Compressed loads

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Got some RL 17 to try with 225gr bullets since it was at the top of the QL powder run for best velocity and Pressure.
66grs is 1/2 way up the neck in a 35 Whelen / AI case and when seating a 225gr AB to get them to group you have to seat them deep. 3.385" OAL compresses the load and I need to go deeper to get them shoot good. I'm looking at seating them to 3.280" OAL
Is that tooo much compression for this powder?

truck driver":21mj9bdi said:
Got some RL 17 to try with 225gr bullets since it was at the top of the QL powder run for best velocity and Pressure.
66grs is 1/2 way up the neck in a 35 Whelen / AI case and when seating a 225gr AB to get them to group you have to seat them deep. 3.385" OAL compresses the load and I need to go deeper to get them shoot good. I'm looking at seating them to 3.280" OAL
Is that tooo much compression for this powder?

If you can get the bullet to stay in place it's not too much compression.

I used highly compressed loads in a 243 . the next day the COAL had grown from the powder pushing the bullet back out . I would just run them all through my seater die again and they stayed at my desired COAL . no problem , just an extra step to the process .

are you using a drop tube funnel ? this will help fit the powder in the case .

Only your gun and you will know. Depends on too many factors to guess TD.

SJB358":1u7lk0cv said:
OK, QL set for 62Kpsi says 67.5 under a 225gr AB seated 3.340" will run 2879fps in a 24" barrel at 61555psi. So if I change the seating depth to 3.280"(.060") do you think this will greatly change the pressure.
(edit) also can QL show the difference in pressure with a change in the seating depth?
225gr AB 76.13gr H2O 24" barrel 3.280" seating depth RL17 powder 62Kpsi

truck driver":26w4iw9s said:
SJB358":26w4iw9s said:
OK, QL set for 62Kpsi says 67.5 under a 225gr AB seated 3.340" will run 2879fps in a 24" barrel at 61555psi. So if I change the seating depth to 3.280"(.060") do you think this will greatly change the pressure.
(edit) also can QL show the difference in pressure with a change in the seating depth?

Rodger, my advice is to start low and see what you see. 2879 is a pretty stiff load for a 338 Win Mag so I'd just be careful. Not saying it's unsafe but that QL is just a guide and until you shoot a couple at lower charges you'll have to be your own compass. I push my 25" barreled 338 Win to around 2900 with 17 but it's about all I'd want. QL saying it's good or not.

SJB358":7zvjtj97 said:
truck driver":7zvjtj97 said:
SJB358":7zvjtj97 said:

Rodger, my advice is to start low and see what you see. 2879 is a pretty stiff load for a 338 Win Mag so I'd just be careful. Not saying it's unsafe but that QL is just a guide and until you shoot a couple at lower charges you'll have to be your own compass. I push my 25" barreled 338 Win to around 2900 with 17 but it's about all I'd want. QL saying it's good or not.
Thanks I plan to, I was only quoting the run and there's no way I'll push it that hard I'm looking for something close to 2800fps that gives good accuracy my concern is how much more pressure I'll get by seating a bullet .060" deeper then the QL default 3.340"?

Pressure is largely determined by your combustion chamber which is the total internal volume when the case is expanded and the bullet is at the lands. That is when the pressure builds. This pressure is somewhat mitigated by the pressure needed to engrave the bullet in the lands and this is influenced by how much of a running start it has.

IMO, worth what you paid for it, compression of powder should not effect pressure much if any at all. Distance from the lands will have a much greater effect.

woods":hnrgikcp said:
Pressure is largely determined by your combustion chamber which is the total internal volume when the case is expanded and the bullet is at the lands. That is when the pressure builds. This pressure is somewhat mitigated by the pressure needed to engrave the bullet in the lands and this is influenced by how much of a running start it has.

IMO, worth what you paid for it, compression of powder should not effect pressure much if any at all. Distance from the lands will have a much greater effect.

Woods said it much better than I was trying to get after it. Powder compression doesn't mean much with rifle powders that I've seen. Getting the bullet to stay in place is the trick when you get beyond a certain point.

I like a full case as much as the next guy. There's compressed and then there is compressed. I crimp all my hunting loads but it's not to keep the powder from pushing the bullet out sitting in the loading block. I don't believe in crushing powder kernels. That's where I draw the line.

Thanks for the responses. I have never liked to compress my powder charges but RL17 fills the case up into the neck and the listed pressure is well with in reason I just didn't want to force the issue by compressing the charge. My rifle does have a long throat so the pressure should be minimal.

Drop tube or you can try touching the case to the side of a vibratory tumbler to see if it will settle further before seating the bullet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If you have a couple matching trays that hold cases, load one case with powder charged cases, place the other empty case over the top of the loaded cartridges(no bullets yet), a couple or three rubber bands to hold it in place, and set it or hold it on your vibrating case cleaner for a short while. That works pretty well and doesn't spill.

Thanks for the Ideas. I use a drop tube and also the vibratory cleaner to settle powder.
I have a problem of knocking over and spilling cases so I do one at a time. :grin:

Back