Decisions, decisions...

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Found a VX7 (yes, 7) 2.5-10x45 for under a grand.

Leupold told me VX6's (I have one ordered) are expected to be shipped by Sept 1.

VX7 comes with Alumina lens covers as part of the price.

The VX6 does not come with the Alumina covers, which I want. The VX6 cost is about $90 less, and the Alumina's cost about $40 each. Price is a wash.

Leupold rep today told me flat out....no optical performance difference between the 6 and 7. His exact words were "the major difference is a 6x multiplier instead of a 4x multiplier."

I have a 6 on order now with SWFA. SWFA has it setup that when the scope arrives with them, it will leave headed for me that same day.

I leave for a hunting trip in NC the last week of October.

Hmmmm........

I have that precise VX7, and it is a very fine scope. The only downside I can see for you, is that I have it and have used it before you. :lol: Of course, there is always the fact that my VX6 is still on order, and then I might just have it before you as well.

Seriously, Tom, the VX7 is an excellent scope; and that is a good price. You get some excellent service for a lifetime with the VX7.

DrMike":3161zh5i said:
I have that precise VX7, and it is a very fine scope. The only downside I can see for you, is that I have it and have used it before you. :lol: Of course, there is always the fact that my VX6 is still on order, and then I might just have it before you as well.

Seriously, Tom, the VX7 is an excellent scope; and that is a good price. You get some excellent service for a lifetime with the VX7.

All points I've considered, lol.

I do like the service that comes with the -7. Would get on my doorstep for $1002. It's silver matte, which isn't my favorite, but the rifle is matte stainless, so it kinda works (except for the black/blued Talley mounts, lol).

So the only thing to consider is....2.5-10x45 vs 2-12x42 ? For an eastern deer hunter who hunts in So. Pa and NC? Yeah...Go for it!!

It could be another three months before the VX-6 are released.

Let me guess......this is for a 30-06? :mrgreen:

CatskillCrawler":me6ngb7c said:
So the only thing to consider is....2.5-10x45 vs 2-12x42 ? For an eastern deer hunter who hunts in So. Pa and NC? Yeah...Go for it!!

It could be another three months before the VX-6 are released.

Let me guess......this is for a 30-06? :mrgreen:

300WSM. Ha! :)

tddeangelo":3lm113tk said:

I'm calling shenanigans!!

I still think you'll be well-served with the VX-7. I like the look of SS scope and barrel with a black stock and rings and bases.

CatskillCrawler":38g4hxeo said:
tddeangelo":38g4hxeo said:

I'm calling shenanigans!!

I still think you'll be well-served with the VX-7. I like the look of SS scope and barrel with a black stock and rings and bases.

That's what it'd be......M70 Extreme Weather...fluted SS barrel, SS receiver and trigger guard, cracked finish black composite stock. Talley black mounts.

Probably going to get a black synthetic M1907 Sling from Turner Saddlery, too.

Tom,

My VX7 is mounted on my 300 WSM; it is just perfect for that cartridge. Man, if you don't want it, maybe I should snap it up. It'd give me an excuse for another rifle.

DrMike":31u2unhe said:
Tom,

My VX7 is mounted on my 300 WSM; it is just perfect for that cartridge. Man, if you don't want it, maybe I should snap it up. It'd give me an excuse for another rifle.

Just ordered the VX7 and will cancel the VX6 order tomorrow. You'll have to take the ball on that one, Mike.

If anyone's interested, the clearance on -7's is at Midway. $989 for a 2.5-10x45 Satin Grey VX7 with an XT Duplex. Midway rep today confirmed...new, sealed in factory packaging scopes. Leupold confirmed inclusion of Alumina covers....and documentation says they continue the premium service plan on 7's as well. Same price I'd pay to get a VX6 and then add the Alumina covers.

Should have it by the 24th......

I believe you made the correct call on that one. It is a fine scope. The Satin Grey looks very nice. I have a VX3 in Satin Grey mounted on my 325 WSM, and it is quite tiddly.

DrMike":4jn62i6y said:
I believe you made the correct call on that one. It is a fine scope. The Satin Grey looks very nice. I have a VX3 in Satin Grey mounted on my 325 WSM, and it is quite tiddly.

Thanks, Mike. I'm sure now that I made the order, the 6's will be on shelves tomorrow. Just the way of it, lol. Enjoy the 6 when you get it. I'm very interested in how it performs. For equal price, though, I couldn't pass up the service they package with the 7.

For equal price, though, I couldn't pass up the service they package with the 7.

That is for certain. I do enjoy the Alumina covers; these are the first I've owned. I'll undoubtedly be buying more. I haven't needed the service. If I should ever require the service, I'll be glad it is there.

Great choice Tom. Should be an excellent scope for the 300. Can't wait to hear about how much you like it! Scotty

beretzs":xyss29ke said:
Great choice Tom. Should be an excellent scope for the 300. Can't wait to hear about how much you like it! Scotty

Thanks, Scotty! Can't wait for it to arrive. Once Midway's shipping status confirms it's been processed, I'm going to call SWFA and cancel my VX6 order.

Now I need to get on the horn with Turner and order a sling....

I need to check out this Turner leather, I have some mil-surp rifles that need some love and my son's rifle needs a new sling. Hate to watch him walk around with a nylon, camo strap.

CatskillCrawler":29o5zdnd said:
I need to check out this Turner leather, I have some mil-surp rifles that need some love and my son's rifle needs a new sling. Hate to watch him walk around with a nylon, camo strap.

They make good stuff. I have two repro M1907's. One is a National Match sling, but a "second". I can't find the blemish, but they say there is one. I think I paid $37 for it a few years ago, and they haven't changed much in price.

They make repro's authentic for WWI and WWII, plus synthetic "all weather" slings (might be what I get for this rifle, or I might just get another "second" NM sling).

I have a brown leather/brass hooks WWI style sling for my M1917, and the NM sling is on one of my M1's.

I could use a couple more repro's, too, but that can wait. Several of my older rifles have genuine leather M1907's, too, but they are in no condition for actual use as a sling.

You really can't go wrong with Turner, though. If getting a sling for a hunting rifle, be sure to get 1.25" sling swivels, too.

another familiar guy , how you doing Tom ? you better be ready for NC . I don't want to have to shoot em all . LOL

the lumina caps are fantastic . that's about all I can add to this conversation . Jim

jimbires":18uunhyt said:
another familiar guy , how you doing Tom ? you better be ready for NC . I don't want to have to shoot em all . LOL

the lumina caps are fantastic . that's about all I can add to this conversation . Jim

I still have load work to do on the 300, but once I get the VX7 mounted, I can get serious about it.

Work to do on the '06 and 257 loads. Thinking the 300 and '06 will be my picks, but won't know till I'm there, lol.

Scope is on the UPS truck for delivery to my house today. Hope to have it when I get home. :)

Back