dumb luck

onesonek

Handloader
Apr 4, 2008
I'm still not up to snuff yet for hunting this year,but thought I would share this.
My son hasn't had much time either due to having get as much work done before the temps., and snow shuts him down. Regular firearms came and went without filling the tag, but now it's ML season.
On the way to town, he spotted this buck laying in a fence line about 500 yds off the highway about a 1/2 mile south of town this morning. Wind and position was right for a crawl into range, so he gave it a try.
He got within a 150 yds. when the buck busted him. Running dead away, Matt was hoping he would stop or turn before it was too far, (my thought's he was a bit far anyhow). He did turn to slightly quartering. Matt made the hold corrections and let the 295 gr. PowerBelt go out his new Encore ProHunter, ahead of a 100 gr. charge, at 200 yds.. Long shot I thought again for that load. But the buck took the hit behind the ribs and did a nose plant. I could feel the PowerBelt under the hide in the brisquet.
He was running late for the concrete truck arrival, so he brought it here quick. We hung it in the tree in back, and I gutted it here. That had to be a chore dragging all that 600-700. I asked where the he!! knife was,,,,,,"at home and I'm late,,,can you do it?" " Sure, but a lot of good it does there, thats what the glove box is for". "If you have a gun in the truck, so should be a knife". I don't think he'll forget next time. Not a monster, and not overly wide, but should score ok for his age.

I'll just bury the gut pile in garden, and not tell the wife. :lol:
T
100_4550.jpg

Very funny, Dave. The garden will produce marvellously next summer. :grin: Your son did a superb jog, and it looks like a very nice buck. Congratulations to him on the shot.

That's good stuff! My dad always said, "Most of being 'that good' is not telling people when you're 'that lucky,' son!" Sounds like your boy is doing fine!

Wow, that's a good buck. Any pictures of the recovered bullet Dave? I used a 295 Powerbelt over the same charge of 100 grains of BP. Bullet grenaded pretty heavily on just a rib shot. Wondering what it looks like a slower.

Congrats to your boy.

That's what we call cashing in a coupon!! It sometimes/often times takes a long time to earn up enough blood and sweat to receive another coupon like that!! :mrgreen: That's a great buck and a great story. I thought we all carried a pocket knife, where the hecks his pocket knife?? I carry a Gerber Gator lock-back knife that has done it before. It's a bit small, but it sure works. :oops: :p Tell him congratulations. Oh and on the garden deposit, "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission!!"

Dave,

Thats great! Congratulations to your son.

JD338

6mm Remington":d251eo8h said:
That's what we call cashing in a coupon!! It sometimes/often times takes a long time to earn up enough blood and sweat to receive another coupon like that!! :mrgreen: That's a great buck and a great story. I thought we all carried a pocket knife, where the hecks his pocket knife?? I carry a Gerber Gator lock-back knife that has done it before. It's a bit small, but it sure works. :oops: :p Tell him congratulations. Oh and on the garden deposit, "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission!!"

Gerber Gator lock-back knife

That is one of my favorite knives, and the one I carry most. I do carry a fixed blade on the belt if hunting alone however, as it is quicker into action if necessary.

Scotty,,,,,,,, I will tell him to save the bullet,,,(if he remembers). I know he wanted to mount it. With that I wasn't sure, and didn't cut that far up to the bullet. And I wasn't about to cape it for him too :lol:

Congratulate your Son for me. That will put venison
on the table this winter:)

Blessings,
Dan

A very nice buck! I carry a double bladed folding Old Timer. Blades are about 3 1/2 inches long, Its small and does the job. Great buck

I remember hunting with my son and him not having a knive. I think that they do it on purpose, knowing that we will have a knife and will do the deed!

Beautiful buck & a great shot. If your good lady notices any odor when it gets warm, tell her the wind shifted & it's the "poo" plant down the road. :lol:

I don't mean to be rude, but your description of just randomly/luckily spotting that buck while driving into town makes me wonder- whose property was it on?

Assuming your son had permission to be hunting that property, congrats! Heckuva shot!

Back