ELD load work ups strikes again

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Took the .308 Crusader out to try a load work up: Varget 42.1 grains to 43.3 grains in .3 increments. Used the 178 grain ELD-X this time instead of the 178 ELD-M. Wanted a decent hunting load for next season besides my favorite 168 Ballistic Tips. Used fired once Lapua brass (full sized), Fed. 210M primer, 42.7 grains Varget, ELD-X 178 grain, COAL at 2.841", 2655 fps on the Oehler35, ( mild load ) with extreme spread of 6 with 5 shots. Crosswind at 280 degrees at 15 mph. I guess no tweaking needed on first time out to the range. :mrgreen:

I guess I need to stop load work ups because I cannot decide which load to shoot with and start shooting more. :lol: Bergers, Ballistic Tips and ELD worked very well for me. Time to call GA Precision to build me a new Crusader 6.5 Creedmoor with 1:8 twist and 26 inch barrel.

My wife tells me " How many more guns are you going to buy? " :roll:

Idc4ubg.jpg

Awesome shooting stick you have there!
But, it still takes a guy behind the trigger to make it perform like that.......that is some awesome shooting!

Nice shooting. 2 Clicks East and you are good to go.

JD338

Sweet! Those ELD's will shoot. As far as which load to go with, I'd keep them all. it's nice to have options, plus the different color tips allow you to accent your range outfits :mrgreen: they'd all work great on deer and speed goats!

jimbires":2bkqv44e said:
if only they were all that easy to load for .
Truth be told..... every GA Precision gun is that easy in a 308 Win. that case has always proven to punch a single hole when the gun is put together well.

Nice Shooting TD! Yes please stop with the madness! :mrgreen: Although with the 308 Win. that barrel will still be accurate well past 5,000 rounds, so why not use it for practice all you want! (y)

Thanks longrange. I wanted to experiment with at least two hunting bullets for next season, the 168 Nosler BT and the ELD-X 178 grain are winners in this rifle. Sorry for being too picky about one hole groups. :lol: My next mission is the new 300 Win Mag that I sent off to have the bolt face fixed ( still waiting for it's return ) and do a work up on the 130 / 140 VLD's for the 6.5 x 284. The new 6.5 Creedmoor from GA Precision will take at least 6 to 7 months turn around time and that will keep me a little occupied on the reloading table. (y)
longrangehunter":25kw81pl said:
jimbires":25kw81pl said:
if only they were all that easy to load for .
Truth be told..... every GA Precision gun is that easy in a 308 Win. that case has always proven to punch a single hole when the gun is put together well.

Nice Shooting TD! Yes please stop with the madness! :mrgreen: Although with the 308 Win. that barrel will still be accurate well past 5,000 rounds, so why not use it for practice all you want! (y)

The ELD-X G7 BC is for real. Ive been shooting them in my 308 at Horse Ridge out to 1,000 yards and it is the flatest shooting 308 bullet Ive ever used. 32.5 MOA DOPE for 1,000. Correlates to .268 g7 or there abouts.

I saved the last bullet from the old lot, base to ogive measurement is .693 and the new lot measurement is .692, looks like I don't need to adjust seating depth. I got some toys to play with. (y)

UjSw9zi.jpg

Back