Copper fouling! What to do?

CAhunter

Beginner
Sep 10, 2009
Hey guys! Ive recently got into reloading and just now started to reload my Browning A bolt in 270win. I have noticed that this rifle copper fouls a lot more than my other rifles Im loading for. I usually have to spend twice as long cleaning it as any other. Was wondering what you guys thought about Tubb finishing bullets or what other options I have??

Thanks!!

Final Finish will certainly work. I prefer, however, to use less aggressive methods since most of us are not equipped to monitor barrel erosion. Take comfort in the knowledge that eventually your barrel will become smoother as a sufficient number of bullets pass down its length.

Generally speaking, I believe a solvent-based method of removing copper is preferable to abrasives. I prefer using a good copper solvent, and most will work well if used as directed. CR10 and Sweets 7.62 are relatively aggressive ammonia-based products that will remove copper. Butch's Bore Shine will work well, though it requires somewhat more brushing than the others. It is also less harmful if left in the bore for a longer time. For some reason, with bores larger than 32 calibre, I have found G96 Copper Solvent to work very well. More restricted bores do not seem to benefit from this particular solvent as much.

If a bore is exceptionally rough, try JBs bore paste or Bore Bright. It will work wonders on a rough bore if applied judiciously. It does the same thing that Tubbs does, only less aggressively, allowing for a little wiggle room.

Many people are using Wipe-Out and love it. You certainly might try giving that a go if you don't enjoy scrubbing the bore.

Thanks! I do use Sweets to clean the cooper out. Thats when I found it was really copper fouled. I have shot close to 125 rounds through this gun also. How does the JB bore paste work. I have a feeling this barrel is a little rough.

CAhunter

After a good cleaning with Sweets 7.62, use some JB Bore Paste to smooth out the bore. Clean with a good quality bore solvent like Butches Bore Shine or Shooters Choice MC 7 and then a light coat of oil such as Rem Oil to protect the bore.

JD338

Boy- I dont claim to have near the experience as those who've already posted. I will add this, When "Wipe Out" quits giving me good results I'll try some butch's bore paste or somthin' for now, Wipe out does it for me. FWIW CL

I use Wipe-out for everything. If I have a new barrel or one that fouls bad I'll use some JB bore paste to try to help smooth things out. It seems to help. I noticed a pretty good difference when I was breaking in my 270 WSM, I would feel it getting easier and easier to clean as the rough spots got worn out of the barrel.

JD How do I go about using the bore paste and where might I get some? I assume its a smoothing compound that you apply to the bullet? The rifle does shoot pretty accurately just fouls very bad after about 4 or 5 shots. Thanks for the help guys!

Most major shooting supply shops will handle JB Bore Paste and/or JB Bore Bright. Just make certain to swab the bore after using the bore paste.

CA- I just put the bore paste on a tight fitting patch and run it back and forth a several times then clean it all out with a few wet patches, then repeat three or four times. The final time make extra sure you get all of the bore paste out of the barrel.

JD My bore seems to be a bit rough even after a good cleaning. Do you think JB paste will be good to smooth it out and help it foul less or are those tubb final finish bullets better?

CA hunter, did you do a standard break-in....shoot one and clean with Barnes CR-10 (or a similar product) until there is not copper for the first 10 shots, shoot 2 and clean ect?

Antelope Im not sure how it was broke in. My dad had the rifle for a bit. Should i just clean and clean it and then start from scratch breaking it in? what do you recommend?

That's what I would do if it was my gun.
I'd clean it down to bare metal with CR-10, Kroils, and a tornado brush. Then I'd load up the cheapest standard bullets I have (read Nosler solid base seconds), careful to keep the velocity just around 3K, and do a proper break-in. I know it's not the same after it's been shot, but it could help smooth it out without getting too agressive. If it didn't see to work, you could always get more agressive later.

Of all my rifles, my Rem 700 243 SPS is the worst for copper fouling. I started using Hoppe's Elite copper remover, but apparently I wasn't leaving it in there long enough (to impatient I guess). Anyways, I searched this forum for opinions on copper removing solutions and ended up ordering some Montana X-treme Copper Killer - 50BMG Formula. It worked really well and quick. Now, it comes with like 3 or 4 warnings about the vapors from this bottle. If you decide to use this stuff, use it OUTSIDE as it is the most powerful smelling ammonia based stuff I've ever encountered. I makes Hoppe's #9 smell like a colonge you might put on for a date. This stuff does work though.

Thanks Guys. I do have the sweets 7.62 and it works wonders on all my rifles for copper. This one rifle is just stubborn. Gets fouled so quickly. I think I may scrub it some more and get it as clean as possible then try the one shot scrub break in for 20 shots n see what happens.. Might just buy a cheap box of ammo at walmart instead of loading my brass.. thanks for all the help!!

CAhunter":1qmlo40n said:
JD My bore seems to be a bit rough even after a good cleaning. Do you think JB paste will be good to smooth it out and help it foul less or are those tubb final finish bullets better?

You want to put JB Bore Paste on a patch and run it through the bore from the action (same as if you were using a brass brush). Try 20-30 passes and then clean the bore and repete the process two or three times. Make sure the bore is clean and run an oiled patch through for protection.

JD338

Richracer1":14y5ve2w said:
I makes Hoppe's #9 smell like a colonge you might put on for a date.

You mean you wear something else on dates? I wasn't aware there was anything other than Hoppe's #9. It's no coincidence that everyone talks about Love Potion #9, you know...

dubyam":180vymaa said:
Richracer1":180vymaa said:
I makes Hoppe's #9 smell like a colonge you might put on for a date.

You mean you wear something else on dates? I wasn't aware there was anything other than Hoppe's #9. It's no coincidence that everyone talks about Love Potion #9, you know...

I always kind of liked Butch's Bore Shine - such a unique smell. :lol: :lol:

Oh, regardless of the warnings on the Montana X-treme Copper Killer stuff, I had to take a sniff - Could it really be THAT bad????. BIG, BIG mistake, nose started burning, eyes were watering, and so on. So take it from someone that was an idiot, this stuff is horrible to the nose.

Richracer1":vo1bgm40 said:
Oh, regardless of the warnings on the Montana X-treme Copper Killer stuff, I had to take a sniff - Could it really be THAT bad????. BIG, BIG mistake, nose started burning, eyes were watering, and so on. So take it from someone that was an idiot, this stuff is horrible to the nose.

Kinda like Wasabi. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JD338

Back