Cold & Clean BBL first shot flyer

ShadeTree":2av1rfge said:
nvbroncrider":2av1rfge said:
I clean when groups open up. On my varmint rifles may be 400-500 rounds between cleanings then I don't clean until patches are white I clean until there's just a little bit of black on them. You can ruin a barrel just as fast by over cleaning them as under cleaning. Let the barrel tell you what to do.

There's definitely a common sense balance, because there's also the other side of the coin. Every used gun I picked up save for that 35 Remington, had bores that could only be classified as very dirty. The worst was the 22-250 bull barreled mauser I got. Bore was so tight it took extreme effort to get a 22 caliber bore mop down the bore just to get it sopped up with solvent to get started on a very long cleaning job. About plugged tight with copper and carbon. Had I known it was that tight I would've just cut an undersize patch first to wet it down. Can't imagine the group that thing shot before, probably why it was cheap, the man selling it likely thought it was junk. :grin:

Exactly sometimes I can shoot 150-200 rounds in a day if I cleaned every 50 I'd never get a squirrel off a field. That said you will get a feeling when it's time. When you miss a 100 yard shot dead to rights and you have a legit 1/4" gun you know it's time.

Thank you to all ..
So, I have fired 18 rounds without cleaning. My 3 shot groups are at 1/2" !!
My Zero is dialed in and I plan on running another 12-18 shot through it before I clean it. I will be fouling the bore with 6-12 rounds before the hunt ....

Ive been doing this for 40 years, doesnt mean i cant learn ...
Thank you again !

It takes a lot of shooting to really know how your rifle's going to behave. I have a couple that run to the extreme. One is my .300 win mag, even though the barrel is well broken in this rifle doesn't settle down until 5 shots from a clean bore.
The other is my 7mm mag. it shoots the first shot dead on and right in the group everytime.
So I make it a point to shoot all centerfire's a minimum of 5 shots before each season.

Attachments

• Cold Barrel3 (786x1024).jpg
    Cold Barrel3 (786x1024).jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 646
So I always wonder if it is a cold bore or cold shooter that really affects that first shot?

We fired alot of rounds threw our guns and could never prove it was the rifle throwing a cold bore shot and not the actually trigger puller who needed to get warmed up :lol:

Re: Cold & Clean BBL first shot flyer

284allways,

I have a rifle that would shoot a Cold & Clean BBL first shot flyer.
Was able to fix it.

Wasn't the clean, Wasn't the cold - It was the lube I was using after the clean.
Switch lube and it went away.

RaySendero":3owzis6s said:
Re: Cold & Clean BBL first shot flyer

284allways,

I have a rifle that would shoot a Cold & Clean BBL first shot flyer.
Was able to fix it.

Wasn't the clean, Wasn't the cold - It was the lube I was using after the clean.
Switch lube and it went away.

I have a couple rifles that I have fixed , or really helped, by changing my cleaning routine . I now finish up cleaning with a patch with kroil on it , and store the rifle as I always have . before I shoot I push a couple dry patches through the bbl , and the rifle usually puts the first one with the rest of them .

Back