Does "Overlap" bother you?

Don't think of it as overlap, think of it as a backup that will do the same. If you use that philosophy you may find you need to buy a few more rifles. :grin:

I try not to purchase the same caliber that I already have

Mark,

I try not to purchase the same calibre, either. It is obvious that I'm not very successful in this endeavour.

1. Overlap is healthy because It fulfills my need for security. What if one brakes?

2. I can buy fewer caliber bullets.

3. It gives me a point of comparison between the two types of guns.

3. It's kind of like a fat layer. If times get really tough I can live off my excess.

4. If my conscious bothers me about the "Heartbreak of overlap" I can divest myself of the shameful excess. Of course now I have to deal with "Rifle deficiency anemia" :shock:
The only known cure is administered my the likes of "Gunbroker.com". :wink:

5. It's not really overlap if they have different colored stocks or scopes or slings, is it? :twisted:

1. Overlap is healthy because It fulfills my need for security. What if one brakes?

2. I can buy fewer caliber bullets.

3. It gives me a point of comparison between the two types of guns.

3. It's kind of like a fat layer. If times get really tough I can live off my excess.

4. If my conscious bothers me about the "Heartbreak of overlap" I can divest myself of the shameful excess. Of course now I have to deal with "Rifle deficiency anemia"
The only known cure is administered my the likes of "Gunbroker.com".

5. It's not really overlap if they have different colored stocks or scopes or slings, is it?

Truly an analytical response. This is a thing of beauty! :mrgreen:

They are not "over lapping" rifles, they are would be loaners....;}
I own 3, 308 win.
A M-24 clone, a Mauser with a 20" barrel and a left handed savage 110 with a 18" barrel.

I overlap within the same caliber as well as overlap with differernt calibers that are close enough where one could serve both. Just depends what I plan on or what I might expect. Most all are single load/use specific.

Dave

Let's face it... most of the plethora of cartridges between 6mm and .30cal perform so similarly in the field on average game critters at average ranges that from a practical standpoint most of us have considerable "overlap" with only a couple of rifles, but it doesn't bother me a bit. Every critter I've shot for the last ten years would be just as dead with any of several dozen different cartridges but variety is the spice of life I guess.

That said I seem to have had a proliferation of .30cal rifles.

Hell POP I love overlap! Lets see I've got:

.204 Ruger, .223 Rem X 2, 6X47 Rem, .243 Win X 2, .25-06 Rem, 6.5x55, .270 Win, .30-30 Win X2, .30-40 Krag, .300 Savage, .30-06 X 2, .300 H&H, .303 British, 8x57, 8mm-06, .338-06, .358 Win, .35 Whelen, .375 JDJ, and .375 Ruger.

Can't imagine there is a gap there that needs to be filled, and I've got a ton of cartridges I run that are similar in performance. I've tried to thin the herd but can't the only rifles in cartridges I've tried I wound up selling off: 7mm-08, .280 Rem, .280 GNR, and 7mm Rem Mag. Cartridges I still want to try: .17 Fireball, .20 Practical, .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmore, 6.8 Rem Spc, 9.3X57 & 62, and .458 Win. I usually pick just one rifle that I'm going to hunt with a year and work with it pretty much exclusively, this year I hunted pronghorn with the 6x47 and deer with the .25-06, didn't draw an elk tag. Hopefully going back to AK for bear next spring thinking the .375 JDJ might get the nod this time.

Yep drives me nuts because you can only shoot 1 at a time and you always have your favorite and the others just seem to sit around a bunch.

I've got what I need to cover what I hunt and shoot to my desire in a 222, 243, 264 WM, and 338 EDGE. I've switched around quite a bit over the years, but I always seem to not have much overlap. I usually have a specific

The 6mm, 6.5mm, and 338 are all great for LR shooting because of there BCs.

If I had to, I could do without the 222 and 243 and just have a 2 gun battery in a 25-06 or 264 WM for coyotes/deer, and my 338 EDGE for elk/bear. But everyone really needs a short range varmint/squirrel rifle in a 222 or 223 flavor.

Dont make much sense to me to have 2 of the same calibers, or even close in performance, unless of course your made of money...

Elkman":16ut4cbp said:
taylorce1 says!
Can't imagine there is a gap there that needs to be filled,

17!!!!

I'm looking hard at .17 Fireball barrel for on of my Stevens 200 rifles I have. I've got one that is just an action in my safe that I picke up. It might get made into a 17, or the .20 Pracitcal still up in the air on that one.

Probably why I haven't bought a rifle in a while. I can't justify spending the money for a rifle that won't satisfy a need vs a desire to have.

My list: 204, 223, 243, 270WSM, 7RUM, 300 Sav, 308 Win, 30-06, 300RUM, 338WM, 338RUM, 375RUM.

Rich, you have about EVERYTHING covered, except for maybe a big bore lever rifle! Scotty

Quarter bores are notoriously absent... .257 Weatherby or .25-06

I can't say that I have much overlap, but they are pretty close. I have a 223 AI and a 22-250AI, 1 is 7 lbs and the other 11, no guessing which gets more use! The lighter 20" 223AI of course.

Other than that I am down to my 257 wby vanguard, 264 savage heavy barrel that I am trying to sell because my 6.5 RUM is finished and just waiting for the stock, a 308 Parker Hale that I bought for really cheap that is in the mail, a T3 tactical 300 win and a Rem 700 SPS 300 RUM.

Of these, I primarily use the 223 AI, 257 wby and if hunting something bigger than WT the 300 RUM. I could survive with just those 3 very easily, but the 22-250 AI and 6.5 RUM hopefully will get enough range time to justify thier existence. I do have a couple barrel blanks slowly making their way to me, but that may be awhile. oh yeah and a 44 Ruger semi from the 60's with a .15-4.5 bushnell in tipoff mounts.

JT.

Back