Depth for the 220 pt in 300 Win

elkslayer308

Beginner
Mar 27, 2006
I was asked to load some 220 grain Partitions in 300 Win Mag for a good friend of mine lately and though they shot well single shot at the range, when we loaded up the magazine for some rapid fire in shooting positions, we found that the 2nd and 3rd bullets in the mag had slipped crimp and were then loose. The brass was new and had sufficient neck tension. The gun is a ruger mkII m77 and thus needs to follow the oal length rules of 06 length actions. The bullets have no cannelure or band to crimp to. Rem 25-06, i know and trust your opinion as it is alot like mine but i just am stumped on this one. What can i do to get them to quit slipping crimp?

elkslayer308,

Run the new brass through your resizing die to true up the case. I do this and then square up the case on the case trimmer so all the cases are the exact same length.
Seat the bullets to just under the length of your magazine so you have some clearence.

JD338

I have already done that exact thing and i still sit with the ogive of that long 220 gr bullet being too far into the case to have sufficient neck tension.

You may want to check with the Shooters Pro Shop to see if they have any seconds that are banded.
You might also want to consider the same with the 200 gr PT.
The 200 gr PT will give you lots of penetration.

JD338

Just curious. Why would one opt fot the 220 in lieu of a 200?

You might have tried these but I'll offer them up just in case.

You might want to check the diameter of your expander ball. You might be able to get a slightly smaller one or polish yours down a tiny bit to give your cases a tighter fit.

Also make sure there is no sizing lube in the necks - brush them out with a bronze brush before loading.

Try a Lee factory crimp die though I'd be careful if it appears the crimp would land on the Partition - don't know what that would do. There was a big debate between Speer and Lee on use of this die and its effect on bullet performance but I think lightly applied just to add neck tension would do little harm. Over crimping is another issue. I have used a Lee on 348 bullets that weren't cannelured but haven't had the chance to assess game performance.

For most uses the 200 Partition would probably be as good as the 220 - I like them both but carry the 220 in really thick bear country.

HTH

Like i said, i made these loads for a good friend of mine. I personally think that using anything over 200 grain in 300 Win Mag is ridiculous. It defeats the point of having a flat-shooting magnum rifle. The 200 grain at 2960, should kill anything we are likely to encounter on this continent and a few others as dead as Jimmy Hoffa. The 220 is at such a low velocity you dont hit any harder and though it will penetrate deeper, i dont think that it would "kill" any faster. Nope, the 200 is right on, but i use 180- pts and abs in my 300 mag.

I loaded 220gr PT(2760fps) for my 300wm Sako Finnsport for a bison hunt but didn't use them, wish I had cause the 180gr sierra game kings didn't penetrate until I got 1 shot under the rib cage into the vitals.Retrieved small pieces of the sierra bullets from the ribs just inside of the hide.Read a comment about bullet weight guess some haven't checked the bullet weights of the sharps rifles used on bison in 45-70,45-90,45-110,50-70,50-90 all used heavy bullets ,I loaded and shot 45-70 ammo using 405gr and 500gr bullets or bullet weights with other big bores like 35,350 rem mag,338,375,416,454,460,etc.

Back