Eastern Blue Bird (added second image)

Nice pictures.
I have a nesting pair of Eastern Blue Birds that hang around the house year-round.
It does help that I Keep them well feed in the winter and early spring till the insects emerge.
I made a feeder out of a walnut tree branch which I drilled holes in and filled with chunky peanut butter that I mixed bird seed and corn meal into the peanut butter. I was going through four pounds of mix a week during the winter.
These are all Eastern Blue birds in the picture. On one day last year after a snowstorm, I counted 16 Blue birds on my deck waiting for their turn at the poll.
Sorry for the poor quality of the cell phone picture.

Attachments

• KIMG0679.jpeg
    KIMG0679.jpeg
    355.2 KB · Views: 9
That is really a neat set-up. I sat on a sentencing circle on one occasions when some juveniles had illegally shot an elk. I was able to prevail in my argument that they did break the law, but severe punishment would be counterproductive. The sentencing circle agreed to have them build blue bird nesting boxes and place them throughout the region at the direction of the conservation service. The provincial ministry of the environment would provide the materials and the directions for building the boxes and direct where they were to be placed. The young men learned some valuable skills and helped the MOE in advancing the increase of western bluebirds. I love seeing the songbirds when out and about. Very good, Rodger.

Thanks Dr.M I love feeding birds and drawing them in close to watch their antics. I have seen the males feed their mates while on the feeders something most of the songbirds will do. I have a pair of Thrush who nest here every year and they came to the suit feeders for the first time this spring.
The variety of birds I get is simply amazing.
I should get a good camera and record the different birds, but I would never get anything else done.
I apologies to the OP I didn't intend to steal your post.

Beautiful pictures. We put up 3 blue bird houses last year but no takers even though they are here and would go inside the bird houses. This year, we currently have one occupied with 4 eggs in the nest. They have probably hatched by now. Hopefully next year we will have more.

JD338

I am fascinated by the love of songbirds displayed among sportsmen. The reputation of the hunter in the estimate of the non-hunting public is a brute without concern for any aesthetics. In reality, the greatest conservationists and the individuals most appreciative of all wildlife is the hunter/outdoorsman. We enjoy seeing all animals and resent any indiscriminate killing or thoughtless destruction of habitat. Most fascinating.

Thanks Dr.M I love feeding birds and drawing them in close to watch their antics. I have seen the males feed their mates while on the feeders something most of the songbirds will do. I have a pair of Thrush who nest here every year and they came to the suit feeders for the first time this spring.
The variety of birds I get is simply amazing.
I should get a good camera and record the different birds, but I would never get anything else done.
I apologies to the OP I didn't intend to steal your post.
No problem. I don’t feel that you stole the post, only added to it. I love your feeder

No problem. I don’t feel that you stole the post, only added to it. I love your feeder
Thanks Bruce. The feeder is made from scraps that were laying around and were headed for the fire pit. I tend to use whatever is available when it comes to making some things like feeders and bird houses. Generally, the older stuff will attract them easier and looks more natural.
That peanut butter seeds feeder attracts all meat and seed eating birds just like suite does only better.

Back