Difference in bullets?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I opened a box of Speer Hot-Cor bullets for the 35 Whelen and notice difference in ogive length. All the bullets were the same length (1.220") but when measured with the Hornady comparator, I had different results.

9 bullets=.616"
11 bullets=.620"
19 bullets=.632"

I have never had a box of bullets vary so much. The comparator was the Hornady 10-35 so it is the correct one for .35 bullets.

Do you think I should worry about the .016" difference in ogive or just set the seating die and load them up?

I would shoot them in their "groups" and note the differences. I backed into a similar discovery with my 264 win after exhausting many other causes of inaccuracy and sizeable expense; yes I believe they will cause sizeable group variation and major grief/lack of confidence/perplexion for you and your quest to find an optimum load. Kevin.

If you're a tried and true sub MOA shooter...you will likely notice the difference...if not, load em and shoot em.

Also...do you shoot past 300 yards? Again...if not...load em and shoot em.

Load one of each bullet with the same powder charge and shoot them at a 200 yard target...then load 3 of the same ogive with the same powder charge and shoot them at a 200 yard target.

The results of that should tell you everything you need to know.

I would load one of each and since you have comparator I would check base of case to ogive and it may not be that much.

Out of curiosity, what weight?

Agree with the general trend here. They're not match bullets, they're hunting bullets intended for modest ranges. I suspect that they will serve just fine in that role.

Load 'em, shoot 'em and hunt with them. They should do fine!

Regards, Guy

I just opened a new box of CTBST bullets and found I had to adjust my seating die about .024" deeper to get the same base to ogive length I had with the old box of bullets.

I would just load them and shoot. I doubt that you will be able to tell much of a difference in that application.

Those Speer 250's have been very accurate in my 35 Whelen without much fuss. I am betting if you load them and find the sweet spot, they'll work real well for you.

I just went through the 200 bullets I have on hand and it was about even. 50% were .616" and the other 50% were .632". I now have them separated and will shoot one group first and then the other. I am guessing they had the bullets coming off 2 machines at the same time while they were boxing them up.

Back