Daughter's Speed Goat!

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
55226.jpg

Would have posted this sooner but we've been busy doing things. Opening morning we found this buck on my Dad's property, we put three stalks on this guy until we were able to get a good shot on him. My Daughter has been using for the last four years a M700 Classic in .300 Savage with an older gloss Burris Fullfield 3-9X40 duplex reticle zeroed at 300 yards, and her load was manufactured by Double Tap using 125 grain Nosler BT at 3000 fps.

Details of the shot are 350 yards from kneeling position rested on shooting shooting sticks. The hit was a little back but still managed to take both lungs with a very short death dash, leaving about a half dollar sized exit wound with a huge amount of blood and lung left behind. My Daughter has extreme confidence in this rifle and load, and is racking up quite a few one shot kills on game with it, unlike her old man who changes rifles and loads on a regular basis she has no desires to try anything different.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the success my Daughter is having.

Link to more pictures!

Awesome. Congratulations to your daughter on her antelope.

JD338

Congratulations to your daughter. She did very well, very well, indeed! And congratulations to her mentor. You did well, dad!

salmonchaser":3z7mks0p said:
Smart girl, apparently that apple fell off the other tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(y) Yes it did! She has me thinking of the way I do things. She has such extreme confidence in that rifle and load that she's put together an impressive string of one shot kills on game over the last few years. She's killed 10 Oklahoma whitetail and 2 Colorado pronghorn with it in the last four seasons, and she still has Oklahoma season starting the 18th. I'm even thinking of just using one rifle for hunting, probably won't happen but at least I'm thinking.

She had an elk in her sights last year but passed on the shot at 425 yards because she wasn't comfortable with the shot, she was using 135 grain TTSX bullets for that hunt. She hasn't had a mule deer in the scope yet as the area we hunt take two preference points to draw, so we have been chasing them with a .50 caliber Muzzle loader on the plains and haven't connected the dots yet. However, when she does were going to have a lot of meat in the freezer.

Hell of a girl you have there. Well done, I'd guess she's a good student and probably about ready to take the world by storm.

Very Exciting! They sure are good eating!
Congratulations to you daughter!

Be aware...the young lady who only owns one rifle probably knows how to use it....and is a damn fine shot. :grin: Super cool. CL

cloverleaf":35xnvcai said:
Be aware...the young lady who only owns one rifle probably knows how to use it....and is a damn fine shot. :grin: Super cool. CL

She's pretty proficient with a pistol and revolver as well!

She owns more than one rifle, and the one she doesn't shoot at all holds a soft spot for you CL. She has a custom built mini Maurer in .250-3000, but she lost faith in it after it broke one day at the range. The bolt stop and magazine are highly modified to accommodate the cartridge, and one day while practicing for deer season the bolt stop failed and she pulled the bolt out while cycling. I had it fixed, but not until after the deer hunt and she's shown no interest in the rifle since. She used her .223 for that year and the next she moved into the .300 Savage.

I hope she'll give the little Savage another chance, at under 7lbs it makes a nice rifle to carry and hunt the mountains with.

Excellent! What a cool rifle, and... really nice shooting! I like that 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip...

Congratulations you two.

Guy

Guy Miner":1tppd0bo said:
Excellent! What a cool rifle, and... really nice shooting! I like that 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip...

Congratulations you two.

Guy

Guy I like the 125 BT as well, seems to be a very stout bullet. We haven't recovered one yet. I have a few Accubonds of the same weight to try as well when the Double Tap ammo runs out.

taylorce1":2p05b45z said:
cloverleaf":2p05b45z said:

She's pretty proficient with a pistol and revolver as well!

She owns more than one rifle, and the one she doesn't shoot at all holds a soft spot for you CL. She has a custom built mini Maurer in .250-3000, but she lost faith in it after it broke one day at the range. The bolt stop and magazine are highly modified to accommodate the cartridge, and one day while practicing for deer season the bolt stop failed and she pulled the bolt out while cycling. I had it fixed, but not until after the deer hunt and she's shown no interest in the rifle since. She used her .223 for that year and the next she moved into the .300 Savage.

I hope she'll give the little Savage another chance, at under 7lbs it makes a nice rifle to carry and hunt the mountains with.

Of course I'm a little jealous, :) but confidence is a big part of success as you know. No flies on a 300 Sav. and that 125 Gr. must be easy enough to shoot. The 300 was just "more of a good thing". Congrats again! CL

Back