Cougar kills dog, knocks down woman!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Manson, Washington - where I often go to hike, bicycle ride, hike, hunt and fish:

Link: http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2013 ... ground-in/

"Friday, March 1, 2013

MANSON — A woman was knocked down by a cougar early this morning in a residential area along Lake Chelan in Manson.

The woman, in her 60s, suffered scratches and required stitches, said Capt. Chris Anderson with the state Department of Fish and Wildlife.

The woman had let her small dog out of the house in a well-developed residential area about 2:30 a.m. when the cougar attacked the dog, Anderson said. The woman tried to get the cougar to drop the dog and blocked the cougar’s exit from an enclosed area of the yard. But the cougar then knocked the woman down and ran and hid behind a hot tub.

A Chelan County sheriff’s deputy arrived about 20 minutes later and shot and killed the cougar, Anderson said. The dog was killed by the cougar.

The cougar “was an old, emaciated male — nothing but skin and bones,” Anderson said. “It was in very, very poor health and was on its last legs.”

He said a necropsy will be done on the cougar today to determine if the cat was suffering from anything other than acute hunger. The woman’s name was not available. The attack happened in the 700 block of Manson Boulevard, according to RiverCom dispatchers."

Not all that rare a thing around here. I can think of several examples of cougar/dog/people incidents in our area over the years.

Guy

That area around Lake Chelan is for sure primer territory for cougars. That is quite a story, Guy.

Wow! Man, that is really something Guy.. Those cats are some very good hunters for sure..

I was ranch sitting for a friend back in college....had just gone to bed when the dogs started going nuts and then I heard cows bawling much closer than they should be. I went out on the deck to look around and sure enough the cows had run through the fence and were in the yard....about that time the hair on the back of my neck stood up and as I swung my flashlight to the right, where the deck met the ground, there sat a great big cougar hunched down staring at me. So here I am standing there in my underwear about 10' from the door with this cougar about 20' away and I'm pondering if I can make it inside before this thing pounces on me....I very slowly start inching towards the door...and it's slowly getting lower into a crouching position, until I finally say F it and bolt for the door. Well, needless to say I made it, and after a very quick sprint to a gun it was gone when I returned. But that was about as scared as I've ever been! They are the one animal that pretty much scares the crap out of me out in the woods. Sneaky freaking critters they are!

We go to Manson almost every year for a week in October in a timeshare over there. We go hiking up on the moutain behind Manson as well. I have seen deer and tracks up there but not from a cougar. I carry my .40 S&W over there. I will have to be more aware.

I used to hunt elk on that mountain back in the 1960's, before luxury cabins and timeshares.

WOW ! There have been two Cougars killed in our area recently. I really haven't given them much thought. Of course I am not walking around my house at 2:30 in the morning either. Tough old women.

I went mountain lion calling for two days last week in a couple of areas heavy with lion sign. Lots of deer too. Only thing I managed to call in was a fox.

I'll keep working to call a lion in as that would be a neat way to take one I think. I've chased them with dogs and mules but want to call one in as my test of hunting ability. I don't go walking in lion country without at least a handgun. The good thing is that anything that works well on a man will generally work well on a lion too.

If there's deer there's lions is a good general rule to follow in the west.

Just another excuse to NEVER leave the house without your 4" model 29 Smith! 8)

Back