Deer Hunting: 375 H&H Load Request

I have used the 375 H&H on African Plainsgame of all sizes for camp meat, The 300 gr. bullets are tough for use on Cape Buffalo and as such, they are great on the smaller stuff as they don't expand violently and tend to just cut a good size hole, a quick kill, exit hole the size of a quarter, mostly instant kills but some may run 25 to 50 yards as with any caliber, but always a good blood trail.

Lighter higher velocity bullets tend to be very destructive, especially if bone is encountered...I would suggest a 300 Sierra BTSP or the 300 gr. Hornady...Actually there is no such thing as bullet failure with a 300 gr. .375 at 2500 FPS. You will have less bloodshot meat with a 375 than with a 243 or 270.

I have hunted deer and hogs with a 375 H&H. You don't need premium bullets, cup & core that are accurate in your rifle will work just as well. Some 260/270gr factory loads can have felt recoil worse than the 300 grainers. If you want to drop the recoil drop the velocity with whatever bullet you are using. I would stay away from bullets for the 375Win, unless you run them at 375Win velocities. Even then you give up a lot of BC. I generally use 250gr Sierras and nothing I have ever hit walked away from 20 to 450 yds. I have never recovered a bullet either...

Not the 375 H&H but a 375 Ruger with factory Hornady 270gr. ammo chronograhed at 2777fps. Last December used it on a mule deer doe on a damage control hunt. High shoulder shot at 150yds. 375 caliber entrance and quarter size exit. Less blood shot and meat damage then my 270wsm would of done. Now I am loading a 300gr. Nosler AccuBond at 2590fps. and a Woodleigh 350gr. PP. at 2391fps.

I would never worry about using the 235gr. Speers as I have stated before there are at least 3 guys that I know use it exclusively here in Saskatchewan for big game. I have never had it chronied but have been told it is 2900fps or a little better using H4895 if I remember right.

Blessings,
Dan

Buddy of mine used the 235 gr Speer for many years on mule deer and elk with excellent results. I've got a range test of that bullet posted in the bullet test section.

Glad that you are feeling better. The 375 is the best all round caliber there is IMO. Stay away from the 375 and 38 55 Winchester bullets. I tried some 255 grain 38 55 and they are a grenade at H&H velocity. I found that the 270 grain bt and the 300 grain worked great for everything from gophers to moose. Have fun.

Back