Custom Build - 300 Win. Mag.

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
You know your wife loves you when she makes a secret deal with the gunsmith building your rifle to pay for an engraving job. I was going to pay a few hundred for a tiny bit of scroll work. Instead, I got this. I am not complaining. :)

This is to be my dedicated elk rifle. The action is a 1999 era left-handed Winchester Model 70 originally chambered for 7mm RM.

Some of the work done includes:
  • Receiver completely blue printed and trued.
  • 24" S.S. Bartlein barrel, 1:10 twist, 2B contour, chambered in 300 Win. Mag.
  • Lengthened magazine
  • Free floated barrel
  • Bedded receiver
  • Trigger job
  • Replaced magazine follower
  • Re-fitted original recoil pad
  • Engraving
I have installed a Leupold VX-3i, 3.5-10x40 scope with the Boone & Crockett reticle.
Scoped with the original stock it weighs 9.25 lbs.

I plan to load 180 or 200 gr. AccuBond bullets, whichever shoots better.

I am sorry for my poor photography skills. Trust me - these photos do NOT DO JUSTICE to the work. Too many reflections, bad lighting, etc.

Left-Medium.jpg

Right Side-Medium.jpg

Left Rear-Medium.jpg

Right Rear-Medium.jpg

Breach-Medium.jpg

Muzzle-Medium.jpg

Rings-Medium.jpg

Floor Plate-Medium.jpg

Tang-Medium.jpg

Color me happy! Dan

Dan,

Beautiful rifle! The engraving is amazing and adds a lot of personality to that elk rifle. Wishing you many years of successful hunts with your custom rifle.
Even if it shoots half as good as it looks, it's still going to be a shooter.
Congrats my friend!

JD338

Very nice. One would have to be very carful hunting with it.
You’re very lucky or your wife must have her eye on something big if she did that for you.
He did such a great job on the engraving that the bolt moved to the wrong side😂

Definitely a work of art!:whistle: Now, Dan, something that pretty shouldn't be carried in the wilds of the USA. Send it up to me and I'll take good care of it for you.🇨🇦
DrMike, that would be unique - a righty shooting a left-handed rifle. Dan

Last edited:
Very nice. One would have to be very carful hunting with it.
You’re very lucky or your wife must have her eye on something big if she did that for you.
He did such a great job on the engraving that the bolt moved to the wrong side😂
RL338, I AM very lucky. My wife is not a shooter nor a hunter but she does appreciate art. We stopped in to Euro-Optics near Williamsport, PA once last year. They had some $12,000 & $14,000 rifles there from Europe. As I was drooling all over them, she commented, "These are works of art." and the seed was planted in her mind. Not that it is in any way relevant, but she did greatly appreciate the jewelry she received for Christmas and her birthday...

I am amazed at Joe's (the master engraver/gunsmith) craftsmanship. The engraving at the muzzle is so tiny that it is hard for me to distinguish it without magnification.

Dan

Very nice. Not 100% my cup of tea, but that doesn't stop me from admiring the beauty of the work and the admiration of the skill that went along with it. Again very nice and that is a beautiful rifle. I don't know how you could've asked for a better job by the looks of it. Congratulations.

That is a very nice-looking rifle. It will give you pleasure just looking at it while waiting for the deer and elk to show up. Hats off to your Mrs. as well. Dan.

Back