Coyote from the blind

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Kill shot video not very good. Filming through the blind screen right at dark with no light with a Sightmark Wraith scope. Chest shot with a hand loaded 55 grain Ballistic Tip out of a .223 Savage Axis At 125 yards. Coyote made it 20 yards into tall brush and wasn’t recovered until morning. Game camera footage is from Tactacam Reveal X.

Sweet! The fella that owns the farm we deer hunt on only allows us to hunt deer if we spend some time thinning out the coyotes. He has cattle and leases a pasture out to a guy with sheep and goats. The coyotes make a good living poaching lambs. The 223 and NBT is the medicine of choice for us. We’re not interested in the hides. The land owner has taken to gut shooting them so they’ll wonder off in the woods to die and he doesn’t have to remove them from his pastures.

Sweet! The fella that owns the farm we deer hunt on only allows us to hunt deer if we spend some time thinning out the coyotes. He has cattle and leases a pasture out to a guy with sheep and goats. The coyotes make a good living poaching lambs. The 223 and NBT is the medicine of choice for us. We’re not interested in the hides. The land owner has taken to gut shooting them so they’ll wonder off in the woods to die and he doesn’t have to remove them from his pastures.
Out of curiosity, would you folks consider intentional gut shots ethical? I understand this is predator control, but my instinct is definitely to kill anything as quickly as possible regardless of the activity. Don't misunderstand, I am not trying to judge this land owners methods, I am just trying to understand what I would consider good practice for myself.

Out of curiosity, would you folks consider intentional gut shots ethical? I understand this is predator control, but my instinct is definitely to kill anything as quickly as possible regardless of the activity. Don't misunderstand, I am not trying to judge this land owners methods, I am just trying to understand what I would consider good practice for myself.
My belief , a coyote deserves the same ethical treatment as any game. Wounding isn’t traits of a respectable hunter.

My belief , a coyote deserves the same ethical treatment as any game. Wounding isn’t traits of a respectable hunter.
I tend to agree. I get sick to my stomach if a shot I take leads to suffering on the receiving end. Everything is alive on this planet, it oughta get treated as such

I don’t personally agree with his methods, I prefer to kill them as quick as possible, and drag them off to the woods for the scavengers to consume, but I guess he has his reasons.

Nicely done, congratulations on the coyote.
I have a Sig Echo3 on a AR-15 platform in 22 Nosler. Looking forward to putting the smack on the local coyotes this fall/winter.

JD338

I don’t personally agree with his methods, I prefer to kill them as quick as possible, and drag them off to the woods for the scavengers to consume, but I guess he has his reasons.
I should imagine that he has some deep resentment toward the yodel dogs. No doubt they have cost him quite a bit over the years. I don't like to see an animal suffer, but I'm guessing that he is thinking of the suffering his lambs and his kids have experienced. I would guess that he figures he doesn't have to drag them off the field either. I wonder how many coyotes he shoots as they are pretty wily, learning rather quickly to avoid danger.

I should imagine that he has some deep resentment toward the yodel dogs. No doubt they have cost him quite a bit over the years. I don't like to see an animal suffer, but I'm guessing that he is thinking of the suffering his lambs and his kids have experienced. I would guess that he figures he doesn't have to drag them off the field either. I wonder how many coyotes he shoots as they are pretty wily, learning rather quickly to avoid danger.
He doesn’t actively hunt them. If he’s doing something and see one he’ll take a shot. I think they view it much the same we would poisoning rats. I could t say how many he kills, but just opportunistically he probably gets 3-5 per year. We set out to hunt them and don’t kill many more. I can sort of see it, I mean if you’re in the middle of something important and you have to stop and waste time dragging one away, it sets you back. Especially when you’re out there sunrise to sunset and always running behind. But guess that’s why a I drive trucks and not a cattleman.

His situation is different than any I will likely find myself in, so I am not attempting to define it as right or wrong. For my own activities though, I have no reason to allow a animal to suffer more than necessary.

Back