Deer cartridges for varminting?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
How about experiences using your deer rifle on varmints?

Back in the 1970's, Dad and I used 130 grain hollowpoints from our .30-06 rifles and surely busted up the rockchucks!

Grandpa smoked us all, and a whole lot of varmints, using one of the early .257 Weatherby rifles, with handloaded 100 grain hollowpoints. His was a real early .257 made up on a Mauser 98 action in Roy's old shop in the 1950's. The rifle was heavily used on both varmints & deer.

Dad treated me to a Rem 700 in 6mm Remington for a high-school graduation present. Topped with a 3-9x Leupold, it was dynamite on varmints. Although I've loaded it with 55 - 105 grain bullets, it hit varmint nirvana with bullets of 70 - 75 grains. My youngest son still uses that rifle, although we've upgraded to a 3.5-10x scope. Excellent walk-around varmint rifle that's also a dandy deer rifle out to 300 yards.

I find myself without a dedicated varmint rifle these days, and am making do (poor me) with a .25-06 Rem 700 CDL, as well as my two custom .308's, one Remington, one Winchester. I tend to load and shoot only 100 grain bullets from the .25-06, at 3340 fps. Zaps the varmints. That skinny sporter barrel wouldn't last long at a prarie dog town though.

The .308's are very interesting, as they were built for accuracy - but with 155 & 168 grain match bullets. With 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, loaded to 3100 - 3200 fps, they're pretty mean on small furry critters too. At 500 yards, the little bullet is still doing nearly 2000 fps, and produces great accuracy! These two rifles have become favorite varminters, which I didn't really expect.

I won't go into the times I've blasted crows, ground squirrels, rockchucks & coyotes with a 7mm Rem mag or a .300 Win mag... Believe me, they work... :roll:

How about you guys? Varmints with your deer rifle?

Great idea. The varmint season is much longer also.

Here in the East where its far more settled the noise and richochets matter so I use a 243 for my 'big' gun most of the time.

Those larger bullets really rip them. I like that.

I use all my big game rifles for varmints just for practice and to see how different bullets work, ya know just tinkering around. Coyote is my #1 varmint of choice. There fair game with anything I have handy at the time. If I was going to go with a dedicated varmint/coyote round, it would probly be the plain old 243 Win w/a 70g BT. My 25-06 with a 75g vmax is hard on varmints, as well as my barrel!! Most anything can work as a varmint rifle as long as its accurate!

I learned how to shoot rifle with my 280 Remington. It's pretty much a dual purpose rifle for both varmint and deer. With 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip; it used to cover all of my shooting needs. You think that's overkill? My buddy shoot everything with his 300 Win Mag Remington Sendero loaded with 200 grain Barnes X bullet. That's the only rifle he use for all his hunting needs. With that combination, he harvested Buffalo, elk, deer, bear, antilope, rabbit, ground squirrels, bobcat, coyote and crows. That rifle is an extension of his arm.

I've blast squirrels and yotes with all my calibers, ranging from my 204 Ruger, 270WSM, 300RUM to my 338WM. Granted, the RUM is a bit rough on the shoulder, but it sure does help my ability in shooting it. 200ABs do wonderful things to squirrels at 3100fps.

Many a Wyoming Prairie dog have fallen to:

125 gr -3006
90 gr- 270
100- 7mm-08
75 gr 243 & 6mm rem

and the list goes on and on.........

Funny you should bring up this topic Guy. I just picked up a couple of hundred 125 grain BT's to load in my .300 WSM. I am trying to get a reduced load for plinking and coyotes, or whatever else comes along, maybe even a bobcat. I am trying to come up with something that hits close enough at 100 yards that I don't have to adjust my scope from my 200 grain AccuBond hunting load.

I have used the 280 Rem w/ 140 gr BT, 257 Bob w/ 100 gr BT and 115 gr PT, 243 Win w/ 70 gr BT to take varmits and predators. These days I'm using a 22-250 with 50 gr BT's. (Some consider the 22-250 a deer getter with the right bullet but I will never agree to it).
I've also used my S&W 629 44 Mag w/ 200 gr JHP and 240 gr JHP to kill more than a few porcupines

JD338

I also have used my .280, mostly as a yote gun. .260 & 7-08 too.
.300RUM next weekend on a planned yote hunt.....I'll post pieces if there are any.

:grin: Powerstroke - I just hope you were careful on your predator hunt. Am not sure you're using enough gun for those coyotes... :wink:

Just got done loading up some 7mm.Rem. mag. 140 gr.CT Ballistic tip bullets
this morning. Plan on using them to shoot coyotes and deer here in Alabama.
I like the 7mm's and I feel like the 140 gr. will rip a coyote open!

Yah it oughta do the trick!! The 140g NBT is a pretty good bullet out of the 7 RM for deer/yotes. Just enough weight to get to the other side, while giving some pretty nasty inbetween effects :grin:

Guy,
Didn't make the trip, jinxed myself I guess. The interstate got closed down due to high winds and blowing snow the day I was leaving. Just gives me a little more time to get the RUM tuned !
On a yote hunt you can never have tooooo much lead in the air !

Yup. Off season practice. 6mm 25-06 and even the 30-06 got plenty of use. But that is as big as it gets.

Hundreds of mighty gophers have fallen by the lowly 375 H&H . It kind of rips them in two. 300 win. mag and 130 grain hollowpoints + coyote = schrapnell. 338 win. mag. + gophers = pieces flying. 270 Weatherby mag has to be one of the best. It will throw them 20 feet vertically. :twisted: the 25 06 is just as much fun. Excellent off season practice.

I bought my 460Wby mag in the spring and couldn't wait to break her in on game. The only plentiful game around was the PA groundhogs which I was stalking every week

With a little loading data from another 460 fan I was able to get 50 rounds loaded up with the Hornady 300gr HP bullet. The 460 WBY did wonders on groundhogs. Best thing was that it didn't matter if they were in the holes or not! :lol:

If it is not fast high volume shooting any caliber and velocitywill work.The most important thing is practice, practicepractice. This gets you off the bench and into a scenarioyou can see on your next big game hunt. The varmint is dead wether hit with a .243 or a 300 Win Mag. the most important part is that you got em with good practice and this confidence you can take into the field deer hunting. My mother once told me when I was a little boy that you will not get to Carnegie Hall with out lots of good practice.

I may catch some heat for this, but the 257 would be ideal for you! Because you could easily expand your some of your son's 6mm brass to 257. However, the only problem is that (as far as i know) only Ruger produces them. I'd give a close look at a 243. In my experience there's little difference between the two! 243, 6mm, or 257 rob would all be a great choice! My only advise for you would be; make well placed shoots if your going after deer!!!

Back