Does Run-out matter?

Saw that yesterday, interesting results. I think it matters a bit more with sporter weight barrels. I experimented with a 30-06 once and found that group size doubled at 100 yards.

good video . I kind of did this myself a while ago . not to the extremes he did . I found anything under .005 seemed to shoot the same , that's as far as I went .

Interesting, long ago I used to check run out thinking that I may make crooked ammo, but after a while, I stopped checking run out, knowing that my groups are fine enough for me since there are other environmental / human errors if my groups goes astray even though I am meticulous in prepping my cases.
Edit: Went to the garage to check run out on 3 calibers, all vary from .002 -.003" which is good for me.
The 147's in the 6.5 Creed have .002-.003" runout and the cold bore made a splash on my gong at 600 yards, followed by the 2nd and 3rd round in the same splash. I'm happy.

Attachments

• gong.jpg
    gong.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
One thing I noticed is his ES on each set got worse. By him inducing run-out on the loaded rounds , his neck tension became inconsistent. I think that it had more to do with the vertical than run-out.

Back