Could handloads using cfe223 help break-in a barrel?

JohnB

Beginner
Feb 5, 2011
I have a new 30-06 barreled action I had built by Stiller Precision. The barrel is Krieger 10 twist 5R. I was reading about barrel break-in on Krieger's site, which says the object of the game is to smooth out reamer marks in the throat without allowing copper fouling to build up in the barrel. I was thinking about using cfe223 with a 150gr
bullet. Just thinking that might make breaking the barrel in quicker and easier by keeping copper fouling down. Does anybody have any thoughts about this or any experience with cfe223?

JohnB

I'm using it a 338-06AI and 22-250. So far I really like it but as far as break in goes I don't think it will make much of a difference. I personally think your better off using it for a better purpose than break in. Simply put a barrel will still copper foul while using it.

cfe223 will reduce the amount of "vaporized" copper. therefore reducing the amount of copper deposited throughout the bore.
but it will not reduce the amount of friction that is caused by the tooling marks. These tooling marks mechanically take copper from the bullet and hang onto it. thats why you gotta clean between shots.
in short; no, cfe223 will not improve break-in. at least not in the first few stages.

Decided to try some cfe223 and see what happened. Loaded 20 rounds with a 150 gameking and cfe 223. Also had 25 rounds with 200 gameking and H4831sc. I fired the 20 rounds with cfe 223 first and then shot a group with 3 rounds of the 200 grain load. I did not clean the rifle at all for these 23 rounds. Below is a 12 shot group with the last of the cfe223 loads at 200 yards. The next picture shows the first patch through the barrel after soaking the barrel for 20 min with the foaming copper remover. It appears that there was very little copper deposited in the barrel.

JohnB

20130610_212448_zps4cbceb2b.jpg

20130610_212823_zps967229f2.jpg

20130529_165601_zpse694c497.jpg

20130529_165513_zps4339bf32.jpg

You are spot on with your break in procedure, in regards to shooting 20 plus rounds before cleaning it IMO.

It doesn't sound right does it. It did however appear that cfe 223 kept the copper fouling at bay. if that is the case then maybe the throat can smoothed up without all of the cleaning.

JohnB

When you buy a high quality barrel, you should'nt have much build up to begin with. Part of the reason to get a custom barrel.

I started doing the 25+ rounds or more on a new barrel about three barrels ago and have had pretty good luck with it and so have the guys i shoot with. I did it with the .284 bartlein and all three of the DTA barrels and had little copper fouling. I dont ever clean down to bare metal either, a couple of patches of bore tech eliminator or patch out seems to be sufficient. I also shoot 70+ before doing that in the .284 and 100 in the .260. Not a model here just what i have been doing.

clearwater

No doubt a rougher barrel would be a better test to see if cfe 223 can help.

Kreiger has a very well written break in and cleaning procedure on their website and would follow it to get a proper break in and they will be glad to,clear up any issues you are not clear on!! Your patches will tell you when your bore is copper free! The break in is really to take care of the throat area as their article explains! I use bore cleaner then copper cleaner then windex and do that process after every shot for atleast the first 20 rounds watching the copper patches color! Also the windex will pull all the crap outta the pours of your throat as that will keep the throat from pitting during break in! Bore cleaner and copper cleaner have stuff left in the throat and the windex will keep it from building up during break in!

Glad you like it. I'm anxious to get it to the range again. I want to try some 190 ALR'S in it.

JohnB

JohnB: I am going to break in a new 1:8 twist 22-250 barrel with CFE223. I was thinking the same thing as you regarding how the powder can (or might) help reduce copper fouling. The barrel that was on the rifle was shot-out. There was almost nothing left.

I have do lots of reading on CFE and it appears to be doing exactly what it was designed for. Some of the information came from Hodgdon's, so of course that is going to expand on the good things the powder does. Other information has come from gun writers (gasp) and some from people who have used it. The last group, as far as I'm concerned, is what tipped things toward using the powder for break in.

I plan on using 70gn Barnes TSXs for deer season this fall. I know the all copper bullets are not good for early use in barrels since the "hogging" of copper is more likely in a new barrel compared to one that has had the rough spots taken off the lans and groves.

Back