Deer Hunting with a .308 win?

JD338

This was a young bull! My son and I along with a buddy had hunted for two years without getting a shot at a bull; had hunted over around Ground Hog Reservoir in SW Colorado the year previous with no luck and the morning I shot this bull....both my son and Dave were with me and they wanted me to take the first shot! I guess 'seniority has its priviledges' as they say and this bull showed itself. First shot with a Nosler BT behind the right front shoulder....the bullet passed all the way through and exited the left shoulder! Bull hunced up and fell on his nose within two strides! Range wasn't but 110 yards or so but the .308 will put them on their nose a lot farther out than that....if the right man is behind the buttplate! I know....I've done it too many times!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO THE BOARD!! :lol: :lol:

Here's my sons:

f8ae-2.jpg

And then Dave's bull:

303a-1.jpg

Sharpsman":3u2pvyfj said:
I can't count...the bucks I've killed over 56 years of hunting whitetails and mule deer using the 'pipsqueak cartidge'! I started out using the ole worn out 30/06....and then after the advent of the .308 Win....I caught fire on it! With the right bullet and the right marksmanship....it'll do everything the ole '06 will do!

That's my opinion....and I'm stickin to it!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YA!!

And happy New Year to you Sir!!! Congrats on your animals & I am glad you have enjoyed these hunts with you sons, that is worth far more than the trophies or anything else pertaining to the hunts. I took my sons Deer hunting alot when they were under my roof & I have taken 2 of my boys on a Wyoming Deer & Antelope(one at a time) & plan to make my youngest to Wy. next year. for the same hunt & Lord willing after that, hopefully Elk with each. You are fortunate.

I notice that you have used the dreaded BT for some of your hunting. I have received a great deal of grief on another forum for calling the hand of a couple of BT bashers & this was for Deer sized game & Deer is where I have used them with much success.

Thanks again!

nomosendero

Killed lots of game with BTs; never any problems! Shoved them through several calibers over the years and they always performed well and NEVER lost any game shot while using them! I think Nosler is now using a somewhat thicker 'jacket' on the BTs and that should help control expansion a good bit.

For the past couple years I've used the AccuBond and it has performed up to my expectations....which are fairly stringent!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YA! :lol: :lol:

Sharpsman

Any bull elk taken in fair chase is a trophy. What caliber is your son shooting, looks a little bigger than your 308.

nomosendero,

BT's work, and they work very well. As I have said many time in the past, BT "failures" are a result of either a) wrong bullet for the application or b) operator error.
A lot of BT bashers are relating to second and third hand information, they have never used a BT. Let them say what they want, we know what works. :wink:

JD338

JD338, yes they do work. I use them alot & I know of a bunch of others that do as well with complete success. Yes, this debate got a little bloody
but I decided to not put up with the misinformation.

In 2 of my guns(270 & 300WM), I have decide to use the Accubonds as alround choices & they are about all you could ask for. I will still be using BT's in others quite a bit & am looking forward to using the new 168BT some in my M700VS.

Guy Miner":g712z0co said:
Sharpsman - you know you can't kill an elk with a little old 150 grainer out of a mere .308 Winchester! :grin: Now you just quit funnin' us and show us the buffalo gun you really used! :wink:

A ballistic tip no less!

nomosendero

IF...that 168 BT has a 13 degree BT like the Sierra...I'd question whether or not it's usage for LR! Any bullet with a 13 degree BT has the same 'drag function' as a flat-based bullet. The Sierra 168 is GREAT for which it was designed aka 300 meter comp shooting but for long range....it lacks adequate performance! IF....the new BT has say the same BT configuration as the Sierra 155 Palma bullet....all will be OK! Sierra designed the Palma bullet with a 9 degree BT....and it's one helluva GREAT LR projectile!! :lol: :lol:

Sharpsman":20l3hdm9 said:
nomosendero

IF...that 168 BT has a 13 degree BT like the Sierra...I'd question whether or not it's usage for LR! Any bullet with a 13 degree BT has the same 'drag function' as a flat-based bullet. The Sierra 168 is GREAT for which it was designed aka 300 meter comp shooting but for long range....it lacks adequate performance! IF....the new BT has say the same BT configuration as the Sierra 155 Palma bullet....all will be OK! Sierra designed the Palma bullet with a 9 degree BT....and it's one helluva GREAT LR projectile!! :lol: :lol:

I figured the 168gr BT would have the same BC as a 168BST, which is .490 & the same degree boat tail as the other BT's, but I don't know that. That is one of the reasons that I am eager to try some. The BC of a 165BT is .475, so it seems to be a good gain for just 3 grains more bullet.

Hopefully, one of the Nosler guys will get on here & tell us which is the case. How about it, Nosler guys?

JD338":91vn6fnp said:
Sharpsman

Any bull elk taken in fair chase is a trophy. What caliber is your son shooting, looks a little bigger than your 308.

nomosendero,

BT's work, and they work very well. As I have said many time in the past, BT "failures" are a result of either a) wrong bullet for the application or b) operator error.
A lot of BT bashers are relating to second and third hand information, they have never used a BT. Let them say what they want, we know what works. :wink:

JD338

JD338

That's a 7 Mag! Next week.....he'll be shooting something else!! He subscribes to the philosophy that a bullet needs to be moving out at Mach 45!! :lol: :lol:

nomosendero":2rq6xdtt said:
Sharpsman":2rq6xdtt said:
nomosendero

I figured the 168gr BT would have the same BC as a 168BST, which is .490 & the same degree boat tail as the other BT's, but I don't know that. That is one of the reasons that I am eager to try some. The BC of a 165BT is .475, so it seems to be a good gain for just 3 grains more bullet.

Hopefully, one of the Nosler guys will get on here & tell us which is the case. How about it, Nosler guys?

Well, if no one from Nosler, perhaps JD or POP?

I will try to get an answer for you guys.

JD338

Lets see generaly the 308win keeps to about 100fps less than the 06 with up to 180gr bullets. Shouldn't they just bouce off at that slow of speed? :shock: :roll: :oops:

How does the 300mag do it at 400 yards with the same bullet? Its the head stamp I bet, Must be. :wink:

tjen":2xhnpv14 said:
Lets see generaly the 308win keeps to about 100fps less than the 06 with up to 180gr bullets. Shouldn't they just bouce off at that slow of speed? :shock: :roll: :oops:

How does the 300mag do it at 400 yards with the same bullet? Its the head stamp I bet, Must be. :wink:

Yep just to much time on my hands today.

C'mon guys, everybody knows that the bullets from a 308 just bounce off deer!! :wink: :p Sheesh! I cannot imagine where some of these people come from. The 308 will kill deer cleanly way out past where most hunters should be shooting at them. Just put the bullet in the proper place and it's all over but the grinning. I have shot a number of deer right out to just over 300 yards with the 300 Savage, a round with just a little less punch than the 308. The deer sure never resisted dying because they were shot with it! My personal favorite deer rifles are the 270, the 6.5x55 and the 7x57, but the 308 would certainly not handicap me in any way. Just practice and then place your shot carefully. Deer will drop just as well as with anything else. Regards, Eagleye.

Eagleye

A 300 Savage at 300 yds? :shock: Thats a brush gun. :p
Now I know why your name is Eagleye.
Actually, the M99 300 Savage is a popular combo here in MI and collects a lot of venison every year.
I agree that the 308 Win can kill farther than most can shoot it. Well said.

JD338

nomosendero":plazw2bi said:
Could it be that the BC of the 168BT will be a secret?

Nosler 168 gr BT, P/N 30000
BC is .490
SD is .253

JD338

JD338":1dn63w0i said:
nomosendero":1dn63w0i said:
Could it be that the BC of the 168BT will be a secret?

Nosler 168 gr BT, P/N 30000
BC is .490
SD is .253

JD338

Thanks JD for the info!! I expected them to have the same profile as the CT 168 & I am glad to see that's the case. Like I said before, going from a BC of .475 for the 165 to a BC of .490 for the 168 with only a 3 gr. difference in bullet weight sounds real good. I don't have to use just one bullet in my 308 for everything, but I like to do that when I can. I will try this bullet for a paper punching Tactical load & for animals no bigger than Mule Deer. I will check this & the 168 Berger VLD for the same.

nomosendero

Glad to help.

Let us know how your 308 shoots.

JD338

My old Favorite IMR 4895 @ 43.6 with WW Palma Brass and RWS Primers....using Sierra Gameking 165 BTHP.......superb deer and caribou load!

Back