Collet Die for Whelen

ColColt

Handloader
Apr 27, 2014
I thought it rather unusual that Lee doesn't make a collet die for the 35 Whelen. Having just recently gotten interested in this caliber and having good luck with Lee's collet die I went hunting for one and discovered that don't make it...bummer. Looks like its back to RCBS or Redding for dies as after looking on Midways website they don't even show Lyman dies.

Redding doesn't even make a bushing die for it, just the standard die like RCBS. Kind of unusual Lee not making a collet die nor Redding the bushing die.

I wonder if you can adjust the Redding seat die to not crimp with their crimp ring.

I don't want to crimp but, I've never had Redding dies with a crimp ring. I feel sure you can bypass that feature, though.

Oh, yeah, it's not a big deal to back off the crimp shoulder a turn and still be able to seat nicely.

Sounds like the Whelen is digging in some! :twisted:

I missed a super nice 700 CDL by procrastinating. When I decided to jump for it, called and it had already been sold. I mean, it looked ANIB.

Dang. I do like my CDL. It's a great shooter and has been a very solid rifle. I imagine you'll find something if your looking. The Classics are very nice as well. Try and stock up on RL15. You'll be chopping in high cotton if you can secure a few pounds of it.

I've got one pound of it. Today I finally got my two pounds of IMR 4064 I ordered over a month ago but down to one pound of 4350..

Back