different ogive lengths

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I am trying out the 175 SMK again after doing a load development last week, they shot well. Made a batch today, after seating a bullet and i checked ogive to check proper settings, it was spot on. Seated a 2nd bullet and checked ogive again, it was off by .008" and I did not readjust the seating die and resumed a 3rd and it was spot on again, 4th one was off .004" and so on. I measured the ogive of each bullet from the box and they measured .641", .644" and .649" out of 25 bullets. There are 3 different lengths and is it normal?

I was thinking to sort each bullet to its own respectable length or is it a waste of my time?

I just got a 500 round batch of the 168's and would it be worth it to sort them by ogive length?

Sorry guys for talking about Sierra on a Nosler forum. :oops:

Sometimes it depends on how firm you seated the bullet.
I can change the seating depth just by bumping the ram handle when the bullet is seated and still in the die all the way and it will change the seating depth.
I do have a o-ring under the Redding micro seater stem which is suppose to help with seating bullets more consistent and as long as I don't tap the shell in the die after seating a bullet it works very well.
Doing the same thing consistently will help getting the bullets all seated the same.
I don't measure every bullet and sort them but I do check OAL on each round loaded and if I have to adjust the stem for each bullet I will so I usually get them with in a couple of thousandths long of where I want them and then adjust the stem so they are all seated the same

TD, I did some checking, took the die apart to check bullet seat in the seating stem and it rests on the ogive, not the tip. Next thing I did was sort each bullet according to BTO measurement and loaded 20 rounds, perfect and spot on at 2.260" Using the .641" batch, all seated the same. I have another loaded batch with variances in base to ogive and will shoot them to see if it has any effect on accuracy.

if you want to do some homework ; you could take one from each length and weigh it . then I'd check the COAL to see where they contact the lands . these could be much closer than .008" in COAL to touching the rifling . I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say , kind of confusing .

Are you compressing the powder? I have had the compressed powder push a bullet back out to give different base to ogive readings.

NYDAN":3ouqw962 said:
Are you compressing the powder? I have had the compressed powder push a bullet back out to give different base to ogive readings.

No sir, I used a drop tube, don't like compressed powder for this reason.

Back