What to do in a difficult situation?

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Earlier in the week my gunsmith notified me that my 6BR was ready, she had a new barrel spun on so I got my truck checked and all fluids topped off for the 12 hour round trip, my wife and I left at 3 am, ride was smooth and drinking coffee along the way. About 4 hours in, the truck started vibrating like a tire weight flew off a tire, was not so severe and we kept driving, it started to get more pronounced that I felt that there is something wrong and pulled in at a gas station out in the middle of no where, population was 1900 people. Checked the wheels, and right side tire showed fresh marks on the leading edge of the tire and the left wheel as well. Got the floor jack out from the back of the truck, glad I brought it, and jacked up the front, and the wheel was moving sideways when I checked, and knew that its not good. I tried to see if I could drive it to the nearest city, but I could barely drive over 5 mph , since the steering wheel was moving left and right pretty bad. Looked like it was the idler arm that went bad. Called a few wreckers but they were based around 20 to 40 miles out in bigger cities, and called a few mechanics in the local area and out about 20 miles, and most of them were not interested in doing a emergency job since we were out of town, some says next week i can do it, or I'll take a look at it without much concern. I did not feel confident if I got a wrecker to take the truck to that destination and the truck will not be fixed that day. So I thought hard about what the @#$% I can do, since my concern was my wife so made a call to a friend back in our hometown for a flat bed wrecker, he did not have one but called a friend of his, and we spoke and he said he has a quick job to do, but once he is done, he will go back to the shop and get her ready for the trip to pick us up and the HD 2500 truck. We sat in a booth of a Burger King outlet which was filled with the smoke and the smell of burnt burgers, it was hazy inside and locals chatting loudly, sat for 7 freaking hours before he showed up. Drove the truck up the flatbed wrecker and we sat cramped up in the one row seater. Guy was nice and we chatted up along the way, took 4 hours and called a buddy about the truck before we got home, he said his shop is closed for the day, and he gave me the combination to the gate to drive in to leave my truck to be fixed. Good to have good people help when needed in a situation. Our family picked us up at the shop, and we ate a quick meal and as soon as we got home, took a shower and was out like a light once we settled in bed. Imagine being stuck out in the middle of no where and no parts shops in sight for parts, no one willing to fix your truck in an emergency situation does make you wonder and go nuts on how you will be able to get the truck back home on a Friday with the weekend coming. We were blessed and I thank the Lord that we got home the same day with our truck. I was out $950 bucks for the tow back home, but money is no object because its where we wanted to be at that time which was back at home, its a need to do situation.
I'll talk about my 6 BR build in another thread. By the way, my gunsmith was kind enough to drive the remaining 2.5 hours to meet me at Burger King to drop off my 6 BR he built, gave him a tip for his time and fuel,,,200 bucks plus the parts and labor for the build.

Last edited:
Back