CZ!....375 Ruger!

Big Squeeze

Handloader
May 29, 2007
On the front cover of my new `08 "Hodgdon Annual Manual" reloading magazine, there is a pic of a beautiful new CZ chambered in the 375 Ruger!..............First were Ruger`s Africans & Alaskans, now Howa`s M1500 coming soon and now again, the CZ`s!...Who`s next?...............The well proven 375 H&H has been around for 95 years and deservedly so! But with the advent of its new design, the 375 Ruger enables the Ruger round to ballistically equal the H&H round from a shorter 20" barrel and exceed it from a tube of equal length....... I`ll predict that with time, the Ruger round will have a greater appeal to potentially new 375 buyers, especially to those who happen to prefer a shorter action and more compact rifle....... Plus, add on all the promotions, all the publicity, the new rifles chambered in the Ruger round and more gunmakers who will chamber for the round, I`ll also predict that in the future ( in many years), the 375 Ruger just might exceed the H&H round in rifle and ammo sales in the USA!............In further going out on a limb, I`ll further predict that the .375 Ruger ammo will be easily obtainable for world wide use, especially in Africa.......Does this mean that any current 375 H&H owners dump their H&H and buy a 375 Ruger? Nope! I wouldn`t if I were an H&H owner! But as older H&H rifles wear out, or an owner wishes to make a rifle change, a few H&H owners will no doubt convert over to the .375 Ruger!..................

I am sorry but the 375 ouch & ouch mag has been the go to mag since 1912.

The quintessential Mag as far as I am concerned.

:wink:

I will have to agree with POP, as good as the 375 Ruger is it is not a 375H&H and I don't think it will take over just because the 375H&H is a classic. For almost a century now men who hunted every thing on this planet used a combo of a 300 of some kind and a 375 of some kind. That is why my favorite is the 300Wby and the 375Wby as a combo for Africa or Alaska or for that matter anywhere else. Guess I am just a classic kind of guy and love a classic. That is like singers, lots of them have come and gone, but there is only one Elvis. :lol: 8)

YoteSmoker":2306hs5k said:
Are you implying H&H stands for Hunka Hunka burnin love?

HA!!! HA!!! HA!!! that is good, YEP a Hunka Hunka burin love - got love a classic it has style. :grin:

I must agree with Pop and Bullet.
The 375 H&H became popular in Africa . It never was popular in the U.S. for hunting except for a few people hunting big bears and moose sized game. It has always been a special caliber that people bought for an expensive big game hunt. Very few people actually have one. I personally think it is an ideal caliber for elk and moose. It has enough shock to put em down before they bleed out. There will be a market for the Ruger because it's new but I don't think enough dear and blackbear hunters will think it's worth the recoil to keep it in the market. It's offshoots "RUGER COMPACT MAGNUMS " on the other hand may do real good.
P.S. Listed velocities on short magnums rarely meet reality and the 375 H&H can be safely loaded hotter with modern powders. The Ruger is seriously pushing it's limits as is.

OK Guys!..................I guess that I`m gonna have be the odd man out here and disagree with all of you!.... Since the H&H round has a 95 year seniority factor over the new Ruger round, of course it stands to reason that many consider the H&H round as their "go to" 375, a classic cartridge, which it defintely is! I sure as hell hope so after a 95 year head start!! Any cartridge that has been around for 95 years and very successful in the process is of course, a classic and should be............Greg! Gotta disagree with ya here! First!... Most who just hunt black bear and/or deer won`t buy a 375 anyway! If the 375 Ruger by chance goes by the wayside or fails, that particular market won`t determine its demise. Instead, its success or failure will be determined by the marketplace, new rifle sales and the variety of rifles available that chamber it. BTW, the RCM`s were an off shoot of the 375 Ruger, not the other way around! The RCM case design was based on the larger 375 Ruger.................At this point, if the 375 Ruger were in serious trouble, why do we see 4 rifle offerings from Ruger; the #1, the #1 (5 animal) special edition, the Alaskan and the African? Why do we see Howa`s later offering of the Ruger round in the M1500 later this year? Why is CZ or Ruger for that matter, offering it when they already offer the H&H round? Why is it likely that other gun makers will follow their leads? Perhaps a very positive market calculation on their part?.............Reloading equipment is readily available from suppliers or distributors. Why? Factory ammo seems to be plentiful. Why?..........To date, there seems to be no evidence which supports potential failure of the 375 Ruger!...........From my particular Alaskan, my factory ammo`s chrono results w/a 270gr. were an average of 2703 fps. from a 20" tube, which exceeded a bit, some of the initial reports. Not meeting reality? I`ll disagree and suggest otherwise! If the H&H can be safely reloaded hotter with modern powders, why not the Ruger round also? In fact, the Ruger casing holds more powder than the H&H by what; 6 to 8 grains; does it not?.............Guys!....I do understand any personal bias towards the H&H. If it ain`t broke don`t or why fix it. But here is where the Ruger round shines over the H&H and why I believe it will be very successful; more so than you think! ... 1) Case capacity! The new case design holds more powder allowing more velocity given the same tube lengths.....2) The Ruger round with its added case capacity, is more efficient in the shorter barrel, which allows the consumer the OPTION of a smaller, more compact rifle package which is NOT available with the H&H!....3) Ballistically, the Ruger round is everything that the 375 H&H is and a little more because of the two above reasons! Disagree with ya Bullet on that one! 95 years of proven seniority by the H&H or lack of it by the Ruger round, has nothing to do with the actual ballistics! The ballistics are what they are. Either way you happen to cut it, slice it, chop it, dice it or anyway else, the Ruger round is slightly better ballistically!!............4) Versus the more powerful 375 Wby. and 378 Wby., the Ruger round, like the H&H round, is offered in the much lesser expensive rifles, which will tap into and probably already has, a greater market share of people who want a 375, but who don`t wish to pay the price of a Wby.......Granted! The powerful 375 RUM is more reasonably priced in the Remy, but like the powerful Wby`s, one will pay the price in greater recoil, greater reloading costs in powder, brass and certainly in the Weatherby`s case, more initial up front rifle purchase costs vs the 375 Ruger alternatives...........5) There is an overwhelming amount of positive publicity, promoting the 375 Ruger! From Hornady, from Ruger, from individual publications, reloading manuals, gun writers (Boddington and others) and no doubt as more gun makers chamber the Ruger round, their promotions will come to bear as well. When you have a new product that you feel is better, you promote it to capture a % of market share!..................If by chance the Ruger round fails, then IMO, it would certainly be one of the greatest blunders in U.S. cartridge history. Everyone was wrong! Ruger, Hornady, Howa, CZ, Boddington (who BTW, even grudingly admitted the Ruger round is better), other writers and all the upcoming gun makers who will chamber the 375 Ruger. All wrong; a huge marketing mistake!............... In the final analysis, TIME and the MARKETPLACE is going to be the determining factor, as to whether the .375 Ruger is successful or not. For the above reasons, I happen to believe that after the passage of many years, the 375 Ruger based on its attributes and the shooting public knowledge thereof, it will be as successful in the USA (based on ammo and rifle sales), as the H&H round and just might possibly exceed it.....We`ll all probably be gone before then anyway and never have the chance to see that should it occur!

Big Squeeze, I agree with a lot of what you say but just can't go with you on this one. Sorry friend :grin:

bullet":1hjqdovg said:
Big Squeeze, I agree with a lot of what you say but just can't go with you on this one. Sorry friend :grin:
.................That`s ok! :wink: ..............But in order for my point to be proven or dis-proven, many years will need to go by!..... But! Ya gotta admit though! Things are well on its way for the 375 Ruger as evidenced by the additional offerings of more manufacturers..........That alone is a very good market indicator. Certainly, if there had been no response to this cartridge from the beginning, things would not be where they are now...............I also believe that Hornady and Ruger working together, would not just take something (a new product), spend big dollars in research & development and then just throw it against the wall and see if it sticks, without doing alot of marketing homework & PR, in order to see if there was a demand for a new .375! Obviously they feel that there is, along with other gun makers.....I have a sneaking suspicision that Ruger, CZ and Howa won`t be the only ones to offer a 375 Ruger alternative!...............Ultimately though, as the years go by, the shooting public will determine the fate of the 375 Ruger!...I wouldn`t bet against it! :wink: :wink: :wink: ...............PS! I just love being an "underdog"...................

Does CZ actually offer the 375 Ruger? I just checked their web site, and all that is listed is the 375 H&H. I think that picture on the Hodgdon manual is just that.. a picture of a rifle, their new powders, and 375 Ruger loading components.

The local Sportsman's Warehouse has a CZ in 375 H&H in stock. Beautiful rifle! If I wasn't such a recoil wimp, I'd grab it.

Ed

Steyr-Mannlicher is also chambering the .375 Ruger and the .338 RCM in their rifles, but I don't know if any are in the US yet.

I got my Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in December of 2006, and I find it to be a good rifle. It also has some things I wanted to fix, and I am working on that. Just now the safety is out being "augmented" to improve operation (one thumb push to take it off instead of two).

Cartridges are fun, but the rifle is really what matters hunting.

jim

edh":34cpxlhi said:
Does CZ actually offer the 375 Ruger? I just checked their web site, and all that is listed is the 375 H&H. I think that picture on the Hodgdon manual is just that.. a picture of a rifle, their new powders, and 375 Ruger loading components.

The local Sportsman's Warehouse has a CZ in 375 H&H in stock. Beautiful rifle! If I wasn't such a recoil wimp, I'd grab it.

Ed
.............EDH!.......On page 3 of the new Hodgdon `08 Annual Reloading Manual, there is a FOREWARD by Ron Reiber who is the product manager for Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester Powder Co...........Quote!...."For 2008, our cover is graced with a beautiful CZ rifle chambered in the new 375 Ruger cartridge. Hornady introduced the cartridge to the industry and Ruger supplied the first rifles. Our cover rifle is equiped with a Burris 1.75x5 scope, perfect for big, dangerous game. As can be seen from the items on the cover, components and reloading dies for this new cartridge are already available. Three new powders are shown, all yielding top performance in the 375 Ruger, as well as dozens of other popular cartridges."......Unquote!............That`s exactly what it says! Perhaps it`s not just a rifle pic of any rifle as you might want to think?? There it is, in clear black and white for ya!....Perhaps CZ has not updated their website YET??? Possible?..........

HunterJim":ur6pet9q said:
Steyr-Mannlicher is also chambering the .375 Ruger and the .338 RCM in their rifles, but I don't know if any are in the US yet.

I got my Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in December of 2006, and I find it to be a good rifle. It also has some things I wanted to fix, and I am working on that. Just now the safety is out being "augmented" to improve operation (one thumb push to take it off instead of two).

Cartridges are fun, but the rifle is really what matters hunting.

jim
.....................Steyr-Mannlicher? In the 375 Ruger? RCM`s too?...Well Well! I didn`t know that!.... Add another maker to the growing list who sees the vision...Hmmm! I wonder if Steyr has something in mind, so as to maybe introduce the 375 Ruger to the European market??? Hmmmm!................Thanks Jim for that info!

Guilty of not reading the forward and believing a web site would have up to date information. :oops: Forgive me? :wink:

That would make a great rifle/cartridge combination. I would have a hard time deciding between the cartridges. Each having their advantages. I consider them ballistic twins as far as the type of rifle I would buy in this powerful of a cartridge. One has to balance the history and proven feeding of the long, tapered case of the 375 H&H on one hand, vs the modern, shorter, non-belted RCM on the other.

I've also had non firearm related disagreements with Bill Ruger in the past, but with the 204 Ruger and now the 375 Ruger, I may have to get over that.

Ed

Big Squeeze, wayyy tooo much caffein man...Or, should I ask you to share whatever it is that you are smokin'?????

edh":30dvtb4o said:
Guilty of not reading the forward and believing a web site would have up to date information. :oops: Forgive me? :wink:

That would make a great rifle/cartridge combination. I would have a hard time deciding between the cartridges. Each having their advantages. I consider them ballistic twins as far as the type of rifle I would buy in this powerful of a cartridge. One has to balance the history and proven feeding of the long, tapered case of the 375 H&H on one hand, vs the modern, shorter, non-belted RCM on the other.

I've also had non firearm related disagreements with Bill Ruger in the past, but with the 204 Ruger and now the 375 Ruger, I may have to get over that.

Ed
.................Guilty as charged!! :lol: :lol: ........They ballistically are very close. Though I`m sure that any game animal would not have a personal preference as to which one they`d prefer to be shot with, as there would be no difference in the final outcome! :lol: :lol: :lol:.............With todays modern computers, technology and knowledge to this date, cartridge designers or engineers already have a good idea of what is already known, what works and is successful and what not to do. We certainly don`t need another 95-100 years or so to prove a cartridges worth..............Ya know, I have tried to create feeding problems with my Ruger Alaskan by loading the magazine, the chamber and quickly cycling the bolt to create a feeding problem.....That rifle just doesn`t want to co-operate and give me any feeding problems to gripe about! :shock: There are no feeding problems nor will there be with the 375 Ruger!......Since my Ruger Alaskan will be going to my neighbor after my 375 Ruger Howa M1500 arrives, I suspect that it too will have no feeding problems due to its shorter 30-06 length action!! I will try to create some though!...I`d bet on the rifle and not on me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TRIC":1h69y53u said:
Big Squeeze, wayyy tooo much caffein man...Or, should I ask you to share whatever it is that you are smokin'?????
..............................Well Well!! What do we have here?? Yeah! I know! A snowball has a better chance in hell, than the 375 Ruger has with the buying public, or to someday possibly equal the 375 H&H in rifle and ammo sales in the USA!!....RIGHT???........Smokin?? I don`t smoke! I drink de-caff coffee. So no caffeen there! Sorry "tric"...........Can you share some marketing insights with the rest of us, as to why its not possible for the 375 Ruger to be as successful. Can you show some current marketing evidence to prove so??

No, you mis-understand. I'm sure the 375 Ruger is a fine cartridge. I have read the reviews, and don't fault it's potential. I own several Ruger rifles, in various calibers, and won't ever think of down-grading their workmanship and attention to detail. What I find strange is the mass abundance of exuberance that you are expressing for one particular cartridge!!!! Hell, I haven't seen that much excitement since the Olson Twins announced they were anorexic.....

Back