coyote vs. 300g SMK

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
Shot this male coyote this morning at 105 yards on the run with my 338 EDGE w/300g SMK. DRT!! 300g SMK showed good expansion. Saw another one and ranged him at 460, but he took off running and never did stop.

nlsnz5.jpg

:grin: I'm lovin' it! :grin:

So... No recovered bullet to show us??? :grin:

Is that the entrance or exit wound in his chest???

300 grains of coyote bullet. Gotta love it... :grin:

:shock:
Not exactly a fur friendly load!
Nice shootin. Too bad you didn't get that other one. I would be curious to see what the damage would look like at 460 yards.

Thats the exit in the chest. He was quartering when he was running, bullet slipped in behind the shoulder and traveled out his chest.

I actually did find the bullet in the dirt after it passed through. There wasn't much left, just the jacket and a

Yah I wished the 460 one woulda stopped for a few more seconds. It would have been interesting.

Really wished I woulda hit that one at 980, that would have been real interesting.

WOW remmy, I love that varmint rifle. I wished you could have had a shot at 980. That would have been interesting. Maybe next time. Congrats on the kill. Way to go......... :grin:

remingtonman_25_06":3bpt9q45 said:
Thats the exit in the chest. He was quartering when he was running, bullet slipped in behind the shoulder and traveled out his chest.

I actually did find the bullet in the dirt after it passed through. There wasn't much left, just the jacket and a

Not to start an argument but I do not see how can people swear by this bullet for elk?

"Not to start an argument but I do not see how can people swear by this bullet for elk?"

Probably because it kills 'em real dead? :grin:

I don't know which bullet I'd choose for a big .338 and elk - I was starting to build a .338 Edge a couple of years ago and abandoned the project. During my research and subsequently I've heard good and mediocre reports about the 300 gr Sierra Matchking, and have also heard some very good stuff about the big Noslers... More than a few guys told me they'd rather shoot the 250 Noslers - which I completely understand.

Still, it's hard to ignore the long and well documented success the 300 gr Matchking has had for long-range hunters over quite a few years now. I don't have personal experience with 'em - bought, then sold 500 of them - was as close as I got to using them - however my buddies who use them have mostly been pleased. A bullet doesn't have to hang together to be effective - for an example look at the Nosler Partition. It's not unusual to find they've blown off the front half, and yet they still kill just fine, like the 7mm/175 NP did on my bull elk.

Regards, Guy

Well yeah but the NP always has a shank to finish the job.....

Well, we would know alot more if we had the bullet. We know it opened up quickly. Now just imagine what that would of done if but behind the shoulder of an elk....you would have rapid initial expantion, and for some reason I don't think that big 300gr bullet would just disentigrate. It would create massive trama, and probably one very dead elk....I'd like to see someone shoot he 300gr SMK on the famous "milk jug test"
Hey Remman, do you think it's possible to line up enought jugs?? :eek:

Antelope_Sniper":ma963ccy said:
Well, we would know alot more if we had the bullet. We know it opened up quickly. Now just imagine what that would of done if but behind the shoulder of an elk....you would have rapid initial expantion, and for some reason I don't think that big 300gr bullet would just disentigrate. It would create massive trama, and probably one very dead elk....I'd like to see someone shoot he 300gr SMK on the famous "milk jug test"
Hey Remman, do you think it's possible to line up enought jugs?? :eek:

+1

That would be great Remmy if you could do that. If someone wants to provide me with some 300 gr SMK's, I will test them and post results.

JD338

Back