cratering on the primer?

ses1

Beginner
Aug 18, 2009
I am new to reloading and I have an issue with my 300 rum it is the primer has a small ring around the area the firing pin hits. I am told it is called cratering, is this bad?

That is just one of the results of the load being to hot. So I would drop the load down some. What primer are you using? Because some of the primers do have a softer cup than others.

Can you post a picture? Sometimes minor "cratering" is normal. What is your load? You can e-mail your pics as well. Try to get up close views from the top and the side.

I'm shooting 180 accubonds with 100.5 gr retumbo. I shoot really good groups at 3325 fps. I consider the cratering to be minor but I will try to post a pic

I'm gonna say its from the fireing pin hole it the bolt causing it, 100.5 gr is the load listed for the RUMon the can label of Retumbo.
RR

All rifles are different and you may or may not be slightly overpressure. Large magnum rifles typically shoot better near or at max. What you need to do is make sure that your primers are seated tightly against the base of the primer pocket and that the primer pocket is tight and square. If the primer is not seated all the way it will cause the situation described by you. Check your cases before firing and after for excessive stretching. If no answer yet. back off .2-.3 tenths of a grain until the problem goes away. Has the rifle always done this? Did this just start with the retumbo load? Does this problem occur with factory loads? There's plenty to consider, but we're here to help. :grin: :grin:

I would agree with RR on this one as well.

I see it on my 338 EDGE as well and really not to worried about it.

Your velocity and charge is about what one should expect w/300 RUM. I was shooting 180's at 3400 with no problems with H1000.

If your seeing any other signs of pressure then you might wanna back off a grain or so.

Ses1 if you are talking about a rem 700 purchased in the last six or seven months. You more than likely have a model that remington has modified the firing pin hole in the face of the bolt. It appears they have counter sunk the firing pin hole in the face of the bolt. Accordinng to Remingtons Customer Service Quote "This was done to reinforce the primer at the most likely point of failure."I just recently talked to them after buying two new CDL-SF rifles. They both have the problem you were describing. So if you have a new 700 you probably have an enlarged crater not from pressure but from remington revamping the boltface. IMHO it is a effort to hinder reloaders. I'm an old goat and have reloaded since John Nosler was a young man. Mr Nosler and I are about the same age. But in all those years I have never had a failed primer in a Remington rifle. Hope this helpful. But you are doimg the right thing in askinkig questions. If I can help ask away

Just an FYI as the Nosler #6 Manual lists 99.0 grains of Retumbo as the MAX load for the 180gr AccuBond.
I have had to back off a whole grain w/ Retumbo and the 180gr Accubonds in my Sendero due to pressure issues. I about can't open the bolt with the 99.0 grain load.
This is the only gun / load combo I've ever come across in a reloading manual that I've not been able to use due to pressures.

Back