reply. Can you please explain what that is and how would I measure this "lands". Thanx in advance.

The lands and groves make up the rifling.
The lands are what the bullet touches first when fired in the barrel.
This length (from base of case to ogive [the portion of the bullet pointed end that is the diameter of the bore] of bullet) can be measured with a variety of tools, most popular is the stoney point comparator and a set of dial calipers.

Check out the following link
http://blog.sinclairintl.com/2009/03/26 ... ing-depth/

On you original question, get as close to published COAL when starting out hand loading, gain some experience & confidence then futz with seating depths. I would recommend both the Sierra and Nosler manuals. CW

justmetric welcome to the forum. The FIRST THING everybody needs to do before getting into reloading is to get a good reloading manual that tells you how to reload. Read it carefully and then read it again to get an understanding of the terminology and what you are doing. Then start the loading process. You then can come to this forum and ask questions and we would be glad to help you in any way. Remember there are no dumb questions. You might get some dumb answers but there are no dumb questions. :mrgreen:

Don't be intimidated by your lack a understanding the loading process. That can be cured with the proper education.

The others said it well, get a good loading book like a Speer, Sierra or Nosler. Right now, if I was to buy one, the Sierra offers alot of good loads since they tell you what the most accurate loads were in there load data and also, what a good hunting load would be. Usually they work pretty darn good. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Scotty

Terminology (argot) is acquired through use. As you read the hand loading guide and interact with those on the reloading forums, you will hear new terms. You've taken a big first step in asking for a definition. I can't imagine a serious hand loader who would be offended by anyone asking what was meant. Asking for clarification will resolve the vast majority of questions that will arise as you prepare your cartridges. Welcome to the forum. I trust we'll see you posting your questions here until we see you posting your results. I assure you that we'll all be pleased when you post pictures and/or accounts of your first bragging target or the first game you have taken with cartridges you rolled yourself. Just remember, everyone here began somewhere.

I'm glad I became a member of this forum as everyone is just very helpful and encouraging. Yesterday I borrowed a book from my library called "abc's of reloading". As soon as I read this book from cover to cover, I will attempt my first 30-06 cartridge reload with the Lee Classic Loader...hopefully only a couple days from now. As soon as that happens I will advise everyone here on how it went, and if I'll still have all my fingers and both eyes :)
Denny, Denver CO.

Denny,

You'll do just fine. This is one of the safest activities imaginable if you heed the safety rules and don't try to gain higher velocities than are safe.

Looking forward to seeing and learning about your results Denny.

Reloading or Handloading is fascinating to me. I've been loading pretty much all my life. Still remember Grandpa and Dad having me seat bullets back when I was just a little guy, in the late 1950's or early 1960's. Do you have a handloading mentor? Someone who can show you how it's done instead of just learning it from the book? The process is actually a lot simpler in action than one would think, reading about it in the various manuals.

Size it. Prime it. Charge it. Seat it. You're done.

Well, that's the basics anyway. Getting everything right takes some attention to detail.

The .30-06 is a very effective and forgiving cartridge to load. You've chosen some great components with high quality brass and bullets. One frustration can be that some .30-06 factory ammo is so very good anymore that it can be hard to beat with handloads.

I like to set a goal for my load. Say I want a good .30-06 hunting load, effective and accurate to 300 yards for general purpose hunting: deer, bear and maybe even elk.

I'd likely want a good quality bullet, probably either 165 or 180 grain. I'd want to move it at respectable velocity, but wouldn't be concerned about getting every last fps from it. I'd want accuracy. Enough to where I'd feel confident putting the crosshairs on a buck's shoulder at 300 yards. Then I'd set about building that load, starting at the lower end of the powder charges, but not likely staying there long. After all, I'm loading with good components for a good, solid rifle. Why settle for 2500 fps when I suspect I can get 2700 or more fps without trouble?

But I'd start low, then work up. I'd load no more than three to five cartridges at any given charge weight. In a case with generous capacity, like the .30-06, I'd go up a grain at a time, until getting close to max, then I'd try 1/2 grain increments.

Might start with the 3.34" overall length suggested in the manual, if the magazine on my rifle would take it. If not, I'd go a little shorter, but not more than necessary. Later, I can adjust the overall loaded length of the cartridge to more precisely fit my rifle's chamber, if the magazine will allow it. Often, they won't.

Consider making up a dummy cartridge, with no primer or powder, to check function and fit through your rifle. Even a few of them. But mark them clearly so you NEVER confuse a live round with a dummy cartridge. I like a big band of black magic marker around the brass case of my dummy rounds.

BTW - if you want to do a lot of practice, and you're finding those Accubonds too expensive to just toss downrange - consider buying a similar shape and weight practice bullet that's less expensive. You'll likely be able to work up a near twin load that shoots about the same as your hunting load, but with a less costly bullet. A lot of guys do that. For instance shooting an inexpensive Sierra or Speer SPBT bullet for practice and an AccuBond for hunting, or a flat base Sierra for practice and a Nosler Partition for hunting.

Of course, always make sure to dial in your hunting load for sure before season. I have several rifles which use an inexpensive target load most of the year, then I use the super-duper hunting load when it counts.

Enjoy - this forum is full of some of the best guys - they'll steer you right. If you do run into troubles, just stop, and dial us up. JD338 is laid up right now so he's got nothing better to do than help you get started in loading anyway... :grin:

Photos help us figure out what's going right or wrong and maybe help fix things too.

Regards, Guy

Thanx Guy, for all that info. No I do not have a mentor nor' anyone I know thats into reloading, so I guess I will have to go it alone and pretty much be self-taught. This forum is however helping me out already. Oh well, thats sometimes how it goes. I've been thus far reading my "abc's of reloading" and I have also received an email from "NOSLER" to help me with the correct "COL" measurements and how to go about it. Sounds quite simple. Im excited as Im hoping this upcoming weekend I may turn out my first cartridge. I'll post pics of course :)
Denny, Denver CO.

justmetric,

Nosler doesn't list IMR4064 as one of the powders used with the 30-06 and 165 grain bullets. This doesn't mean that the powder won't work, it just means that it didn't provide the velocity/accuracy they sought when generating data for the handloading guide. The powder is a little faster than IMR4895, so I suspect that it is a velocity issue. I would recommend that you secure a pound of IMR4350 for your loads. Use 53.0 grains as your starting point and work upward toward 57.0 grains as your maximum. As you approach maximum, you should see accuracy improve.

justmetric,

Welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of knowledge and wisdom to aid in your journey into the reloading world from this awesome Nosler Forum. You will find your level of confidence will grow with experience as you go on this journey. Everything has it's limits in reloading, always, always, always wear eye and hearing protection shooting your loads, ANY LOADS, OR just at the Range. PERIOD!!! Never assume anything in reloading. Better to ask questions than assume something. :wink:

Good Shooting,
Don

Back