Copper cleaning

I use Sweets 7.62 and a brass brush for copper fouling.

JD338

bob_dobalina":2e701tn4 said:
Do u guys clean until there's no copper in your rifling? I could do that all day and still get faint blue stripes on my patch and see copper in the rifling in the tip of my barrel.

I never cleaned this thoroughly until I started shooting all copper bullets.
It could be the brass jag you're using that leaves the blue on the patch. Look for a plastic one and see if it's white after pushing them through?

bob_dobalina":2cz6sa98 said:
I just ordered a 4oz bottle of Boretech Cu+2 Copper Remover to give it a try. I'm real interested in all the other products everyone mentioned too but one thing at a time I guess.
I've been using their products for a little over a year now and really love them! I've used almost everything out there at one time, i.e. Barnes CR-10 for their copper bullets, Sweets, Montana Extreme, JB Bore Bright and JB used with Kroil.

Most of my life I've used Shooter's Choice MC#7 and w/Kroil, but I no longer do since I've used Bore Tech Inc. Eliminator products. I still use the JB paste for heavy caked on powder in the throat after a Match if I feel it.

longrangehunter":1by20cmi said:
bob_dobalina":1by20cmi said:
Do u guys clean until there's no copper in your rifling? I could do that all day and still get faint blue stripes on my patch and see copper in the rifling in the tip of my barrel.

I never cleaned this thoroughly until I started shooting all copper bullets.
It could be the brass jag you're using that leaves the blue on the patch. Look for a plastic one and see if it's white after pushing them through?

I use the silver jags that arent' made of brass, but my rod does have a brass end on it where the jag screws in, but I don't think the patch reaches this so I don't think that's giving a false positive. I can actually see the copper stripes in the rifling is why I believe the patch is still picking up copper.

Bob,

Well if you're seeing the copper on the lands at the muzzle of the barrel then you still have plenty of copper fouling left in the barrel!

I think you'll really like the Bore Tech products. Try their Chameleon Gel, this stuff will tell you what's left in the barrel. White-clean, black-carbon, green-copper. It also is like JB bore paste that has a light abrasive to polish the bore.

I use Kroil to remove copper and lead deposits when cleaning my rifle barrels. I usually spray Kroil down the barrel and let it sit for 15 minutes or so before doing a normal cleaning. If I still see deposits after a few passes with a brush and patches, I add JB to patches soaked in Kroil on a jag and that usually does the trick.

rodell":3qn4g5ny said:
I have compared the Gunslick foam to the Wipeout foam and the Wipeout wins every time.
I use the Gunslick, and often just let it sit overnight.
When I come down the next morning and run a patch through, blue liquid often comes out. I've been very impressed with it.

Having said that, I generally use the Boretech products, and the Gunslick is just for tougher jobs where I want to let it soak.

Back