Dogs for hunting

Great posts. I am a little surprised by how few members have dogs, in the "old" days everybody had a dog or several.

Earle---aaahhhhhhhh

Dr Mike, did you even follow the coon dogs on a coon hunt when you were a boy. I accompanied my dad on a few hunts. Do you fellows in the midwest and south still go on coon hunts in the middle of the night ? Ridgerunner, do you still coon hunt ?

Cleveland48, it is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the fight in him---do I have that old saying correct ?

BTW Dr Mike, John, we cheated I guess, we just shot them, no knife for us until after they were dead

Bruce, my husband was a big John Wayne fan. He was terrible about calling city folks "pilgrim"

Cloverleaf, loved your story about your dog and what your grandpa said

My hosts have a Scottish Deerhound--ugly as sin.

My last 2 Labs are female black as I was trying to go back to original. My oldest is named Colt and she just turned 13 this past December and my younger one Belle is 10 and is a black female. I got her when I retired and with her we went the pedigree route as her sire was # 5 in North America not sure what that means anymore :mrgreen: and her Mom was top in show many times. Unfortunately Belle has been a money pit having blown both ACLs and has had many other medical issues. She has not hunted since she 4 years old. Now my old girl was a true hunter she has never been out worked but sadly I had to stop hunting her at 10 because of Arthritis she is one miserable lady when I get out the shotgun and she realizes that she is not going :mrgreen:.
Our next pup will be a female but likely not a Lab as there so many medical problems in the breed with ACLs & EIC!!
Have a photo of Colt :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Attachments

• 6A08613A-9161-4DF8-8F47-A42906EC10DB.jpeg
    6A08613A-9161-4DF8-8F47-A42906EC10DB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,738
Here is a photo of my Son’s 16th birthday present his name was Solo, he was as tough a Lab that would only hunt alone. I believe he was a mix of Lab & blonde Mule :mrgreen:. He would hunt with the best of them and would then decide he had enough & would walk back to the truck find shade then sleep tried a shock collar but you know the saying no sense no feelings :shock:.
He became a lap dog at 8 and truly loved children in fact my kids loved to get him going by pretending to fight with me he wouldn’t let me close to them (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Attachments

• 8CB1A65B-C894-44CA-BBD5-3B4DCB194B9A.jpeg
    8CB1A65B-C894-44CA-BBD5-3B4DCB194B9A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,737
I’ve had 3, all before I started hunting. The Shepherd/ Lab mix that flunked out of Leader dog school was my favorite. He always knew who the Alpha was, and stayed by their side. My wife didn’t like being number 2, but was happy she wasn’t 3 or 4.

He was FAST. Saw him run a whippet down multiple times. The whippet was shocked to have another dog catch him.

He could catch rabbits and did it regularly. He learned they make hard turns so he’d run off Center and when they’d turn the wrong way... mid morning snack time. Happily he never wasted one. He’d share with our Golden who could not catch her tail let alone a rabbit. She too flunked from leader dog.

Fun topic. Sad I don’t have pictures to upload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This wasn't a hunting dog, well actually they were used for that to hunt moose was a Norwegian Elk Hound that I had. I sure loved that dog. I used to take him coyote hunting with me and while I was set up calling, he would be nosing around usually inside of 50 yards from me. Coyotes would see him and here me calling and would come and it game them something to focus on instead of me where I was calling from. He was very pretty and strong like a bull. He weighed about 50 pounds and was solid. Had stamina forever. The Vikings used them as guard/fighting dogs and of course the Norwegians to hunt moose with.

Currently we have a chocolate colored Cocker Spaniel who is a loving pet. The second dog is our Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. She's really pretty and weighs about 32 pounds. Smart as a whip. First time I took her duck hunting she was about a year old. She went right in on the first retrieve with my friends black lab. Next time she ran in until she was about half way up her legs and that was it. She figured that 0 degrees out and icy cold water wasn't for her. That is all the farther she wanted anything to do with going in the water. It was pretty funny, and she's pretty darn smart. I haven't had a chance to get her back out there to chase some more ducks. She does love the water and loves to retrieve though. I was thinking I should take her to small creek I know where we could jump shoot some ducks walking the creek and she wouldn't have to get quite as wet as the river we were in the first time. It might give her a chance to feel the excitement on a retrieve and get her to where she would realize how much "fun" she should be having.

David

April,

I have hunted coon over hounds, but that is somewhere in the rearview mirror--so far back that I can't see it!

DrMike":31qzr0xf said:
April,

I have hunted coon over hounds, but that is somewhere in the rearview mirror--so far back that I can't see it!
Maybe you need those larger towing mirrors Dr. Mike! :lol:

I do still coon hunt occasionally, I no longer have coonhounds of my own but I still travel in those circles and have friends that do.

I had coonhounds all my life until 2006, at that time my job started taking all my time so I gave my last hound to a young boy that was happy to have him... This was the Black and Tan I mentioned above, it was hard to give him away but he still loved to hunt and I no longer had time.

After having been offered as much as $3,500 for that dog by the breeder I got him from as a pup, I gave him to a 12 year old boy, lol... That boy is now a young man, and still coon hunts with descendents of that old hound.

Ridgerunner665":1z7mj9sr said:
I do still coon hunt occasionally, I no longer have coonhounds of my own but I still travel in those circles and have friends that do.

I had coonhounds all my life until 2006, at that time my job started taking all my time so I gave my last hound to a young boy that was happy to have him... This was the Black and Tan I mentioned above, it was hard to give him away but he still loved to hunt and I no longer had time.

After having been offered as much as $3,500 for that dog by the breeder I got him from as a pup, I gave him to a 12 year old boy, lol... That boy is now a young man, and still coon hunts with descendents of that old hound.

And "this" my friends is what it is all about. Kudo;s to you sir

David, you are on a roll today, great post above and I also wondered why cheyenne had not given Share tree her unbiased opinion lol

Dr Mike, I hear you loud and clear. They dont make rear view mirrors large enough to let us look back that far, but the memories are still in our minds--well in my case, even the this is becoming questionable

Ol' Clark has been a great hunting companion and he looks after security at home when I'm not around. What a dog. Sometimes almost regal, often just a clown. Then we hit the hunting fields and he's all business. Well, mostly. :)

oxV4cldl.jpg

3RlY8h5l.jpg

8WSbU1tl.jpg

Mostly we hunt chukar on public land, but I also belong to a pheasant club, because I love hunting those big bright birds! He's a German Wirehaired Pointer, and took first award in a senior dog category at the 2016 GWP Nationals:

ciPAPRUl.jpg

Mostly though, he's just my buddy. Guy

Guy, one of my most remembered hunts with dogs was with a couple of older gentlemen that my dad had worked with for most of his life. They both had a couple of pointers and the oldest gentleman had a very old German Short. I drove the guys around in a jeep cuz they couldn't keep up with their dogs anymore. The German Short rode on the hood of the jeep and when the younger dogs pointed he'd jump down and run out and find a bird to point. But he was the first to get to a downed bobwhite. It was a great weekend.

Does anyone hunt with Weimeraners, those are the most hard headed dogs I ever hunted over.

April, if anyone called me "Pilgrim" I'd have to respond with "fill your hands............".

Interesting how life is yesterday I posted about my bird hunting partner Colt :). Last night she had supper then played with her new squeaky toy :mrgreen: and shortly after that she started to act quite odd :(.
We got her to lay down & she could no longer stand up, this morning she crossed the bridge :cry: & is running free with all my Labbies!
Things changed in a instant, Vet stated she had a tumour in her abdomen that ruptured :(.
It sure hurts to lose a hunting partner :cry:.

Blessings,
Dan

Attachments

• BE8A1D09-4B96-4D01-9BDF-AAA5F7B1E154.jpeg
    BE8A1D09-4B96-4D01-9BDF-AAA5F7B1E154.jpeg
    988 KB · Views: 2,085
Dan, sorry for your loss. That photo makes me want to scratch her ears.

Dan my prayers are with you since I know what it's like to lose a family member.
This guy stayed with me while I lay waiting for help to arrive after I fell and broke my ankle. He wasn't much on hunting but he sure new how to love you.
This picture is the last day off his life. He had tumors in his stomach and had a hard time keeping food down so I had him put to sleep to end his suffering.
I have looked at a few more since but I just can't bring one home after the trauma I went threw with holding him while the Vet put him down.

Attachments

• NCM_0333.JPG
    NCM_0333.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,070
Dan, that's just not good. I feel for you. It's never easy, losing a good dog.

Guy

sask boy":6w9rfwrg said:
Interesting how life is yesterday I posted about my bird hunting partner Colt :). Last night she had supper then played with her new squeaky toy :mrgreen: and shortly after that she started to act quite odd :(.
We got her to lay down & she could no longer stand up, this morning she crossed the bridge :cry: & is running free with all my Labbies!
Things changed in a instant, Vet stated she had a tumour in her abdomen that ruptured :(.
It sure hurts to lose a hunting partner :cry:.

Blessings,
Dan

That is painful, my brother. Like good friends, our pets are always with us, giving and never asking much in return.

Sorry for your lost Dan. It is tough to lose a friend, family member. You were blessed to have Colt's companionship.
Duane

Just doesn't seem right to loose one, we're never ready.
Never good to spoil them either. Mine are not allowed on the couch
IMG_1987.JPG

4e7e7baef9855cab30412e7c94fc439a.jpg

Nothing like hunting with a good dog ! Makes an outing way more enjoyable.

Back