Die choices....help.

Elkman":3t5l9u2n said:
I am going back to the original question .
are the match grade dies worth the difference in price? Can a middling loader get better results with them or is it best left to guys chasing bug holes at 1000yds?
My answer is a profound "no", and "yes". There are so many variables to the answer. Are bug hole groups necessary to consistently take game? Does the shooter have the skills to shoot those bug hole groups? Does he/she have the appropriate hardware, regardless of the loading ? Does the rifle/scope combination really have the quality to shoot such groups? Without these elements in place, the price and quality of the dies are inconsequential. For instance my off the shelf !965 Model 70 will shoot 1 inch three shot groups at 300 yards, using ammo loaded with a set of standard RCBS dies, purchased in 1970, and a Herters Press purchased in the 60's. Could I get better accuracy with top of the line dies? Maybe, but how much? Do I need more? I don't think so. My second example is my .308, Remington Tactical which is just a few years old. It does shoot bug hole groups, as small as .198 at 100 yards. Just how much smaller can it do? Can I shoot better than that? Do I need smaller groups? Again the same answer is i don't think so. Competition shooters need to wring every bit of accuracy out of there hardware to be competitive. They spend thousands of dollars on rifle/scope combinations, thousands of hours and rounds of range time to hone their skills, thousands of dollars on reloading equipment, all in order to get to the last .01 of an inch. But most hunters do not need that extra .01 inch, the majority will get through there hunting life without that extra .01

I’m definitely with Elkman on much of this.

Yes, I do load using my best practice technique. I F/L resize with RCBS dies set to my cartridge headspace dimension and achieve better than 1/4” MOA @ 100yds .. but in the field when you’re hunting in less than ideal ‘range’ shooting conditions, in the most uncomfortable shooting position to take your quarry, freezing your nuts off, wet through, all you need is confidence in your rifle ammo combination, so you know if the shot goes pear shaped, its the shooter not the kit.
Have fun choosing your tools.

Lots to think about on the thread....some really great information from everyone.

Thinking I'll just get plain old dies. My goal is to simply reproduce a factory load that the gun already likes- so I've got a good set of dimensions and a known bullet to start with. I'm generally the kind of shooter than fiddles until I get something that works the way I want and then I'm all done experimenting and just reproduce it in volume.

Heck, if I can get an honest 1.5" group from a hunting load- that'll do for as far as I'll shoot at a critter- anything under that is just icing. Don't get me wrong, I've got a couple of 1/2" rifles and it's gratifying to see that kind of group, but it's not really a requirement for the shooting or hunting I do.

If there's any experimentation that I want to do- it's with a wider variety of cartridges and hunting bullets rather than wringing the gnat hair off an already good load.

This has been very informative and I appreciate all of the input.

Hodgey,
I like those Hornady Custom Grade dies as well,( especially when they have that promotion, that they send
You a box of 100 bullets, of your choice, when you buy their dies) They will do about anything; that you and I ; probably would ever want to do. (y)
You know their are folks that would buy a "Snap On" wrench in 19/32nds; just to take out one bolt, one time ???? Ok. :shock:

I've pretty much gone to all Lee dies, but then I like them for their simplicity of set up and I'm not chasing match grade accuracy either. Still, with my factory hunting guns I can get them all to shoot at or below MOA, which I'm more than happy with.

If I were starting over, I'd get the Lee ultimate die sets. All 4 dies (seater, FL, collet and crimp) for about $45-50. I've not used the Lee factory crimp dies yet, but I believe for at least my .280 and AccuBond loads, I will start doing so this year.

But truth be told, there's nothing wrong with any of them really. Any of them can reproduce ammo that precisely fits your individual gun, and that usually results in accurate ammo with proper load development. Good luck. Let us know how your load development goes.

I have only ran RCBS and the Lee ultimate die sets. Have to say the Lee’s have been making some great ammo in my 6.5 CM. With either the full length die or the neck sizing die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw difference in my 300 RUM reloads after I switched from RCBS to the Forster Bench rest die set.
Have been very pleased with the results. I'm planning to purchase the same Forester set up for my 30-06 real soon now.

Don

I reload for 10 different rifle calibers and have RCBS, Redding and Lee dies. The last few die sets I've purchased have been Lee's. They are economical, easy to set up and use, and are capable of making some very accurate ammo. The Lee's ultimate die set that I use for my 6.5 CM is top notch in my opinion.

Back