Copper fouling! What to do?

I have come in a little late. But the cleaner I have found that works the best is Wipe Out.
I have always had great results with just one application.

I'm with you sask, I used to do a second application of wipe out but it always comes out clear, so I quit wasting it.

Since the OP makes mention of possibly having a rough bore, I was wondering would his rifle not be a candidate for one of the bore coating products? I've read about these ceramic based products that you apply to a clean barrel that supposedly act like a sealer for the bore surface, and give the bullet a smoother surface on which to ride.

I'm asking this just out of curiosity as I wonder if it might help the copper fouling situation.

What about using moly coated bullets, or Lubalox, or any of the other coated type bullets? Would that not prevent the fouling? I realize it would only be a temporary measure, but it may make cleaning easier.

Tiptons truly remarkable bore solvent works very well... I tried alot of different ones and this one works the best. It's fast.

I have used tubb final finish and it worked very well for me. The barrel fouls a lot less and my groups shrunk. I only used 1/2 the bullets because I was paranoid it would mess up the barrel but it just smoothed it out just as advertised.

You need to start out with a perfectly clean barrel and shoot 3 and let the barrel cool then shoot the next 2 at that grit and then clean before going to the next finer bullet. The barrel on my savage 116 got too hot to shoot 5 at a time because of the abrasive.

There are 5 different compounds on the bullets, and after the 3rd compound the cleaning rod was noticeable easier to push thru and it cleaned much quicker.

If a rifle does not foul or is a tack driver I would not use tubbs, but if it not shooting up to par and is a bear to clean it is probably the cheapest easiest way to improve accuracy and make the gun much easier to clean.

Back