eastern coyote hunting methods ?

lhsako

Handloader
Jan 12, 2012
I really need to get on culling their numbers. what techniques do you guys find successful in the east? I asking about hunting here. I'm also trapping w/ no luck as of last year. I am very successful w/ fox . it's frustrating. want to put the 22-250 to work too.....

I have called in and killed many more yotes from a ground blind, with my shotgun, while calling and hunting turkeys, than I have when specifically hunting yotes.
And from noticing the amount of gobbler beards in predator scat, I can only assume they are easier to kill. Due no doubt to their big loud mouth.
When hunting specifically for predators and I include bobcats along with turkeys, I would set up where I could see a little and call with a dying rabbit call. But it has been a long time since I've done it that way. No time for it.
I've always had a soft spot for the 22-250 and I might get another one someday though I have little use for it. It "Will" get the job done.
But I gotta admit, My Browning Maxus with an extra full choke, shooting 3 1/2" #4's will start a coyotes day off pretty bad.

I use an electronic caller from ground blinds mainly. I've taken two with a bow while hunting deer right at first light. We mainly hunt em after our deer season ends.

tecumseh":2zwgrlnk said:
I use an electronic caller from ground blinds mainly. I've taken two with a bow while hunting deer right at first light. We mainly hunt em after our deer season ends.
what calls work best for you? what caller do you have?

I primarily use fence rows and natural stuff, trees etc in fields. Camo up.
Howler call, couple mouth calls, and a Foxpro with some kind of deke setup. Sometimes (early breeding season) a life size coyote deke with a flapper or something far enough away to keep their eyes off me.
When snows on I hunt early mornings or around midnight to 1 AM.
Get in there quiet and once you're set, don't move.
If I call, I only stay put 30 min or so. Seems like around here if they haven't come by then, they're either not around or not coming.

I usually get a couple of them during deer season. I flat do not like coyotes.

Forgot.
One of my buddies traps them and primarily uses snares on travel paths.

I believe that if you are catching fox, you are on the right track and will start getting coyotes soon. The nice thing about traps is they are working 24/7 compared to a guy hunting. If you really want them gone, trapping will be more effective. I don't know if you have any houndsmen around but if you do, ask them to help out. Running hounds for coyotes is a lot of fun during the winter months.

I use a fox pro to call in coyotes but honestly have had better success with open Reed mouth calls.
You need to set up either cross wind or down wind of heavy cover as they will try to circle the source of dinner down wind. The 22-250 works really well on song dogs.

JD338

lhsako":2yg60nub said:
tecumseh":2yg60nub said:
what calls work best for you? what caller do you have?

I went in half on a Foxpro Hellfire with a buddy of mine. Where we deer hunt at is all hardwood timber and use baby turkey distress, a couple raccoon distress calls and pup distress. The farm I have permission to yote hunt we use dying rabbit, rabbit distress, baby rabbit and a couple different yote calls.

If you want to hunt them, I would say the biggest thing I have noticed when confronted with the what am I doing wrong question is STAY STILL.
second learn to use more then one call. i.e. Fawn, bird, elk calf, And howler and learn when to use them.

If your trapping them and don't want the fox, just squirt a little coyote urine around your set. I'm assuming your doing either a flat set, hole set, pass through or a bone set.

If fox are pressing my set and im looking for coyote I just spray a little coyote urine and use some cat based bait.

Back when I lived in michigan I used to do a lot of predator calling. One of the best methods I have used was to have multiple bait sights setup. I would set up multiple baits in various areas where we could take a peek from cover usually a couple hundred yards away. Quite often you could get a snipe at one feeding on the bait. If nothing was at the bait I would setup several hundred yards upwind of the bait and call. It is rare when a predator will pass up fresh prey even when they have been eating at a bait.

Also quite often you will get a dominate predator hitting a bait and other predators waiting for the chance to sneak in for a bite will readily respond to the call.

The best bait was what we called “meatcicles” Usually it was scraps of meat, bones, dog food soaked in water and then frozen. Either in a bucket or tote and then dumped out on the ground. This keeps them from draggin it away or birds eating it all. They will sit there and knaw on it for hours maximizing the amount of time they spend at the bait.

This method has proven effective for fox, coyotes, bobcat, lynx, and even occasonal wolf.

Back