Dogs when hunting

hunternyny

Handloader
Feb 6, 2012
does anyone have a dog they use when hunting big game, that they also use for bird hunting and if so what breed

Sorry John, it doesn't look like anyone on this forum uses dogs and you already know that we use the Boykin. We have ran through several different breeds and this little guy fits best for us. He is excellent on a big game blood trail, he works well both upland and water bird hunting, and he is small and stays quiet in the canoe until he is ask to work. He is a constant companion regardless of the type of hunting we are doing

Sorry, I do not use a dog although I have considered taking the family dog out to the deer blind with me.
He is a Yellow Lab Basset Hound mix. He is 85 lbs of stupid but he loves being in the woods with me.
Ernie021608.jpg

When we have seen deer or turkeys, he sits next to me and watches, never making a sound.

YK,

Sounds like a great dog.
Do you have a picture of him you can post?

JD338

We use dogs in our area for hunting but I've never hunted with one dog.

Those Boykins sound like cool dogs Cheyenne.

Jim I throw my son Jeff's chocolate Cocker Spaniel in the mix. He thinks he is ferocious but he's actually the biggest coward on the block!

053.jpg

What good is this thread without pictures? :grin: :mrgreen: :p

yukon huntress":2yj03k07 said:
Sorry John, it doesn't look like anyone on this forum uses dogs and you already know that we use the Boykin. We have ran through several different breeds and this little guy fits best for us. He is excellent on a big game blood trail, he works well both upland and water bird hunting, and he is small and stays quiet in the canoe until he is ask to work. He is a constant companion regardless of the type of hunting we are doing

Never heard of them, they do sound neat.

Here is Angel our 16+ year old Lab. She has been a wonderful dog, very loyal and fiercely protective. I wish I would have had some video of her chasing bears out of the strawberries and fruit trees at the old family farm when she was young, she was like a yellow heat seeking missile :) Can't say enough good things about her.

Spring2012045.jpg

Spring2012039.jpg

Spring2012041.jpg

Old yellow labs are comforting. Generally, they've really mellowed, though they can still muster enough energy to defend the master.

Its illegal here except for winter mountain lion hunting season. I have two English Setters that I use for bird hunting.

I use a Brittany for deer stalking and have a Hungarian Vizsla pup in training as a succession plan, on the odd occasion use the dogs for bird hunting.
To be honest I feel a little lost when I hunt without a dog, I generally stalk by myself and often rely on the dog for direction, she has the nose may as well let her use it.
Cheers,
Waldo

I have a dog with me at all times. She stays with me or the horses. Good distraction when you run into a bear. She tells me when the wolves are close. Real good company.

Waldo":2j0w3qz1 said:
I use a Brittany for deer stalking and have a Hungarian Vizsla pup in training as a succession plan, on the odd occasion use the dogs for bird hunting.
To be honest I feel a little lost when I hunt without a dog, I generally stalk by myself and often rely on the dog for direction, she has the nose may as well let her use it.
Cheers,
Waldo

John,

The two dogs mentioned are both very good hunting dogs. In fact if only upland hunting they would be better than the Boykin as they point and the Boykin does not, they flush. We have had all three and a few others before settling on the Boykin breed. He just fits for us, as he is a better blood trail tracker than the other two mentioned. He is even able to track a wounded moose that heads into water. But he also is a very good bird retriever both in water and the field, and he flushes the birds up close to you when hunting upland. A big selling point for us over the Vizsia is he is quiet. As we use a canoe and he lays still when in the canoe. He also will ride quietly on the back of a back mule when he wants to rest for awhile and this is important as we use horses a lot. A Brittany would also be quiet, but they didnt seem to stay on a big game blood trail as well as the Boykin. But if you just want a companion, I agree with many others, get a lab. They are very loving family dogs

thank you very much everyone. Cheyenne, thanks for the insight. We. of course, are not as hard core hunters as you and your husband, but the idea of one dog for everything interests us. We looked up the boykin and my wife really liked the way they looked and that they were small. Our Lab passed away recently. If we get on we will have it professionally trained so it will done correctly.

Thanks to all

Our hunting club uses Walker Hounds, Beagles , or German Short Hair for running deer. My Black Lab has been great in the duck blind or tracking downed deer. One of buddies raises and uses Brittanys for upland birds and jumping deer. Another friend of mine uses Boykins for turkey and deer.

Illegal for big game here as well. Which I find dumb as a good dog could assist on tracking wounded game.

I try and get Ruger out for geese and ducks though. Here he is bringing in a big honker this fall.

894C359C-06FD-472E-87E3-F70DEB218462-670-0000029A93C3B86B.jpg

Back