Does Powder Get Old?

MattStevens

Beginner
Feb 23, 2005
I recently was given two cans of IMR powder, (the father of a good friend passed away). Both cans show minor signs of none climate controlled storage, (ie. stored on the shelf of a garage). The manufacture date is 1994, but neither can of power was ever opened. Should this powder be trusted to perform with the consistency of a new can of powder straight from the store? I hate to pour it out, but didn't want to chance something that wasn't prudent from the start.

I used an absolutely pristeen can of H4895 just last week for some .243 reloads and it worked flawlessly. And it was 30 years old.

If the can show any signs of wear or exposure to great amounts of heat/cold, I would pour them on the lawn as fertilizer.

Otherwise, use away!

Are you serious about pouring the powder on the lawn? If it acts as fertilizer that is what I'll do. Thanks for the response.

Absolutely serious. Just spread it evenly, not in a big pile. Maybe test a little section first to see how your lawn reacts. Should green it right up.

I have used powder from the 60's and 70's and had no ill effects but as the previous post stay away from it if it appears it has gathered moisture. However, the only problem will be low pressure if it has gathered moisture so as long as it you know that it has not been mixed it should be safe to use. I wouldn't go hunt dangerous game with it though.

Yes it does. We discovered this the bad way when my dad shot a spike elk 3 times with 30 year old reloads and faild to kill the elk. The rest of the reloads found there way to the round file.

About that spike Elk. What caliber and bullet was used? Where were the 3 hits made? What was the action of the bullets on impact? I do agree that old reloads can lose power with age, but this can be verified with chronographing the loads prior to using them. But to the original poster who was questioning the quality of powder still in the can. "Old" powder that has deteriorated, regardless of age, will have a strong acidic smell that is missing in fresh powder. Trust your nose on this. And yes, storage facility has a big impact on powder. As the old saying goes, "keep your powder dry". I have aprox. 34 lbs. of original H4831 military surplus that predates the new manufactured powder that is now manufactured and marketed by Hodgdon. Date of manufacture = unknown. Date of surplus recovery = probably mid to late 1950's. Purchased by my dad in the mid 1960's and stored properly all these years. Currently using this powder for load development for a new .300 Win. Mag., and looks like I will have a load with 180 grn. Partitions that exceeds factory velocity by 160 fps and provides 7/8"-1" groups. Awesome stuff, but only with a quality powder.

Back