Coyote #39 down.

mcseal2

Handloader
Nov 1, 2010
Coyote #39 dropped yesterday, one more to tie my record for a year. I did some checking on my notes and here is some information some may find interesting collected over the 39 yotes.

Some of the coyotes have been called, but about 2/3 have been shot while working around the ranch.

Average range of coyote shot is 243yds.
Shot 10 with 243 win, mostly 75gr V-max.
Shot 6 with 6mm Rem 100gr Sierra gameking, 14 with 6mm 70gr Ballistic tip. (this rifle was a 243 until Febuary when I got it back re-barrelled to 6mm)
Shot 8 with 204 Ruger, mostly 40gr V-max factory ammo.
Shot 1 with 7 mag 160gr AccuBond. (30-45mph winds that day)

Most productive month was January with 11, followed by March with 10 and November with 9 so far. March is when our cows are calving and coyotes flock in. January we had a big snow which helped. November I've been getting mostly young dogs and closer shots. My average distance this month is 172yds. As far as bullets, all have been effective. The 70gr ballistic tip at 3824fps just flat stomps them, they rarely even twitch. The 100gr Sierra is also really effective and a great all-purpose load, but harder on pelts. I'm still waiting for a chance to try working with the 90gr AccuBond for an all around load I can build a turret for.

The 204 is very effective with a good lung shot, but lacks penetration if I hit the shoulder. I will continue experimenting with bullets for that one also, I'd love to see a tougher 40gr bullet with a polymer tip and high BC for it. From reviews I read the 45gr Hornady does a real good job, but I like to stay with a higher BC and velocity. It is windy most days where I live.

The 6mm and I will be out working again tomorrow and looking for the next one. Hopefully I can slip some calling in before dark.

Sounds like a really fantastic year for you. I need to get out to slap down a few coyotes. Your experience will stimulate me to find time to put some smack down on them.

#39, WOW! I'm only 39 behind you this year....looking forward to making up for that between the upcoming morning and evening deer hunts of doe season, after tha it's totally game on. If I could shoot that many in a few years I'd be pretty happy! Here's to your continued success...sorry all I got is a skunky PBR :p

Nice job. We got one yesterday. A young man I took elk hunting shot it at about 30 yards. The coyote was on the forest service road and walked right up to my truck and when he was even with my pickup, he just dropped off the bank, never spooked. Andy got out and walked over to the edge and the coyote just stood there. He was pretty brave but not very smart. He took a 150 gr. Corelokt Remington factory round out of Andy's 30-06 he got from his grandfather after he passed away last year after our elk hunt. It's a Remington CDL and is a nice rifle. Worked on the coyote anyway even with the heavy factory trigger.

mcseal2

Way to go with the song dogs.
Interesting data. Here in MI I start calling in Jan, right after deer season is closed. Jan is usually a good month for me as well.
I hope you break your record. I have one this year, shot it with my 6.5mm Rem Mag and a 130 gr AB at 40 yds.

JD338

I was thinking about what you said about the .204 Ruger and then realized that I have a .257 Roberts for use with 85 grain BT bullets at 3400 fps for shorter ranges and can use the .204 for the wide open stuff, further away where the bullets won't explode quite so badly. We do not have the high prairie grass that you have in Kansas also.

:shock: Wow,,and I haven't even been out yet :(
I really like the 6mm, well in my situation, 6mmAI for longer ranges. Otherwise I also carry a .223, for the shorter shots.

Great shooting! Man, that is alot of coyotes! I am sure most of the deer are thanking you! Scotty

39 down, man i'd be lucky to get that many in a lifetime around here. Hope to get more than my average of one or two a season. They are very difficult to call around here especially later in the season after they have been hunted a bit. Most guys are baiting and waiting, not much appeal in that to me but it works much better than calling, might have to give it a try. Our deer herd is in serious trouble and coyotes seem to be everywhere, something has to be done! I was out last week deer hunting and as usual didn't see a deer but could hear two seperate packs of coy-wolves howling on either side of me, it's no wonder the deer are so scarce!

Awesome job! We have a huge up swing in the yote pop here, very few rabbits and grouse this year when out in the bush. The hungarian partridge seem to be not to bad, but between last years harsh winter, the cwd cull and the yote population our deer herds a really suffering in numbers this year. Going back to last winter I had 14 down, and have five this fall, although the 300wm with 180 gr pills is not idicative of saving pelts. I have 10 days try try and find a decent buck and then the magnum gets put back in the safe and the 243 win gets thrown back into my work truck. I have been using the 75 gr v-max aswell as the 60 gr seirra hp (the little hp is not great on fur either put my ol man gave me a bunch last x-mas.) The fat on the deer we have taken this year is ridculous, and the yote pelts are very lush, we are probably in for a very cold winter here but pelts should be prime.

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted if I get another one. Deer season starts next wednesday so my coyote hunting is on hold unless I see one somewhere it won't spook the deer to shoot. After that it's game on again. During deer season the 264 might get a chance to knock one down also, it's kinda been left out this year.

To think, I'm witnessing a new record! Seriously, congratulations! That is a pretty good accomplishment right there.

Thanks guys, It has been a great season so far. I'll see how many more I can get before staring over on Jan 1.

I feel bad for the ranchers etc...losing calves etc. Nice you can keep the coyotes at least a bit honest. Wish we could do the same with the wolves in our area.

Long

mcseal2":21kw0u1v said:
coyote 40 dropped yesterday morning, 41 this morning. New Record!

Nice job mcseal2! Congratulations on your new record.

JD338

Thanks again guys for the support.

I dropped #43 yesterday morning. I shot it perfectly broadside at 225yds with the 204 and 40gr V-max factory load. It was the first true splash hit I can claim. I hit it perfect behind the shoulder and it spun and bit at the entrance wound for 3 circles, then ran into a ditch with tall grass. The rest of the pasture was hayed so I knew he had to be in the ditch or wouldn't have found him. I also shot a smaller varmint that afternoon at a lazered 285yds that just died instantly. The yote I shot looked to be hit perfect behind the shoulder. I can't explain the splash except the bullet may have hit a rib on entry. He made it at least 150yds from the site of the initial hit and could easily have been lost. My rifle is twisted at 1 in 10 so I'm going to try the 45gr Hornady or 50gr Berger in it. I love the velocity and BC of the polymer tip bullets for longer shots in the wind but I'm just not overly confident in their killing power on a yote. In 8 coyotes with this rifle 3 have traveled farther after the hit than I'm used to or would like to see. Another was in tall grass and the bullet never reached the yote before blowing up. I'm going to go with a heavier bullet and drop the velocity from 3900fps to around 35-3600 and see if it helps. I'd still love to see a tougher 40gr high BC boattail bullet designed for predators. I think the 204 has the energy and shock to make quick kills if it gets deep enough to deliver the payload where it needs to be.

That would be my preference also with the .204 Ruger. My CZ 527 is 1:12 twist and 40 grains is the far extent of weight for that barrel with less than MOA accuracy. I bought mine, at least partly for coyotes and would like to drop them solidly with it because the velocity to do it is certainly there. I agree that a harder bullet is needed.

Back