electric powder dispensers ??

2frogs

Beginner
Aug 6, 2017
Been using the lee dippers for years now..Been thinking of getting one
of the new powder measures. So can anyone give me an idea one which
one might be the best buy. Have read several reviews on some of them
such as Hornady,RCBS,etc..If your like me and hate to buy something
that you not going to be happy with..Also looked at the Lymans...
Would appreciate your thoughts on them....Thanks..

I have an RCBS and have been very pleased with it. It is kinda slow but if you're taking time to measure every charge I think you have to plan to invest a little extra time.

Ron

I have the Lyman and have been happy with it. If accuracy is your goal it's a worthwhile investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the ISD SMART RELOADER which is no longer made that I know of, if I was buying new today I'd get an RCBS. Seems like they are accurate and work pretty quick when they are tuned up correctly.

I have the chargemasrer and like it very much. I follow calibration instructions every time I set up and it is good to go...

I've had my RCBS Chargemaster for close to eight or nine years now, if not longer. If it were to die tomorrow, I'd have another in my reloading shed before the sun set on that day. That says where I stand.

As far as being slow, I have it set to drop a charge when I place the pan on the scale. While it drops the charge, I' seating the bullet on the charge just dropped. Once you get the pace it goes quite smoothly. I use it strictly for rifle loads and use the old style hand cranked types only for handgun ammo.
Paul B.

I don't own one so I can't testify on their pros and cons. I have a lee metal shot dipper that I use for scooping powder and trickling powder on the 10-10 scale. I also have a RCBS powder measure and trickler that are collecting dust. It took me twice as long to set these up and use them then my scoop and trickle method I have developed over the years. I'm not a real big fan of electronics but have been looking for a good electronic scale that I feel I can trust for quite a while. I know they are out there just guess I'm too old school in some ways.

I started off with the kit beam scale 25 years ago, then the RCBS Partner electronic scale for 20 years and now with the ChargeMaster and tweak it off to the kernel with the FX-120. I think I am pretty anal. :mrgreen:

Not quite a powder dispenser but but a digital balance scale.
I was looking for scales after this posted stirred my interest and came across a sight explaing why Benchrest shooters don't rely on the beam scale I was raised up on and still use. there was a 10-10 RCBS sacle in the front and a satoris balance digital scale so I googled them and found they have a model for $170 that will work for what I want to do.
I was wondering if anyone has used or heard of this company since there are a few here that shoot long range and bench rest.

I have the new chargemaster light and it is fantastic. I really like the new dispenser spout, that solves the McDonald's straw issue with the chargemaster.

truck driver":31duohpa said:
Not quite a powder dispenser but but a digital balance scale.
I was looking for scales after this posted stirred my interest and came across a sight explaing why Benchrest shooters don't rely on the beam scale I was raised up on and still use. there was a 10-10 RCBS sacle in the front and a satoris balance digital scale so I googled them and found they have a model for $170 that will work for what I want to do.
I was wondering if anyone has used or heard of this company since there are a few here that shoot long range and bench rest.

I have had an RCBS Chargemaster that works very well. I use it for throwing larger volumes of charges; it really speeds things up. This particular setup has graced my bench for more than ten years. Rodger, I have a Sartorius which has become a "go to" on my bench. This is in addition to a GemPro 250. The GemPro is very accurate, but I gravitate to the Sartorius primarily because the larger footprint is convenient to work with. Both are excellent scales, however.

truck driver":32v8ea0m said:
I don't own one so I can't testify on their pros and cons. I have a lee metal shot dipper that I use for scooping powder and trickling powder on the 10-10 scale. I also have a RCBS powder measure and trickler that are collecting dust. It took me twice as long to set these up and use them then my scoop and trickle method I have developed over the years. I'm not a real big fan of electronics but have been looking for a good electronic scale that I feel I can trust for quite a while. I know they are out there just guess I'm too old school in some ways.

Where the CM really comes into it's own is when doing load work ups.
Punch in the load you want to start with, the after three or five rounds, whatever you want hit the stop button, punch in the next charge up in whatever tenths you want and dispense those. Do that all the way up until you reach the top charge you want to try. Just the time saved for a work up is well worth the cost of the CM especially when working with the log type kernals of stuff like the 4831's.
Paul B.

I just throw a charge out of the Redding powder measure that is close on the low side. A tap or two on the button of the powder trickler puts the pointer on the scale where it needs to be. Just a couple of seconds per round. I've been looking at the electronic dispensers but I haven't tried any out yet.
The one I have my eye on is the Lyman Gen 6.

I've been using a PACT electric dispenser and digital scale for years with good results and I would think the newer units that are on the market are even better. What I like is that I can be dropping a charge while doing something else (e.g. seating a bullet). Note that my press is not on the same bench as my press.

PJGunner":1f7x9q8c said:
I've had my RCBS Chargemaster for close to eight or nine years now, if not longer. If it were to die tomorrow, I'd have another in my reloading shed before the sun set on that day. That says where I stand.

As far as being slow, I have it set to drop a charge when I place the pan on the scale. While it drops the charge, I' seating the bullet on the charge just dropped. Once you get the pace it goes quite smoothly. I use it strictly for rifle loads and use the old style hand cranked types only for handgun ammo.
Paul B.

+1 RCBS Chargemaster 1500 Combo and I would replace as well.

RCBS came out with a "Lite" version in 2017 too. I have no experience with the lite version, although I read a poster above has one.

grry10":zt7qn03i said:
I've been using a PACT electric dispenser and digital scale for years with good results and I would think the newer units that are on the market are even better. What I like is that I can be dropping a charge while doing something else (e.g. seating a bullet). Note that my press is not on the same bench as my press.

Same here.

And I've got an RCBS 10-10 on my bench that i haven't used in years.
The wife bought me a Dillon DeTerminator for a birthday pesent over 20 years ago and it's pretty much all I've used since.

I got a Hornady for Christmas gift. It was a little finicky to get set up and it's a little more finicky overall than my FIL's RCBS, but I've been pleased. I have double checked it several times against stand-alone digital scales and balance beams and it's always been within 0.01 grain. It has automatic dispense feature and you can(must) adjust trickle speeds for different powders.

My only experience has been with the Charge Master. Wish I would have bought it earlier.
Duane

Back